Week 14: Steelers at Bills on SNF

YoloinOhio

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Do you mean "while he did make some wild errors?"  I don't want to relive the game, but overall I'd agree that Josh balanced some mistakes with good play and it wasn't all on him.

I think that was the game that netted us Stefon Diggs.  I think Beane went into the game feeling he'd done enough to build a good offense, and what we had at WR and TE was "enough".  I think he came out of the game realizing "nope, need more weapons", which is of course correct - Houston bracked Beasley and took him away all day, at least 3 WR on the final drive had incompletions on catchable balls, and the fact that Duke Williams has lived his life on the PS this year says enough about that experiment.

Interestingly, Josh was talking with Pat McAfee about the "fumble" in the direction of Dawson Knox and his viewpoint on that seems to have clarified.  He said he still thinks about some plays in the Houston game but that (notorious) one is way down his list.  He said if he made a better pitch, "Dawson Knox might still be running".  McAfee said after watching it from several angles he saw that point.  Josh said "I made that decision and I'll have to live with it."

Yes, that is sad typo.

I think it increased Beane’s urgency... I think he was intent on getting a WR1 for Josh. Tried to get Antonio Brown, wanted Diggs at the deadline and Vikings said no. I don’t think he was complacent I just don’t think he had a trade partner until this spring. But yeah I agree the game increased his urgency to go and get that guy.

Yes, I did see that. I didn’t think it was THAT bad. It was him trying to make a play... I’ve seen it happen before... but because it was improvised and didn’t worked... he was “cracking under pressure.” Had it worked Knox would still be running and the play would be all over highlight reels.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dma0034 said:

Someone already mentioned it. He said he watched Allen in Oct and Nov and he had 10 TDs to 9 TOs. Didn't mention Total TDs though which would have added 5. It's like saying Lamar Jackson's 2019 was mediocre because he only had 36 TDs and 3k yards... you're kind of missing something. They brought up what they think Allen's contract will look like (around 40m) and he was like "I wouldn't even pay Baker that much!"

Too bad he didn't do his homework and realized that Josh was playing with a shoulder injury in those games. Nick Wright should have listened to Matt Hasselbeck's analysis of playing with an injured shoulder and how when he played with one it threw off his accuracy. Besides, he's a KC fan and scared as hell of having to play us again, healthy.

1 hour ago, RichRiderBills said:

To heck with this bozo Nick Wright...his last job was a stunt double for Borat. Guy is a terrible hot take artist. Garbage quality analysis. Who the heck is he?

Julian Edelman and Nick Wright's Twitter Beef Can Get Us Through This  Crisis | Barstool Sports

Borat 2' to have a lengthy title just like Sacha Baron Cohen's previous  version?

Rich, you're giving Borat a bad rap

4 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Right. But I trust more Dane Jackson or Levi as number  2 CB on roster. Hoping for a upgrade for off season. Norman was way worse then Levi Or Dane Jackson

Sounds like coach wasn't too happy with Wallace's performance 

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/09/buffalo-bills-leslie-frazier-critical-levi-wallace-san-francisco-49ers-josh-norman/

10 minutes ago, letsgoteam said:

Quick google lookup says weather is going to cold (high 30s) and wet in Orchard Park Sunday Night. Anyone actually from the area want to tell/say if they believe that weather report or what the local consensus is for the weather?

I got 48 degrees and a 50% chance of rain. 🤷‍♂️. See my stripper comment. It applies. 

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

Yes, that is sad typo.

I think it increased Beane’s urgency... I think he was intent on getting a WR1 for Josh. Tried to get Antonio Brown, wanted Diggs at the deadline and Vikings said no. I don’t think he was complacent I just don’t think he had a trade partner until this spring. But yeah I agree the game increased his urgency to go and get that guy.

Yes, I did see that. I didn’t think it was THAT bad. It was him trying to make a play... I’ve seen it happen before... but because it was improvised and didn’t worked... he was “cracking under pressure.” Had it worked Knox would still be running and the play would be all over highlight reels.

Right on👍  Last year, the Bills receivers were targeted to jam @ the line of scrimmage (Patriots exposed this) & the addition of Diggs has broken this weakness.

On 12/8/2020 at 5:16 AM, Process said:

Annoying that Washington beat them. Would have been nice to see the Bills hand them their first loss.

I’m pumped they lost to the Skins. We are way more likely to catch them than Chiefs. They are not playing great and that game was more the norm than an exception. Other than Denver I feel better about this game than 2nd visits with AFC East rivals 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by QLBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dma0034 said:

Someone already mentioned it. He said he watched Allen in Oct and Nov and he had 10 TDs to 9 TOs. Didn't mention Total TDs though which would have added 5. It's like saying Lamar Jackson's 2019 was mediocre because he only had 36 TDs and 3k yards... you're kind of missing something. They brought up what they think Allen's contract will look like (around 40m) and he was like "I wouldn't even pay Baker that much!"

