Morse not starting was a "football decision" per McD

1 minute ago, Doc said:

They were averaging almost 31 PPG with Morse and a healthy Josh.  Again Feliciano didn't prove to be a better center and he's a far better RG than Winters.  The decision will be easy...

The momentum prior to changing the C was 3 games in the teens.  It was instantly and profoundly reversed with the reconfigured line.  Throw in the NE where Morse was knocked out and they scored 24.  Boom.   

The line was better (if you count scoring points) that it had been since week 4.    How can you argue otherwise....and still invoke "momentum"?

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The momentum prior to changing the C was 3 games in the teens.  It was instantly and profoundly reversed with the reconfigured line.  Throw in the NE where Morse was knocked out and they scored 24.  Boom.   

The line was better (if you count scoring points) that it had been since week 4.    How can you argue otherwise....and still invoke "momentum"?

Yeah, like I said, Josh was injured for most of those 4 games.  Again when they were both healthy, they averaged almost 31.

But as I said, we'll see come 1 PM Sunday.  I'll bet it's Morse starting at C and Feliciano at OG.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah, like I said, Josh was injured for most of those 4 games.  Again when they were both healthy, they averaged almost 31.

But as I said, we'll see come 1 PM Sunday.  I'll bet it's Morse starting at C and Feliciano at OG.

They averaged over 33 without Morse.  Josh had 296 yards against the Jets.  No TDs.

With a healthy Josh, McD chose not to go with Morse when he was available.  He liked what he saw against Sea and AZ.  Josh was 33/87 (72%) for 700 yards and 5 TD (2 int).  How does that not make a coach take notice?   That IS momentum...

We will see Sunday, yes.

Edited by Mr. WEO

1 hour ago, Doc said:

And you added the suggestion that he was benched for poor play.  Except he was coming off a concussion, the 2nd in a year and a half, and he missed a day of practice.  If he hadn't been coming off a concussion and Feliciano started over him at C, it would be an entirely different discussion.

I guess we'll find out Sunday.

No I did not.  I said the O-line as a unit performed better with him out, according to McD.  It's not the same thing.  Him and Feliciano each bring something different to the table.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

They averaged over 33 without Morse.  Josh had 296 yards against the Jets.  No TDs.

With a healthy Josh, McD chose not to go with Morse when he was available.  He liked what he saw against Sea and AZ.  Josh was 33/87 (72%) for 700 yards and 5 TD (2 int).  How does that not make a coach take notice?   That IS momentum...

We will see Sunday, yes.

They averaged 28 PPG in 3 games with Feliciano at C.  The first drive in the Cheaters game went for a TD and it had Morse and then Bates at C.  And again Josh was still injured in the Jets game.

And Morse missed almost 3 full games and a practice before he was cleared.  It was the right move to stick with Feliciano for the Cardinals game.  Now that Morse can practice every day for the Chargers game, there is no reason not to have him start at C and put Feliciano and his talents to use next to him. 

31 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

No I did not.  I said the O-line as a unit performed better with him out, according to McD.  It's not the same thing.  Him and Feliciano each bring something different to the table.

McD didn't say that.  See above.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

They averaged 28 PPG in 3 games with Feliciano at C.  The first drive in the Cheaters game went for a TD and it had Morse and then Bates at C.  And again Josh was still injured in the Jets game.

And Morse missed almost 3 full games and a practice before he was cleared.  It was the right move to stick with Feliciano for the Cardinals game.  Now that Morse can practice every day for the Chargers game, there is no reason not to have him start at C and put Feliciano and his talents to use next to him. 

He missed 1 full game.  He was cleared 10 days after he entered protocol.  After that, McD chose to go with the combo that scored 44 points in the one game he missed.  It then scored 30 more. 

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

He missed 1 full game.  He was cleared 10 days after he entered protocol.  After that, McD chose to go with the combo that scored 44 points in the one game he missed.  It then scored 30 more. 

He missed almost 2 full games and a practice prior to the Arizona game.  Again it was the right decision to stick with Feliciano for the Arizona game given all the time he missed, coming off a concussion, and with the bye week coming up.

And to correct what I said above, they averaged 30 PPG without Morse at C.

15 minutes ago, Doc said:

This is what McD said:. "we felt like we had at least some momentum with the group we had had in when Mitch went down and wanted to take a look at one more week there."

Why is this not clear to you?  After Morse went down the unit started playing better, gaining momentum.

30 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

This is what McD said:. "we felt like we had at least some momentum with the group we had had in when Mitch went down and wanted to take a look at one more week there."

