Morse not starting was a "football decision" per McD

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Step 1 of the NFL’s concussion protocol is literally rest and recovery to return to baseline  symptom level.

Is he in the protocol?

2 hours ago, TBBills said:

Think I am gonna take a doctor's advice over a few forum posters...

lol which doctor?  What’s the team doctor say about Morse?

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Largely irrelevant. I was responding to the idea that rest isn’t part of concussion recovery.

Relevant to the discussion. If he's no longer in the protocol, he does not need to "rest up" due to a concussion.  

1 hour ago, TBBills said:

I think all doctors have the same thoughts about concussions... So why are you looking for one that fits your prognosis?

lol my prognosis?  His doctors have cleared him to play.  Are there other ones I should look for to dispute them?

What is your point?

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Relevant to the discussion. If he's no longer in the protocol, he does not need to "rest up" due to a concussion.  

Can't help other than refer you to the original comment to which I replied. For clarification it had nothing to do with whether Morse was in the concussion protocol.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

lol my prognosis?  His doctors have cleared him to play.  Are there other ones I should look for to dispute them?

What is your point?

Lol talking about saying rest isn't for concussions. Don't act like that

Edited by TBBills

5 hours ago, TBBills said:

You have proof other than McDermott didn't want to risk another concussion with the bye week coming up... We need Mitch for more important games than a game against a NFC opponent.

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Concussion don’t work like that. You don’t rest up a concussion.  

4 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Step 1 of the NFL’s concussion protocol is literally rest and recovery to return to baseline  symptom level.

The topic is why he was not played against the Cardinals.  

Since he was out of the protocol and medically cleared to play football again, there was no medical reason (and no recommendation) that he "rest" another week (or 2) before playing again.  There is no recommendation for further resting if there is a  nonconference opponent before a bye week.

C biscuit was pointing out that out.  The guy had been cleared.  His concussion did not need more resting. Biscuit was not saying no concussions ever need rest.

His only real risk reduction would be retirement.  Barring that, McD made it clear that keeping his out was not a medical decision.  He felt the Bills chances were better without him.  Any suggestion that he was kept out for other reasons has been dispelled by McD. 

"It was a football decision"..........So the bolded part above is wrong.

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

The topic is why he was not played against the Cardinals.  

Since he was out of the protocol and medically cleared to play football again, there was no medical reason (and no recommendation) that he "rest" another week (or 2) before playing again.  There is no recommendation for further resting if there is a  nonconference opponent before a bye week.

C biscuit was pointing out that out.  The guy had been cleared.  His concussion did not need more resting. 

His only real risk reduction would be retirement.  Barring that, McD made it clear that keeping his out was not a medical decision.  He felt the Bills chances were better without him.  Any suggestion that he was kept out for other reasons has been dispelled by McD. 

"It was a football decision"..........So the bolded part above is wrong.

Yes you were wrong about concussions we all know that.

Just now, TBBills said:

Also what I figured...

Lol concussion expert but they don't need rest.

Concussions are rested, per protocol, until they are cleared to play--we all know that.

You're saying that the Bills medical staff should not have cleared him?

Or that they cleared him but recommended "more rest", and McD decided to hide that fact from us all?

Or that McD over-ruled the team physicians and held him out because he personally thought it would be best for Morse medically?

So exactly what are you saying with regard to McD's "football decision" not to play Morse.

Simple question.

This thread is entertaining. Multiple Bills coaches believe that the team is better with Morse sitting. It doesn’t matter what some our preconceived notions are, how much the team is paying him, or how much we think we know about NFL OL play. The people who actually matter and likely know a lot more than we do have made a decision. Is there any reason why we should assume they are wrong?

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Concussions are rested, per protocol, until they are cleared to play--we all know that.

You're saying that the Bills medical staff should not have cleared him?

Or that they cleared him but recommended "more rest", and McD decided to hide that fact from us all?

Or that McD over-ruled the team physicians and held him out because he personally thought it would be best for Morse medically?

So exactly what are you saying with regard to McD's "football decision" not to play Morse.

Simple question.

Has nothing to do with Morse not being better than anyone I can tell you that much. He said he wanted to ride the "Momentum", since it is broken Morse should start on Sunday

15 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Has nothing to do with Morse not being better than anyone I can tell you that much. He said he wanted to ride the "Momentum", since it is broken Morse should start on Sunday

He felt that the "momentum" would be negatively affected by Morse's inclusion on the field.

Other than for that, Morse is the best man on the roster for the Center job.

Well argued!

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He felt that the "momentum" would be negatively affected by Morse's inclusion on the field.

Other than for that, Morse is the best man on the roster for the Center job.

Well argued!

Not my argument it exactly what was said... You don't like it take it up with McDermott.

3 hours ago, Doc said:

What I believe he was saying is that the OL did well against the Seahawks and since Morse is coming off a concussion, his 6th and 2nd in a year-and-a-half, why not give Feliciano another game to see what he could do? 

I don't think he did anything to lay claim to being a better C than Morse and again as I said, Feliciano is more valuable at OG.

https://espnrochester.radio.com/articles/wgr-am-article/mcdermott-morse-not-playing-was-a-coachs-decision    "He was healthy," McDermott told reporters on his weekly Zoom conference call. "Mitch is a good player and we just felt like, for that week, that week being last week, we felt like we had at least some momentum with the group we had had in when Mitch went down and wanted to take a look at one more week there."

You're entitled to your opinion, but this is what McD said.  

44 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Just because we lost doesn't mean O-line momentum was broken.  You're talking assignment adjustments, getting off the ball and being effective as a unit.  They saw things on film they liked and kept with it against the Cards.  To me, the fact McD is noncommittal about Morse starting this weekend tells me he probably won't.  I'm sure they put a lot of work in to try and fix their run game and I just think McD would tag Morse as starter again if it had worked out.  I don't think he would be coy about who's starting at center, because at worst there seemed no noticeable dropoff with Mongo in there.

Edited by GaryPinC

4 hours ago, Pasaluki said:

Either McDermott doesn't believe Morse is a good player anymore or he is too afraid to play him because of his injury history. 

Neither are ideal especially as the Bills Oline is far from dominant with or without Morse.

You never want to hear that the Center you paid so much money to has been medically cleared to play but yet is "in the mix"

How about Option C, maybe McDermott and Daboll believe that Morse is a good player and are not worried about his injury history. 

Maybe they believe what they said - they wanted to get another look at the OL that had played together decently for 2 weeks, to see if a third week of continuity would be helpful.

Maybe something changed with Morse's play that made Mongo a better choice last week, but Morse has the ability and competitiveness to fix it.  So they're going to evaluate and see if he has done so?

Or maybe some of both

McDermott has always preached "everything is earned, nothing is given". 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1