Playbooks staying and leaving with Daboll

13 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

With the increased interest in Brian Daboll around the league and the near certainty that he will be interviewed for a HC position after the season, should OBD try to
sign him to a long-term deal before the season ends?

Now I know we can block any lateral move to another team, the hard part is a HC offer.

Is there a viable AND legal way around this?

My concern is the investment that he has out in with JA and the trust that has developed between the two.

I would hate to see a regression with a new Offensive Coordinator that could come in from outside the organization.

Sure there's a legal way.  Get him to sign a contract that precludes a move.  It's private law between the parties.  Everyone has a price.  But he'd probably never do it.  So the point is a non-starter.  

Who says he wants to be a HC?  Maybe, just maybe,  he likes being the Buffalo Bills OC.  HC'ing comes with the glory, but a whole lot of misery too.  Most NFL HC jobs end badly.  Disrupt the family to live in a town you don't pick.    See just about every Patriots OC/DC that has left the Belichicking Hive.

Just now, wjag said:

Who says he wants to be a HC?  Maybe, just maybe,  he likes being the Buffalo Bills OC.  HC'ing comes with the glory, but a whole lot of misery too.  Most NFL HC jobs end badly.  Disrupt the family to live in a town you don't pick.    See just about every Patriots OC/DC that has left the Belichicking Hive.

It has been more than inferred by both Beane & McDermott, while hearing nothing from Brian. 

1+1+0= inferred. 😢

• Like (+1) 1

It would be foolish to try and stop him from leaving.

If the staff is serious about keeping him, letting him know that he's valued and that we're willing to sweeten his compensation and extend his contract if he decides to stay or doesn't want a Head Coaching opportunity is about all you can do. No contract is going to keep someone who wants to be a Head Coach from leaving if one of the other thirty-one teams comes calling and they want to make the move.

If anything, I would be looking at who on the staff would take his place if he decides to leave, along with which positional coaches would be priorities to retain, so we can try to keep them before they jump ship with Daboll.

20 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

With the increased interest in Brian Daboll around the league and the near certainty that he will be interviewed for a HC position after the season, should OBD try to
sign him to a long-term deal before the season ends?

Now I know we can block any lateral move to another team, the hard part is a HC offer.

Is there a viable AND legal way around this?

My concern is the investment that he has out in with JA and the trust that has developed between the two.

I would hate to see a regression with a new Offensive Coordinator that could come in from outside the organization.

Lol I think Josh will be fine.

Let’s not forget that he went to Saint Francis high school and grew up in Hamburg. My hometown! He has family in the area still. If he gets a head-coaching job great for him. But we don’t know that there may be is a chance that he likes being the offensive coordinator for the team he grew up watching and living in the area where his family is living and where he grew up. He may be just fine staying here for a while.

1 minute ago, PJBrown7 said:

Let’s not forget that he went to Saint Francis high school and grew up in Hamburg. My hometown! He has family in the area still. If he gets a head-coaching job great for him. But we don’t know that there may be is a chance that he likes being the offensive coordinator for the team he grew up watching and living in the area where his family is living and where he grew up. He may be just fine staying here for a while.

Yeah, I think he'd love to be a part of the team that finally brought home the Lombardi trophy. It would take a great off until then...

On 12/14/2020 at 10:28 AM, Not at the table Karlos said:

Daboll has been putting together a staff and ESPN had something out last week that said he’s up for a few jobs. He’s most likely gone after this year. With the progression Allen has had everyone is going to want him. 

Say more about this.  Who's on tap as his staff?

The better the Bills do in the postseason, the greater the chances are he leaving.  It’s a good problem to have!

With that said there are two ways to look at a potential OC opening:

- On one hand, if Daboll isn’t back, you want the most stability possible for Josh.  That would mean Ken Dorsey as OC.  He was interviewed in 2017 and since then he’s part of the team that did a stellar job with Josh.  He also has a great relationship with Josh which is what a lot of great QB’s want from a QB Coach.

- On the other hand, the Bills have a Top 10 QB (at worst), a Top 10 WR (at worst), and a stable HC and GM with a track record of success.  Could this opening be, perhaps, one of the most coveted jobs this offseason?  

It’s the whole continuity vs. risk debate

Ya know - it would hurt.  But anyone who has ever managed people will know that your greatest legacy is having your top talent go - and be successful on their own.  Then backfilling them with another high talented person.  Thats the point we're at here.  And thats awesome!  This type of attrition is going to happen.  Embrace it.  The alternative is nobody is interested in our staff.  I'd rather have this problem.  That means we can attract the best too. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/8/2020 at 1:11 PM, matter2003 said:

Roman has been the opposite in his offensive trends throughout his career...at every stop his offense regressed over time not progressed...in effect his best year was his first year in most places with the same players.

If you mean that Daboll usually gets fired immediately after one season as an NFL OC.......yes different than Roman.

If he were the Bills original OC choice in 2017.......with that garbage talent at WR and Tyrod throwing to them..........he'd have been 0-4 at NFL OC jobs.

He landed in a better spot than previous jobs because of the built in excuse of a rookie QB and having a HC who would have looked incompetent if he fired two straight OC's after one season.    He got the offense within shouting distance of average in 2019 after a dismal 2018 and now he has a QB and WR corps who can make most any of his calls look good.

I think what you see with Daboll is a solid coordinator............but he's not going to get the job done with modest talent.........he's not at that level.   

But what kind of offensive mind/play caller he is isn't going to determine if he is a good HC anyway.    Different skillset.   

From my understanding where Roman is lacking is the leadership and social skills to do well in HC interviews.  

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That, we can block.

Technically we could... but given the fact that QB Coach to OC is a pretty big promotion and the fact that most franchises frown on blocking upward mobility, I have a hard time thinking this team would stop Dorsey if he wanted to go