Why is this not clear to you?  After Morse went down the unit started playing better, gaining momentum.

Yeah, when a guy misses almost 2 full games and a practice prior to a game, you don't want to break it up.  Especially when said player is coming off a serious injury and there is a bye week coming up. 

32 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

The best 5 is Dawkins, Ford, Morse, Feliciano, and Williams. It’s not even close. Morse is a fine pass blocker. I don’t care about the run. They finally have an elite QB. Put the best 5 to protect Allen. Morse is not a top 10 center even though Beane paid him top money. But he is the best center on the team.

This.  Morse and Feliciano playing together will only make the OL better.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, letsgoteam said:

All IMHO:

If Morse does not start the next game (or more), it may not be a "doghouse" thing, it could very well be that Morse is retiring/contemplating retiring at the end of the year. Sticking it out with the team and not wanting to leave them in a bad situation if some other injuries pop up. Only playing in an emergency situation. 

Again just speculation.

I'm kind of thinking the same thing too, he wants to walk away, but also doesn't want to completely let the team down.  So they've agreed to not play him unless extremely needed.  It's kind of unprecedented or maybe much more of this does go on all the time, but you just don't hear about it at all.  Maybe Morse wants to play but also confided that his wife or parents are begging him to walk away now.  Could even be that some of the other lineman are telling him to sit out.

Obviously pure speculation and shame on us for creating a conspiracy theory here,  but when McD tries to convince people the line is better with Morse not playing, something is not making any sense.

Morse may come out and play every snap Sunday, then we can delete these posts and come up with the next conspiracy theory that it was a ploy by McD to leave the Chargers guessing.  But if he doesn't play,there is much more to this story than we're being told.

8 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

My interpretation of McDermott's explanation is that the O-line is doing better without Morse in there and he wants to stick with that group as developing continuity is critical to O-line effectiveness.  I'm not expecting Morse back in unless the tape of the Cardinals game looks bad.

Yes that's exactly what McD stated, but how do you know he's even close to telling you the truth?  He's going to take the heat for not playing him, rather than let the player take it.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Yeah, when a guy misses almost 2 full games and a practice prior to a game, you don't want to break it up.  Especially when said player is coming off a serious injury and there is a bye week coming up. 

This.  Morse and Feliciano playing together will only make the OL better.

If the play of the offensive line fell off when Morse went out, or if Mongo and Allen had trouble with their snaps, Morse would have started against the Cards.  But McD felt momentum improved with Morse out and he stuck with it.  We'll see what happens Sunday,  Morse has had the bye week to work back in.

49 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Yes that's exactly what McD stated, but how do you know he's even close to telling you the truth?  He's going to take the heat for not playing him, rather than let the player take it.

I don't, but I don't understand why you think he might be completely lying about it?  He did answer to it in general terms which covers for Morse. I think if the injury history would have played into it, he could say coach's decision just to be sure he's over concussion  and IMO would have been less controversial while still covering for Morse.

But it is my opinion that IF Morse is our clear #1 center, you get him up to speed for the Cards and hope the momentum carries through.  I mean, coaches' attitude could have been "things just turned around for this O-line, wait till we plug Mitch back in and get Mongo back to guard vs the Cards!" but it wasn't.  Something seems up.

We'll see Sunday.

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah and IMO Feliciano is also a much better center than he is a guard.    

Additionally........with improving the run game a priority.......you have to wonder if Morse is going to be more tentative at the point of attack.  It's not like the play he got hurt on was an unexpected hit.........it's standard operating procedure for the Patriots LB's to try to blow up run plays that way if they anticipate a combo block coming.  

It isn't out of the question that Feliciano/Winters might be better than Morse/Feliciano.........and that's knowing that Winters is just not good.

Definitely agree Feliciano is a better center than guard (and the best center on the roster). Think that has been pretty obvious from day 1. As for the best combo I think it depends what the question is. If the question is purely focused on run game then I agree it is not out of the question. I think once you are looking at the big picture the chances become pretty remote. Especially because the Bills have acknowledged they are a pass first team. 

9 hours ago, TBBills said:

Not my argument it exactly what was said... You don't like it take it up with McDermott.

Likely Coach McD is deferring to OC or OL coach.

It may not be best center but best center for offensive game plan and if he starts it is not he listened to fan advice.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

I don't care how they look at it Morse at Center and Mongo at G will always be better then Ike or Winters being on the field. It's that simple Morse is a way better center then those to at G

And I believe they do not care if you care.  Probably would give you a Bronx cheer if you told them that.