Week 17: Dolphins at Bills - Squish the Fish playoff hopes and dreams

YoloinOhio

I think Allen and the fully healthy starters should play 2 or 3 series.   Basically follow what they did last year against the Jets in the last game.

If Brown is back I would have him play the entire first half and the first offensive series in the 2nd half to acclimatize for the playoff game.

I don't get the fear of Baltimore.  EVERY AFC playoff team is dangerous if you don't bring your A game.  IMO the Bills defense matches up well against the Ravens with their athletic & fast LB's & Safeties.  And the Baltimore defense seems to have lost a step.  This should mean that unless it's a howling windstorm the Bills could go up and down the field like the Browns did.

• Like (+1) 2

Forget the Bills fearing the Ravens or trying to avoid them.

It's the Ravens that should be trying to avoid the Bills.

I seem to recall the Bills limiting Lamar Jackson really well last season. The Bills couldn't move the ball all day, had a pretty bad day on offense, and still lost by just one score. Things on offense are, well....a little different for Buffalo this year.

Put up a couple early scores on the Ravens and they're toast. They're not built to come back from a big deficit. If it's a shootout between Allen and Jackson, I know who I'm taking.

5 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I think Allen and the fully healthy starters should play 2 or 3 series.   Basically follow what they did last year against the Jets in the last game.

Agreed 100%. Keeps everyone in the groove and keeps them from getting rusty. Hopefully allows John Brown to knock off some rust and get back in the flow of things. Allows Josh Allen to get the all-time single season passing yardage record (he only needs 39). Play them for a few series and let them sit. Or if the first series is gangbusters and they just roll down the field and score, I'm even fine with sitting them after that. I like the idea of them preparing, suiting up, and playing a bit, though.

• Like (+1) 5

On 12/30/2020 at 5:14 PM, Billsfan1972 said:

Exactly what they did last year.  I think Allen got in two series, which is probably what I expect this week.

This is the only option I really dislike. Either play in full force until the game is decided (or until Steelers game is decided), or rest selected starters completely.

What's the point of Allen&co playing two drives?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, No_Matter_What said:

This is the only option I really dislike. Either play in full force until the game is decided (or until Steelers game is decided), or rest selected starters completely.

What's the point of Allen&co playing two drives?

It would be nice for Allen and Brown to have some reps together before the playoffs start, for one thing.

They'd probably like to have the number 2 seed, also, and they can't just assume the Steelers will lose. Having the starters in for a few series -- presumably scoring against the Phins, as they are wont to do -- helps with the "winning the game" aspect of the day.

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Rhythm 

What kind of rhythm you have while playing two series?

Although it might make sense if those two drives are TDs. I just remember last year when they had two 3&outs or so and it didn't make any sense to me.

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

It would be nice for Allen and Brown to have some reps together before the playoffs start, for one thing.

They'd probably like to have the number 2 seed, also, and they can't just assume the Steelers will lose. Having the starters in for a few series -- presumably scoring against the Phins, as they are wont to do -- helps with the "winning the game" aspect of the day.

Not sure if we understand each other. I prefer them going full force. I think we need to roll and knock Dolphins out of the playoffs.

But IF we want to rest starters do it from the beginning. Or let them play full half. Just don't play couple of snaps.

7 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Not sure if we understand each other. I prefer them going full force. I think we need to roll and knock Dolphins out of the playoffs.

But IF we want to rest starters do it from the beginning. Or let them play full half. Just don't play couple of snaps.

Understood. I thought you were on the "sit everyone" train.

This is definitely a tough call and I'm glad I'm not the one that has to make it. 

There is definitely merit to keeping momentum going, ending the season with a win, sweeping the division, and knocking the Dolphins out of the playoffs. On the other hand...if, in the pursuit of those goals, Josh Allen or Stefon Diggs or Tre White gets injured, we'll all be ready to storm One Bills Drive with pitchforks. 

Tough call.

40 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Play the starters. Play to win. Lock down the #2 seed.

I see nothing gained by risking starters in a next to meaningless game. Beasley was injured in garbage time. I also see nothing gained by allowing a spoiler team ( Browns) into the playoffs over Fitzy and the Fish. Let the bearded one get his last crack at the playoffs. Tua won't last a quarter...

One last thing, getting some game time for a few of the backups is not such a bad thing. Nothing says the depth of the Bills can't win football games. It would be interesting to find out. 

Edited by Figster

6 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

How did resting the starters work out for us last year?

Do you think the 1st seeded Chiefs are worried about resting players?

Buffalo showed what coming off a bye healthy can do for you.

Edited by Figster

2 minutes ago, Figster said:

Do you think the 1st seeded Chiefs are worried about resting players?

Maybe this is why

RB Knee DNP     (-)

Tyreek Hill WR Hamstring DNP     (-)

Mike Remmers OL Back DNP     (-)

Clyde Edwards-Helaire RB Ankle DNP     (-)

Ben Niemann LB Hamstring DNP     (-)

Sammy Watkins WR calf DNP     (-)

Damien Wilson LB Knee LP     (-)

Charvarius Ward CB Hamstring FP     (-)

Mike Pennel DT Back FP
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Love this quote from Dion Dawkins:

“...We are here, you're going to respect us, you're going to play us hard. You're going to circle us on your schedule and we're going to give you the hardest 60 minutes of football that you've ever seen.”

https://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/35474/bills-transitioning-from-underdog-to-a-big-dog-in-afc-as-playoffs-approach

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

If I'm McD, If theres even the slightest doubt.

I'm resting all starters and main backups and then seperating all 3rd string players in the Dolphins game from the Bills starters in the days following. 

Fromm time...

Edited by Figster

Under the latest NFL-NFLPA protocols, players confirmed positive for COVID-19 must isolate for 10 days regardless of symptoms or subsequent negative tests.

That means Ryan Fitzpatrick's status is now also in question for a potential AFC wild-card playoff game Jan. 9 or 10.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Yep

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-ryan-fitzpatrick-20201231-abqwiighlrah5a7tvnkbmcbpzi-story.html

17 minutes ago, Figster said:

I don't see any way Tua isn't caught up in it. 

They’re on film next to each other on every defensive series.  Not always masked, either