Morse not starting was a "football decision" per McD

7 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Don’t be silly, It’s all part of the uncertainty, the more you put out there for your opponent to have to sift through the better off you are. That is why Sean and any decent HC gives zero real info in any of their PCs, it’s all part of the game as we all know. 

Go Bills!!!

I agree with this TO AN EXTENT.

When a player has a certain amount of respect and stature and is a leader on your team, you don't play the "I'm not gonna comment on whether or not he'll be starting" game with the press.

For instance, I doubt McDermott would tell reporters that Allen is "in the mix" to start at QB or that "we'll see" if Stefon Diggs starts at WR.

I am hoping against hope that this is nothing more than deception/coyness, as you said, to give the opponent more to prepare for. I can't shake the feeling, though, that there's more to this one.

45 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Or he is using disinformation to keep our next opponent unsure who our starting center will be for as long as possible, some of y’all  get a bit over literal sometimes, ya gotta read between the lines folks. 

Go Bills!!!

Why on Earth do the Chargers care who we start at center? Is that going to affect their game plan?

At this point, after McD's comments today, I hope people don't still try to argue that this isn't performance-related.

1 minute ago, Logic said:

When a player has a certain amount of respect and stature and is a leader on your team, you don't play the "I'm not gonna comment on whether or not he'll be starting" game with the press.

For instance, I doubt McDermott would tell reporters that Allen is "in the mix" to start at QB or that "we'll see" if Stefon Diggs starts at WR.

I am hoping against hope that this is nothing more than deception/coyness, as you said, to give the opponent more to prepare for. I can't shake the feeling, though, that there's more to this one.

I accept your thoughts, but Sean will certainly want the best five on the line, and I suspect that Brian has a lot of say in who gets the nod. Think positive thoughts, we are a really good team, and it  takes a serious effort to play against us to have hope in hell to win, our coaches aren’t stupid, well at least not all the time, 😁👍

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'd be willing to bet that front seven players, particularly interior defensive linemen, DO prepare for specific players in the lead-up to a game.

I would not take that bet.  I know you're right and it's true, because former greats like Bruce Smith have talked about watching tons of film on their opponents, scrutinizing them carefully for "tells" and tendencies.  I'm pretty sure I can tell whether Morse or Feliciano is playing center even at a distance on coaches' film by differences in their foot position and stance.

If you keep the opponent guessing whether they prepare for Morse or for Mongo at center, 2x as much film.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Why on Earth do the Chargers care who we start at center? Is that going to affect their game plan?

At this point, after McD's comments today, I hope people don't still try to argue that this isn't performance-related.

It’s all misinformation, and yes their front seven plan their tactics as to the tendency of who the go up against...do you really think they don’t take that into consideration?

Go Bills!!!

18 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'm sure there is more to this one than deception/coyness.  I think that the Bills have it chalked up as a "must do" to fix the running game.  I think they will start whatever OL they feel gives them the best chance there, provided the pass protection doesn't suffer too greatly.

I also think that all of the OL at this point have all sorts of dings and dents that don't show up on the injury report - didn't 2 or 3 of our OL play the entire season with shoulder injuries requiring off-season surgery last season?  Cody Ford has been playing in a harness all season.  I read someone once say that by mid-season, most of the OL is getting their knees drained and regular injections.  So it's not beyond thought that there are other factors influencing performance behind the scenes.

Oh, last point - big difference between communication within the team, and communication to reporters. 

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm sure there is more to this one than deception/coyness.  I think that the Bills have it chalked up as a "must do" to fix the running game.  I think they will start whatever OL they feel gives them the best chance there, provided the pass protection doesn't suffer too greatly.

I also think that all of the OL at this point have all sorts of dings and dents that don't show up on the injury report - didn't 2 or 3 of our OL play the entire season with shoulder injuries requiring off-season surgery last season?  Cody Ford has been playing in a harness all season.  I read someone once say that by mid-season, most of the OL is getting their knees drained and regular injections.  So it's not beyond thought that there are other factors influencing performance behind the scenes.

Oh, last point - big difference between communication within the team, and communication to reporters. 

Good point.

I hope that they haven't concluded that Mitch Morse isn't good enough at run blocking to warrant continued status as the starting center. For one thing, the Bills were a top 10 running team last year. What changed? Perhaps it's the injuries/health thing, as you mentioned. For another, it would mean that they probably don't believe in him as the starting center going forward, which would put another giant need on the offseason "to do" list, since I don't view Mongo as the long term answer at center, and he's a free agent anyway.

I guess what my long-winded brain is trying to say is this: It seems like it would be best for the Bills if the guy they chose to make the highest paid center in the league was actually good, healthy, in good graces with the coaching staff, and considered to be "the answer" at the position going forward. Any other outcome seems like it would weaken the Bills in both the short and long term.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Logic said:

Good point.

I hope that they haven't concluded that Mitch Morse isn't good enough at run blocking to warrant continued status as the starting center. For one thing, the Bills were a top 10 running team last year. What changed?

Last year, Josh Allen had 109 rushes for 510 rushing yards.  Without Allen's yards, the Bills had 1544 rush yards on the season which would nominally slot them into 24th for rush yards (actually ~21st after correcting for other good rushing QB).  So fundamentally without Allen, the Bills rush game wasn't "all that and a bag of chips" last year.