Hmm since JA currently has only 8 int’s fascinating that he said 10 and 9. I’m fine with the criticism if it’s accurate. Actual Bills fans know the LAR Kroft int was ridiculous. HassleB has documented the shoulder injury as playing a part during those games. Many media explaining KM’s slump with his shoulder. Which could be on point as well. 

I found this analysis interesting on the different types of coverages that the Steelers run and disguise.

This isn’t going to be like the Niners, who basically play Cover 4 like 99% of the time. Steelers really mix things up. JA is going to also have to stay clear of Minkah:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2020/6/2/21274693/masters-of-disguise-how-the-steelers-keep-offenses-guessing-by-masking-their-coverages-safety-corner

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I found this analysis interesting on the different types of coverages that the Steelers run and disguise.

This isn’t going to be like the Niners, who basically play Cover 4 like 99% of the time. Steelers really mix things up. JA is going to also have to stay clear of Minkah:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2020/6/2/21274693/masters-of-disguise-how-the-steelers-keep-offenses-guessing-by-masking-their-coverages-safety-corner

I feel like this is the type of game/defense that they are going to plan on dialing up small ball.  Get the short completions and run the ball (similar to the NE game).  I don't doubt they are planning on Allen being a threat with his arm but maybe this is the type of game to use his legs more.

Going to be 25 degrees but no precipitation and not to bad with the wind.  

Ben plays well in that weather.  His WRs not so sure.  But with Pouncey and Conner back they'll try and be more balanced.  Ben has only been sacked 10 times and the Redskins couldn't even get to him. The advantage we have is Ben hasn't seen this defense...not just the scheme but the personnel.  Not sure he's played against Tre White.  

I expect the Bills to throw it 45 times.  You can't run on this team as it is let alone if you're a below average run team.  Their front is elite vs the run.  

And they're banged up in the secondary.

No feel yet for the game and final score.  

Looking forward to the clips of McD and Tomlin at William and Mary.  I was at the game in Pittsburgh last year so didn't see the telecast.   

• Like (+1) 1

One thought about Levi Wallace is that the Steelers WR provide a hugely different challenge than the Niners WRs. You can't get much quicker than Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk. They're basically super charged smurfs.  JuJu, Claypool and Diontae Johnson are all bigger and stronger WRs, but they're also not nearly as quick. That's probably better for Levi who seems to do better with physical WRs. 

There's also going to be some interesting choice being made in coverage. This current offense for the Steelers is no longer the power vertical offense you're used to seeing from Mike Tomlin, it's almost an Air Raid offense where the ball comes out absurdly quick and everything is horizontal. There's a few ways you can handle that. You can zone & tackle them, and basically trade yardage for FGs. That's a good strategy if you're confident in your own offense turning possessions into TDs, because you won't see as much of the ball. Or you can get into their faces and try to disrupt short routes, and hope your pressure gets to them. Something you might try if you're not certain of your offense, and you want to maximize the number of possessions in the game.  

The other factor is that the Steelers are getting a lot of schtick from the media for not running the football. James Connor has been activated from reserve, and I'm wondering if Mike Tomlin wants to go back to his roots, and tries to pound and go vertical off the run game? That's something I'm probably more comfortable with, as I think the Niners are a better running team than the Steelers. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Going to be 25 degrees but no precipitation and not to bad with the wind.  

Ben plays well in that weather.  His WRs not so sure.  But with Pouncey and Conner back they'll try and be more balanced.  Ben has only been sacked 10 times and the Redskins couldn't even get to him. The advantage we have is Ben hasn't seen this defense...not just the scheme but the personnel.  Not sure he's played against Tre White.  

I expect the Bills to throw it 45 times.  You can't run on this team as it is let alone if you're a below average run team.  Their front is elite vs the run.  

And they're banged up in the secondary.

No feel yet for the game and final score.  

Looking forward to the clips of McD and Tomlin at William and Mary.  I was at the game in Pittsburgh last year so didn't see the telecast.   

I was there last year too with my Steelers fans’ friends.  We were hoping to all do the trip to Buffalo this year, but covid! 

4 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I was there last year too with my Steelers fans’ friends.  We were hoping to all do the trip to Buffalo this year, but covid! 

Same thing here.

Good news: assuming both teams win the division, Steelers back at Buffalo in 2021. 

More good news: based on the normal schedule rotation, Steelers back in Buffalo again in 2022!