Josh Allen YPG in warm weather vs cold weather (stat)

Logic

What games have we played this year under 50 degrees?...  

Off the top of my head, I'm guessing KC and NE.  

KC was his second game playing injured & NE was a game where we simply ran all over them. 

I do agree that the next step for Josh Allen is proving he can ball out in cold/bad weather.

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

Ehhhh,  I'd tend to believe the under 50 degree games were mostly rainy,  windy,  snowy or a combination of them.  

I'd like to see comparison stats for the QBs he played against in those games to have a better idea whether to worry or not. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, loyal2dagame said:

Ehhhh,  I'd tend to believe the under 50 degree games were mostly rainy,  windy,  snowy or a combination of them.  

I'd like to see comparison stats for the QBs he played against in those games to have a better idea whether to worry or not. 

Yeah, it was that stretch of games where it was windy and rainy. KC, NE, and maybe the Jets?

I have had this discussion many times with people. Some like to think playing outside in December is a big advantage to the Bills because other teams arent used to it. You know who isnt used to it either? The Bills!

Most of these guys are from Texas/California/somewhere warmer and many are on the team for 1-3 years. They practice indoors too.

Next stadium should a dome, for the fans and for competitive reasons.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, SCBills said:

What games have we played this year under 50 degrees?...  

Off the top of my head, I'm guessing KC and NE.  

KC was his second game playing injured & NE was a game where we simply ran all over them. 

I do agree that the next step for Josh Allen is proving he can ball out in cold/bad weather.

I mean - the KC game was windy as hell and raining.  I felt like every time the offense took the field it started pouring too. 

38 minutes ago, Logic said:

I realize that more games are played in warm weather than cold weather. Nevertheless, this is something that Allen will need to fix going forward if he is to be the franchise QB in Buffalo, NY.

Dome Time

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Logic said:

I realize that more games are played in warm weather than cold weather. Nevertheless, this is something that Allen will need to fix going forward if he is to be the franchise QB in Buffalo, NY.

Correlation is not causation...what games bin into these three temperature ranges?

Edit: OK, I looked.  This applies to 2 games, Chargers and NE.  So what this is basically saying is that Allen had low-yardage passing games against NE (a cold, rainy, windy day) and the Chargers.

In both cases, it seemed clear ahead of time that the Bills went into those games with the plan to run the ball down the opponent's throat. 

Daboll himself said on Fri before the NE game they practiced 50 plays and only 2 were passes.  The Bills went into and came out of the buy announcing that the top priority was to deep-dive into the run game and fix it.  We called 38 rush plays to 18 pass plays against NE, and 30 rush plays to 25 pass plays against the Chargers.  Also against the Chargers, there was like a 47 yd DPI that would potentially have increased passing yardage to 224 yds if Diggs weren't blatantly tackled.

I believe the run-heavy game plan was a strategic decision by Daboll based on what he thought would work against that opponent, and in the case of NE also because of the forecast for rain and strong winds.

Can we wait to determine there's actually a problem before deciding if Allen needs to fix it?

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Logic said:

Lol... it’s 51 degrees and he’s no longer bad!

Better hope it’s not 1 degree cooler or he’s going to suck ! 

• Haha (+1) 3

41 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Build. A. Dome 

Not.  Going.  To.  Happen.  Won't be able to justify it at all......The Ralph will be in it's 6th, 7th or 8th reconfig before it gets retired......their only chance is to somehow put a dome over The Ralph and pigs will fly before that happens.  Buffalo just isn't financially viable for a Domed venue.....

50 minutes ago, MJS said:

Yeah, it was that stretch of games where it was windy and rainy. KC, NE, and maybe the Jets?

Nah I looked it up.  KC was 51 degrees so doesn't fall into his <50 bad category. 

Below 50 is NE and the Chargers.

KC was 122 yd passing game though, and I suspect it skews the yardage on the middle category.

I suspect the real categories are:

1) The KC game where Allen was "off" and completed less than 54% of his passes for a season low 122 yds

2) Games where Daboll decides pre-game that running is the way we're going to attack and the pass game is there to keep them honest (NE and Chargers)

3) Every other game

image.png

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, hemma said:

"if he is to be the franchise QB in Buffalo, NY."

so I guess that is still up in the air.

I sure hope Beane is doing his QB draft work and sounds like it better improve from his last choice.

I took note of this as well. With Josh's steady progression over the last 3 years, his character, and work ethic off of the field it's pretty safe to assume we've found our guy. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Nah I looked it up.  KC was 51 degrees so doesn't fall into his <50 bad category. 

Below 50 is NE and the Chargers.

KC was 122 yd passing game though, and I suspect it skews the yardage on the middle category.

I suspect the real categories are:

1) The KC game where Allen was "off" and completed less than 54% of his passes for a season low 122 yds

2) Games where Daboll decides pre-game that running is the way we're going to attack and the pass game is there to keep them honest (NE and Chargers)

3) Every other game

image.png

Yeah - the sub 50 games he averaged 21 attempts - but he also threw for 150 or more in both so i think the KC game is included there.  

My guess is it inevitably dipped below as it got darker, game started at 5PM.