A Few Thoughts about the 49ers Game, in no particular order

Virgil

In the first half especially, the Bills defense was so physical,  they were smashing guys, piling on, etc..  They looked like the D we all want them to be. It was great.  They softened up a bit with the big lead (which is disturbing but you see the same trend with nearly every team not just the Bills).  

40 minutes ago, Just in Atlanta said:

And I hope other HC-needy teams weren't looking at Daboll's masterclass on OCing. Incredible game plan and play calling. 

A lot of times one gets too much credit.  Yesterday was very much about Daboll putting a master game plan as much as Josh and the offense executing it.  The OL gave plenty of time for Allen to make his throws.  The RBs did enough to not allow the safeties to cheat.  

• Like (+1) 1

on the remarks on number nine the first read was to Bates and the 49ers had it covered.  Then he went to Smith and he throws it to the backside with the safety closing in form the right...obviously could of been a bit better of a pass but I also think Smith could of sat earlier in this route as it was pretty open there in the middle

Looking forward to seeing if the D can compete against the Pitt offense.   Mullen and 49ers did not have too much trouble running or throwing it between the 20s.   Not sure this D can handle a top 5 QB on a healthy team (R Wilson's team was pretty beat up at the time and Goff/Rams tore the Bill's D to pieces).  We shall see. 

Will need to score a bunch against the top sackers in the league in mid December B lo weather at night.   Big test with no fans in the stands.  

I still believe McBeanes talent process has finally built a roster that, if healthy, can compete in every game, no matter the opponent.   Every game is a new event, but definitely looking forward to seeing a full roster compete.  

Edited by ProcessTruster

33 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Couple comments:

On the 1st drive on the pass to Smith in the endzone that was behind him. Think that was actually a perfect thrown pass by Josh as he threw it to the empty spot.  The issue may been that smith doesn't have enough experience as a pass receiver to realize he needed to drift back to the open spot.  Allen assumed he'd slide back and if he didn't would be incomplete, but no Int.  If it were Diggs or Beasley, they'd likely have drifted back for an easy catch.

On the Int by White, watching live I thought the receiver caught the ball, my initial thought was he stopped just short or was it a TD?  Never saw that White some how came up with it, even watching the replay in slow motion, was amazed to see how White got that ball.

Agree about Knox, played a solid game, he has the skills and athleticism that few TE's in the league have.  He was never asked to do much offensively in college, like Allen could take a couple years to develop.  Plus with WR on the team and such a strong armed QB, not sure TE will ever become a big part of offense, but knox still provides a legit decoy that needs to be accounted for.

Hopefully Knox continues developing but if you can add a stud TE to this offense, it’s even more explosive as it puts so much more pressure on the D! Great problem to have.

Wanted to shout out Hyde today. He was noticeable last night and made some very tough TD saving tackles a couple times including the one on Bourne that led to Tres int. 

Love the Josh Allen Experience

Defense is figuring some things out and could be hitting on all cylinders by playoff time

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

The other equally important that Diggs brings is his down field blocking. Knox doesn't get in for the TD without #14. All I can say if that's how a malcontent and bad attitude guy plays then we need more malcontents.

Bills dominate 49ers, whose season is slipping away

Love how Diggs gets jacked up on other people succeeding. Great block here, he got up stoked!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

Josh flopping to get that roughing call was Oscar worthy.

I loved it. Refs have left so many roughing calls on Josh uncalled this year. If he needs to snap his head back to get a call for a late hit then he needs to start doing that every time.

Bit of a tangent...

How many times did 49er players spin the ball towards the Bills defenders? We should coach our players to point at the ball and cry for a flag in those situations

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Here's the link to the amazing Diggs route

https://www.nfl.com/videos/stefon-diggs-best-plays-from-92-yard-game-week-13

38 minutes ago, ILBillsfan said:

on the remarks on number nine the first read was to Bates and the 49ers had it covered.  Then he went to Smith and he throws it to the backside with the safety closing in form the right...obviously could of been a bit better of a pass but I also think Smith could of sat earlier in this route as it was pretty open there in the middle

You're absolutely right, it was Bates lined up beside Dawkins.  I'm going to update it now.

