Mike Tomlin over or underrated

Big Blitz

9 hours ago, TUBSTER said:

My friend is a huge Steelers fan and he always says these things about Tomlin.  He won the Super Bowl with Cowhers team and was handed a franchise QB.  He plays down to competition a lot of the time.  And how did he not win with all the talent he had in the years with Bell, Brown, Wheaton, Bryant, and Big Ben.  I do hear that Steelers fans like complaining a lot, probably because they haven't really gone through too much hardship when it comes to football.  I think Tomlin is a good coach, but not a great one.

He kept the Steelers from imploding with AB, Ben, and Bell. I think he's underrated, especially when it comes to managing difficult personalities

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Wheaton and Bryant? Seriously? They sucked.

Neither of them were bad in 2014 and 2015, especially when you consider they're the third and fourth options on the team lol

4 hours ago, jlgarsh said:

He kept the Steelers from imploding with AB, Ben, and Bell. I think he's underrated, especially when it comes to managing difficult personalities

That's what I always say as well.  A lot of these guys that have left the Steelers turn out to be head cases and you never heard a word about it in Pittsburgh.  

2 hours ago, TUBSTER said:

Neither of them were bad in 2014 and 2015, especially when you consider they're the third and fourth options on the team lol

They wouldn't make the current roster. They are not players where you say "how do you not win with those guys?" 

He had Ben, Bell and Brown and lost to less talented Patriots teams though. That is fair. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/10/2020 at 10:11 PM, MJS said:

Seems like they inexplicably hate their team. It's a little strange to me.

Is that just a PA thing? Philly fans seem to be the same. 

6 hours ago, jlgarsh said:

I used to think the guy was worthless ( I mean he runs neither side of the ball) but then after viewing him more as a manager and less of a coach I will say he is a top 10 coach, possibly top 5. At the end of the day a teams record(multiple seasons) dictates the skill of the coach.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/10/2020 at 11:07 PM, 17islongenough said:

Every Steelers fan I know hates him

Those people are morons. 

if McDermitt ends up with Tomlin’s resume, we build him a statue, he’s a HOFer, and the greatest coach we ever had. We won’t be nit picking him. He would just be a great coach.  

It’s also hilarious how overrated Cowher.  Tomlin is better than Cowher in every category and they have the same amount of Sb wins. Yet somehow he is a superior coach to Tomlin? That makes no sense.

I heard a sports talk dork say the Jets should hire Cowher and it was hilarious.  

• Like (+1) 3

On 12/10/2020 at 11:05 PM, Big Blitz said:

Has he established himself as one of the best coaches in the league?  Thoughts?  

I know from 2013-2018 they underachieved or couldn't get past New England.  And Pittsburgh fans wanted him gone.  Remember the game he tried to trip up a guy on a kick return? 

The AB meltdown and Bell drama could have broke a lot of teams, but they were right to cut Bell loose and trade AB.  How many teams overcome that?  You can definitely say it's Ben and I agree he's one of the best ever.  

I don't know it's odd.  There are times to me he looks like one of the best then there are weeks he looks like one of the worst.  They now expect to lose to a garbage team at least once a year in Pittsburgh.  

Got a kick out of this the other day...

He plays him all the time?  Once every 4 years?

5 hours ago, Mr. K said:

Aside from tripping people on the sidelines I think he is a good coach.

I am a huge Tomlin fan. From where I stand he looks like a true leader of men.

But the sideline trip will always stick with me. It's a major blemish. For the most part, I'm able to look past it , but it will always be there.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/11/2020 at 5:26 AM, nucci said:

like most fans...including here

except the steelers have had 2SB victories and another appearance and numerous conference championships while the Bills have made the playoffs and not advanced 2 times in the past 20 years.  huge difference. most steeler fans would abandon the team if they had the past 20 years we had

Hes a hell of a coach.  Outlasted everyone since he took over other than Reid and Bill.  I respect him and what he's done.  

Having said that...thats a team that has been good for a long time due to hitting on the draft.   They rarely fail at the draft.  Their picks have been phenomenal since Ben started.  So there's that too. 

For the longest time, I felt like he was overrated.  When most coaches take over a team for the first time they usually take over a bad team without much to work with.  Tomlin took over a team that had just won a Super Bowl, had a young up-and-coming talented QB, and a very good defense lead by maybe one of the best defensive coordinators ever.  I think he benefited from a lot of help that most coaches don't get when they first become HCs.

Last year, though, I have to give him credit.  He took a team with Rudolph and Duck Hodges and nearly got them to the playoffs.   That was a darn good coaching job.

Still, though, I would say certainly at least Belichick and Payton are better.

I find his press conferences consistently embarrassing. Here’s a guy who interferes with a player in an NFL game and basically gets a pass. His schitck is kinda angry HS coach. I’m not sure this works long term. He will replace his receivers who are arguably the best in the NFL. I think the Bills are better and his angry talk is getting old. Bills 34-20. 

3 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

I find his press conferences consistently embarrassing. Here’s a guy who interferes with a player in an NFL game and basically gets a pass. His schitck is kinda angry HS coach. I’m not sure this works long term. He will replace his receivers who are arguably the best in the NFL. I think the Bills are better and his angry talk is getting old. Bills 34-20. 

He has been there long term and won Superbowls. His receivers are the best in the NFL?

7 hours ago, nucci said:

He has been there long term and won Superbowls. His receivers are the best in the NFL?

Currently his receiver core is among the best in the NFL yes imho. He said after the Skins game he will replace them if they don’t catch the ball. My point is he’s angry guy to his team publicly two weeks in a row. I’m not sure that’s the best long term approach to this season.