Bills Forth-Quarter Drive Historically Dominant - Athletic article

WideNine

Tim Graham has a good article that explains just how good that last drive against Pittsburgh was.

"The Bills, however, drained every second to complete the NFL’s longest end-of-game drive this season by 51 seconds and one of the five longest against a playoff team in the 21st century.

Buffalo’s offense maintained possession so long that Pittsburgh would have found a touchdown or field goal borderline merciful. “I loved it. I loved it,” Bills coach Sean McDermott said. “I don’t care if you’re a pass-first guy or a run-first guy. That’s just fun to watch right there...”"

The Athletic requires a membership if you would like to read more - not sure I should replicate the entire article, but a good read.

https://theathletic.com/2264834/2020/12/16/bills-steelers-fourth-quarter-drive/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Tim Graham has a good article that explains just how good that last drive against Pittsburgh was.

"The Bills, however, drained every second to complete the NFL’s longest end-of-game drive this season by 51 seconds and one of the five longest against a playoff team in the 21st century.

Buffalo’s offense maintained possession so long that Pittsburgh would have found a touchdown or field goal borderline merciful. “I loved it. I loved it,” Bills coach Sean McDermott said. “I don’t care if you’re a pass-first guy or a run-first guy. That’s just fun to watch right there...”"

The Athletic requires a membership if you would like to read more - not sure I should replicate the entire article, but a good read.

https://theathletic.com/2264834/2020/12/16/bills-steelers-fourth-quarter-drive/

It just snatches the soul from your opponent when they know they need to get the ball back and score as quickly as possible. Then you have the Bills keep getting first down, after first down, after first down all while the clock just continually tick, tick, ticks away. You could see the defeat in their body language. 

Downside GIF - Find on GIFER

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

You dont have to be a run first team.  Run the ball when you need to.  Redzone, 3rd down, 4th down and 5 minute drill.  Buffalo is becoming the best situatuonal football team in the NFL.  Buffalo doesnt have a 100 yard rusher.   I think that changes the next few weeks.  

10 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

You dont have to be a run first team.  Run the ball when you need to.  Redzone, 3rd down, 4th down and 5 minute drill.  Buffalo is becoming the best situatuonal football team in the NFL.  Buffalo doesnt have a 100 yard rusher.   I think that changes the next few weeks.  

Part of it is because Moss and Singletary split carries most games. There were a few games where one or the other would have easily gotten 100 yards if they had 4 or 5 more carries.

• Like (+1) 1

I've been waiting all season to watch a drive like that. Our inability to get a first down on 3rd and 1 or 2 on run plays has been an Achilles heel all year. Even QB sneaks with a QB as big and mobile as ours isn't a sure thing. This team is riding Allen's arm all the way and the opposing teams know this. I really hope it's something they address next year,.......after the SB parade of course! 😄😄😄

2 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

I've been waiting all season to watch a drive like that. Our inability to get a first down on 3rd and 1 or 2 on run plays has been an Achilles heel all year. Even QB sneaks with a QB as big and mobile as ours isn't a sure thing. This team is riding Allen's arm all the way and the opposing teams know this. I really hope it's something they address next year,.......after the SB parade of course! 😄😄😄

What if I told you our success percentage 3rd down and 1-3 yds to go...was exactly the same, rush or pass?

33 rush attempts, 18 pass attempts

We're also 3 for 3 at 4th down rushing and 2 for 3 on 4th down passing

I know what you mean...we are a pass-driven team with a lot riding on Allen.  But we actually do run a bit more than people think, and are a bit more successful than given credit - about 40% of our non-penalty offensive plays are run plays.   It's just divided up more between games than within games.

That said - we lean on Allen a lot in the run game too.  Allen is almost 1/3 of our run game.

So we're riding Allen all the way - arms AND legs.

But lately our D has stepped up Big Time so we'll hope that continues.  Up to 15th in points allowed which is huge after where we were halfway through the season

And that 4th Q drive was beautiful to watch

• Thank you (+1) 2

I thought about starting a thread about the drive and was surprised no one did.

7 minutes 22 seconds left on the clock? That is eight seconds shy of 1/8 of the game!!! And Pittsburg had their timeouts to boot😜

We have spent a couple decades of Sundays watching that happen to the Bills. It was surreal to actually see us do it, especially after watching that D tear us up in the first half. We either wore them out or they quit. 
    Invaluable experience going into the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1