This year he's had less rushing - although I'm surprised.  My perception is that he's been running a lot less, but he's still on pace for about 450 yds and is averaging 28 ypg which is only a bit less than the 32 ypg he averaged last season, especially given he had a games (LV) where he basically didn't rush at all and another (Tenn) where he rushed less than normal.

Huh.  I guess chalk this up to perception and reality, where perception differs from reality.

So now I don't know what to think, except that all the OL injuries have held us back.

24 minutes ago, Logic said:

I guess what my long-winded brain is trying to say is this: It seems like it would be best for the Bills if the guy they chose to make the highest paid center in the league was actually good, healthy, in good graces with the coaching staff, and considered to be "the answer" at the position going forward. Any other outcome seems like it would weaken the Bills in both the short and long term.

I do agree with this.

It seems like similar circumstances to Spain's situation. I'm going to take McDermott at his word on this one and give Morse a 50/50 chance of playing and will not be surprised if he doesn't.

As far as health concerns, if he is cleared he should be able to play, especially if they thought he was that much better. Because there are only 16 games every one is important to these guys, they work all year to play.  Everything points to Morse not being a difference maker in the coaching staffs eyes.

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

👀

I like Feliciano.  I actually think he may be a bit better at center than Morse, particularly on run-blocking plays

But I also think he's a much better guard than either Winters or Boettger

I might be playing homer here. But i agree.
Bills get weird sometimes. I have no idea who they are going to for center. seems like they would like a rotation if they could dress 54 players lol 

On 11/22/2020 at 3:13 PM, Victory Formation said:

Obviously you’d like to have Ford.. I think at this point you’d hope that he can become a good starter at guard.. The talent is there, he’s under contract for 2 more years and he’s making $1.3M/yr.. Think at this point you leave him there and hope the light comes on.. Feliciano goes to RG —which is typically your best run blocking guard.. Next year however I think Feliciano may go to center because I think Morse will be out of here.. too much money.. too many concussions.. we’ll see where we go in the draft/FA...

I do Like Cody. just not sold as best option yet.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Feliciano has not been good at center.  Really watch him.  His snaps are all over the place, he is missing blocks, and opening up zero holes in the middle.  He is an above average guard, below average center.  The decision by McDermott was horrible and will be sabotage if he continues to sit Morse.

you are still performing the Drudge report al a Buffalo Bills.

awesome effort by you thanks  I will "really" watch him if he gets called upon to back up Morse after being on IR with the Pec injury. I wonder if he is 100% . what say you ?

3 hours ago, Logic said:

I'd be willing to bet that front seven players, particularly interior defensive linemen, DO prepare for specific players in the lead-up to a game.

absolutely

3 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I wonder.
Every team scouts each player match up week to week.
especially when the line changes. EVERY team is looking for any weakness to exploit.
Morse and Jon F are very different type players. Defenses need to account for that as individuals and the play calling that might favor a finesse cerebral  Morse and  the Fine Brute that is Feliciano.

Go Bills

1 hour ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

It seems like similar circumstances to Spain's situation. I'm going to take McDermott at his word on this one and give Morse a 50/50 chance of playing and will not be surprised if he doesn't.

As far as health concerns, if he is cleared he should be able to play, especially if they thought he was that much better. Because there are only 16 games every one is important to these guys, they work all year to play.  Everything points to Morse not being a difference maker in the coaching staffs eyes.

McD and Dabolls can play who ever the funk they see fit to achieve their goals.
Trust the process already

:)

5 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

1) He wants to play but McDermott/Beane won't let him because they don't want to be responsible for the consequences of another concussion and will simply release him after the season if he wants to continue to play.

2) Morse is contemplating retirement or has already made the decision but keeping things in house so there is no lockeroom distractions.

3) He's going to play Sunday regardless of all the conspiracy loons chasing manufactured drama

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

Not saying it's impossible but don't understand why McDermott is playing a game with the media and it still doesn't make sense he would be benched as Morse was one of the best graded olinemen for this team this year.

Dude you’ve gone down the tin foil hat rabbit hole, take a deep breath, and then do your best to understand the non speak good coaches have perfected, then get yourself a beer and enjoy it.... 

Go Bills!!!

55 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

There has to be one of two things going on behind the scenes regarding Morse:

1) He wants to play but McDermott/Beane won't let him because they don't want to be responsible for the consequences of another concussion and will simply release him after the season if he wants to continue to play.

2) Morse is contemplating retirement or has already made the decision but keeping things in house so there is no lockeroom distractions.

Personally I hope it's number two because that what makes the most sense given Morse's lengthy history with head injuries.

No, there do not have to be one of these two things going on.

I swear to God, people complain that McDermott is not forthcoming in what he says, then when he says something they don't believe it and make up all kinds of *****

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 11/16/2020 at 2:44 PM, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Dude... McDermott specifically said this had nothing to do with it. And he had every reason TO blame it on health but he still didn't.

Maybe he wanted Morse to get more reps before the game.

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No, there do not have to be one of these two things going on.

I swear to God, people complain that McDermott is not forthcoming in what he says, then when he says something they don't believe it and make up all kinds of *****

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar

Neither of those even make sense if Morse is cleared to play and wants to play McBean aren't going to stop him it's his choice, and if he wanted to retire he could just do it none of his teammates are going to think less of him for it and it clears a roster spot for someone they need to bring up to speed.