Morse not starting was a "football decision" per McD

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Ok? If you ever had a concussion, it doesn’t magically go back to normal, no matter how long you rest. Also when you get one, it is much easier to get another one. Much less 5 or so in the time frame that Morse has had.  And even if he is “cleared,” there is no indication of what the long term effectS could be. 

it’s not an ankle injury. 

You're right on everything but the bold. And you are correct that it may never get back to normal, but the only way the Brain Bruise heals is by resting and not banging around. And the longer you have to stay inactive, the better.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Ok? If you ever had a concussion, it doesn’t magically go back to normal, no matter how long you rest. Also when you get one, it is much easier to get another one. Much less 5 or so in the time frame that Morse has had.  And even if he is “cleared,” there is no indication of what the long term effectS could be. 

it’s not an ankle injury. 

You said ‘you don’t rest up a concussion’ and I replied that rest is the literal first step in the NFL’s concussion protocol. 

That a concussion is not an ankle injury should go without saying.

All IMHO:

If Morse does not start the next game (or more), it may not be a "doghouse" thing, it could very well be that Morse is retiring/contemplating retiring at the end of the year. Sticking it out with the team and not wanting to leave them in a bad situation if some other injuries pop up. Only playing in an emergency situation. 

Again just speculation.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

I think Mitch will start

Maybe Coach will rotate the line, who knows 

now is not the time to play games 

FWIW, I heard an analyst talking about how joe judge is doing this on the interior with NYG to keep guys fresh and he swears by it. Most teams don’t have the depth to do this because you need to have multiple starting caliber linemen, but the bills might. Id be interested in hearing more about the strategy but only caught the tail end of the discussion 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, letsgoteam said:

All IMHO:

If Morse does not start the next game (or more), it may not be a "doghouse" thing, it could very well be that Morse is retiring/contemplating retiring at the end of the year. Sticking it out with the team and not wanting to leave them in a bad situation if some other injuries pop up. Only playing in an emergency situation. 

Again just speculation.

This is how I read last week with him being dressed but not playing.

His brain injury could use the rest, but if injuries hit our interior OL like they did against Seattle, then he could be forced into action, and would make a very good backup.

9 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

I think Mitch will start

Maybe Coach will rotate the line, who knows 

now is not the time to play games 

Yeah, I think Morse starts and Feliciano plays RG, with either Ford (if he's healthy) at LG or Boettger.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

FWIW, I heard an analyst talking about how joe judge is doing this on the interior with NYG to keep guys fresh and he swears by it. Most teams don’t have the depth to do this because you need to have multiple starting caliber linemen, but the bills might. Id be interested in hearing more about the strategy but only caught the tail end of the discussion 

It sounds nice... Whats the Giants record again?  ;)  ;)  :D

Rotating for rest is fine.  Rotating to see who fits best at this juncture IMO can be dangerous. 

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He's had like 6 concussions before coming to the Bills, and just suffered another one. He may never play again. But it is a sensitive medical issue, especially in the NFL.

I honestly think this.   A genuine concern for him.   There is no question our best 5 includes him so there is something more to it. 

24 minutes ago, letsgoteam said:

All IMHO:

Again just speculation.

My interpretation of McDermott's explanation is that the O-line is doing better without Morse in there and he wants to stick with that group as developing continuity is critical to O-line effectiveness.  I'm not expecting Morse back in unless the tape of the Cardinals game looks bad.

• Like (+1) 1

• Simon locked and unlocked this topic
Just now, GaryPinC said:

My interpretation of McDermott's explanation is that the O-line is doing better without Morse in there and he wants to stick with that group as developing continuity is critical to O-line effectiveness.  I'm not expecting Morse back in unless the tape of the Cardinals game looks bad.

Yup, I totally understand what your saying. That's that toughest thing being a fan. We have no "true" insight on what is really going and trying to come up with explanations from vague coach speak.

I think they are better with Morse at C, however, you/they/the team could easily convince me otherwise! (I havn't been studying film or paying extra attention to what the line is doing ☺️ )

Either McDermott doesn't believe Morse is a good player anymore or he is too afraid to play him because of his injury history. 

Neither are ideal especially as the Bills Oline is far from dominant with or without Morse.

You never want to hear that the Center you paid so much money to has been medically cleared to play but yet is "in the mix"

17 hours ago, hemma said:

I wonder if Daboll has some ‘odd plays’ he’s cooking up.  Unbalanced lines, flipping the centers, who knows?

I think Coach Diabolical can certainly figure plays where it is better to have each as center.  

Morse does not appear to be player who can do guard role so he is kind of indicator on plays.

29 minutes ago, Manther said:

McD may think Mongo is better for the running game at Center than Morse?

I think so but Morse was doing some good lead blocking last year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GaryPinC said:

What I believe he was saying is that the OL did well against the Seahawks and since Morse is coming off a concussion, his 6th and 2nd in a year-and-a-half, why not give Feliciano another game to see what he could do? 

I don't think he did anything to lay claim to being a better C than Morse and again as I said, Feliciano is more valuable at OG.