Thank you

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Just in Atlanta said:

Edmunds and Co. looked like a dominant unit for a change this year. Allen was superb. Diggs and Beasley were near perfect. And that O line - wow. 

Saleh's defensive scheme, or lack thereof, was a big reason why we dominated on offense, not to take away what Allen did. Virtually zero QB pressure and DBs playing soft all night. But, yeah, this team was fun to watch in all three phases. 

We have a legit shot to beat Pittsburgh. 

Those were my overall reactions...m,any of those Bills were comically open, now much credit is due to Josh being able to  move and throw on the run with his rocket arm.  As sherman said post game interview, Allen kept plays alive and you can only cover receivers for so long.

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

On the Int by White, watching live I thought the receiver caught the ball, my initial thought was he stopped just short or was it a TD?  Never saw that White some how came up with it, even watching the replay in slow motion, was amazed to see how White got that ball.

I said the same thing to my son in a text. Have to watch on Sunday Ticket while overseas, so I'm a bit behind the "live" broadcast (maybe 10-30 seconds or so.)

Text from son after the pass: "TRE DAY!!!!"

My response: " Was..was that a pass break-up? They didn't score? I thought that was a TD and am still hoping they'll say he caught it outside the endzone."

Few seconds later, me: "YESSSSSSSSS"

Son: "Yeah, he ripped it away from him. 3 in the last 4 games for him 🔥🔥."

I'm sure there is a way to put the "fire emoji" as a pic, but I already feel awkward enough just typing "emoji."

edit: Figured out the fire. Kind of like Tre.

Edited by timekills17
Fire emoji
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

10 - Linebackers -  You could argue this was the first game we had a fully healthy starting linebacker group, as Milano was 100% in practice, Klein seems to finally know his role with the team, and Edmunds isn't showing his hesitation on tackles.  One thing I found interesting was a play where Klein seemed to be calling the play and putting Edmunds in position.  I don't know if it was a one-off play, or if they've adjusted how the defensive play calling is being distributed, but it stood out in the moment.  The 49ers rushing attack was sub-par and the all three players did a great job playing close to the line.  This is a unit we need to perform well if this defense is going to continue it's upward trend. 

I noticed that too, as a mater of fact I noticed it happen a few times throughout the game. I wonder if the Bills brain trust has come to the conclusion that if Edmunds could just react to what's happening and play, rather than worry about his surrounding players and thinking about what MAY happen, that his play would elevate. I haven't been a big Edmunds fan up until now because of the potential I thought he had coming out of school, and him playing so tentatively always seemingly being behind the play.  The last two games or so he has seemed to have turned on the switch and is becoming the player I originally thought he'd be. Could it be that the coaching staff has helped him by clearing away some of his responsibilities?

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Someone on this board earlier in the week called the play for Bates, they mentioned that the bills were setting it up for the past couple games. So while bates may not have sold the block well enough, you also go the other way and say the 49ers were well prepared for it

Good point, if a casual fan noted that I would be shocked if the 49ers were not looking for it.

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

A lot of times one gets too much credit.  Yesterday was very much about Daboll putting a master game plan as much as Josh and the offense executing it.  The OL gave plenty of time for Allen to make his throws.  The RBs did enough to not allow the safeties to cheat.  

That was so key in the game as the 49ers have a rep for getting a lot of heat on the QB with just four rushers. It was great to watch as the Niners couldn't stop Buffalo in any aspect. They did some pretty good holding against the Bills D too.

Good writeup as usual Virgil. #1, it shows that all this teams players are "all in" on the process. Love to see that! 

After this game I'm now more concerned about losing Daboll as OC. Then again, the Bills played great in prime time last season against the Cowboys and the next week were pounded on by the Ravens blitzing. We shall see. 

The 2020 Steelers have the NFL sack leader in TJ Watt and are #2 in the NFL in turnover ratio at +11 right behind KC. Though they do lead the NFL in INTs with 16. 

I'm hoping the Bills can have the same type of offensive game against a not playing so good Pittsburgh team right now.  Did the Steelers lose to Washington while looking past them to next Sunday night against Buffalo? If so, those teams tend to lose both games. 

• Like (+1) 1