Matt Hasselbeck on QB “intangibles” and Josh...

eball

27 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

I fell in love with Josh last year and felt pretty strongly that he'd be the guy to lead this team for the next decade.  I didn't think he'd get this good, this fast, but he's so smart, so strong, so physically gifted and has so much natural charisma/leadership ability, I figured it would just be a matter of time before he cemented himself as a top-10 QB in the league.

Have you told him how you feel?

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

Josh Allen is going to be better than Jim Kelly when it’s all said and done. 

Which is ironic since he has been going to Jim multiple times for advice.

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Oh boy we're crowning Josh Allen again. Can't the man play a good game without crowning him? 

We all know what happens now. He lays an egg in Arizona. 

Buffalo do not lay eggs. Phish do.  Maybe you want to change your name to Salmon_Run Phishie?

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Thank goodness the Bills were still only attracted to big strong armed QB's. 

But it turns out size and arm strength were not his only elite traits. Competitiveness, work ethic, and athleticism are his equally elite traits. That's what the pre-draft amateur analysis missed. And yes those traits matter a ton for a raw QB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Russ didn't have a bad game against us.   His defense sucked and we were able to take advantage of him a few times.  But I have 100% seen Wilson have bad games.

For Wilson he did have a bad day.  He was visibly flustered, lost ball when he normally would not and threw balls he normally would not taking chances.  It was not just bad luck - our guys made plays - but I am sure he went back to film room and repeatedly saw mistakes he made.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

But it turns out size and arm strength were not his only elite traits. Competitiveness, work ethic, and athleticism are his equally elite traits. That's what the pre-draft amateur analysis missed. And yes those traits matter a ton for a raw QB.

And toughness.  He can take a hit.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Mel Kiper Jr was one of the only draft guys who never wavered on Josh, even getting into it with McShay at the draft after his rookie year.

• Like (+1) 1

The best part of Allen has always been the way he hypes up the team & gets involved on the sidelines. You know he's in it, and his team supports him.

That's one thing that has failed many talented QB's over the years. You may have the skills, but if your team doesn't rally around you & play for you, those skills won't be enough to elevate the team. 

Granted, it works both ways, but IMO it's better to have your team's support so they'll play hard no matter what. If they give up on you, the game is already over.

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Given the brevity of Jim's career and the lack of a championship, this seems quite likely. He will have to overcome the romanticization/overrating of Jim that has occurred over time though.

I wouldn't define 11 years,  177 career NFL games (with playoffs) and almost 40,000 yds and 260 TDs as a brief career.  I believe that the Bills ability to run the ball was as important, if not more important, as Kelly's passing ability in the 1988-1993 era. 

35 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

I wouldn't define 11 years,  177 career NFL games (with playoffs) and almost 40,000 yds and 260 TDs as a brief career.  I believe that the Bills ability to run the ball was as important, if not more important, as Kelly's passing ability in the 1988-1993 era. 

Plus 2 USFL years with Hull.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I agree and I think the same about some have it and some don’t. Burrow has it. Darnold doesn’t. I’ve said that since he was at USC. I don’t think Herbert does. Still think he’s very good but I don’t see it. 

Yolo from the first game, from the very first game watching him in the pros it just plain looked like "he has it" even if "it" wasn't perfect or didn't result in a win.

Such good stuff.  

I never thought of thinking about it the way Hasselback is suggesting, with respect to how other teams might view him.

Again, just good, good stuff.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's a great story. 

Thanks.

Just curious.  Who are these "dominance every game" QB?

Russ didn't have a bad game against us.   His defense sucked and we were able to take advantage of him a few times.  But I have 100% seen Wilson have bad games.

Literally listed the guys out in the post. 

This is what I've talked about on many occasions. From the time Josh stepped on the field as a rookie you could feel a different energy, a different vibe around the whole team. His teammates rallied around him like no other QB I could remember since Jim Kelly. The offense played better, the defense played better, and all while he was basically learning on the fly. Now after two more years of work we are actually seeing Josh coming into his own and it's amazing to watch. His teammates rally around him, he can throw the ball all over the field with accuracy, he can fit the ball into windows others can't because of sheer arm strength, he makes throws on the run that only 3 or 4 other QB's in this league can make right now, you're not going to bring him down easy, he is threat to run at any given point if the defense breaks down, and he's got that clutch gene MANY QB's in this league just don't have. 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Literally listed the guys out in the post. 

OK, so in this post:

You said "The truly great ones, you expect dominance every game and fear them picking you apart.  If you happen to slow them down enough to win, good job."

You also listed "Brady, Rodgers, Breese, Wilson, Maholmes, Big Ben"

All of these guys have had "bad days" during their career where they were not dominant and the other team had no fear of them.

You also say "if you get to the fourth quarter and are down 14 or less, you still believe you are firmly in it, even on a bad day".  It seems to me that even when Josh is having what I consider a bad day, we are usually in it in the fourth quarter.  I can think of two games where that wasn't true - the Eagles last year, and the Titans this year.  And maybe that goofy Houston game at the end where Josh was just trying to do too much.

Other than that, the KC game was, I would say, a bad game for Josh and it was 23-10 and when the Bills scored to make it 17-23 with 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter, I thought we were right in it until KC drove down for a FG to make it a 2 score game again - and if Zimmer's fumble had not been overturned, we might have at least managed a tie.

Last year, the first NE game which was undeniably a bad game for Josh with 3 INT, the score was still 10-16 (with a missed FG) going into the 4th Q and if Josh hadn't gotten knocked out I thought we had a real chance.    The Brownies game, right in it 19-16 with a missed FG to tie it in the final seconds (and another missed FG from 34 yards earlier).  The Ravens game, 17-24, again, right down there on the Ravens 16 with a chance to tie it at 1:08 left in the game.  The 2nd NE game, we had the lead going into the 4th Q, again we came back and were right there on the NE 9 with 1:12 left.

I mean, you can "expect dominance every game" if you like from Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Wilson, Mahomes, and Big Ben" but the fact is: they've all had games where they were not dominant and the other team was in no fear of them all game, in fact their team was blown out.  Even Mahomes has a couple such games!  They all have many other games where they were not having a great day and their win came down to a few more plays by their team and by them at the end of the game, or a tie and going to overtime. 

That's why I wondered who you meant.

5 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Given the brevity of Jim's career and the lack of a championship, this seems quite likely. He will have to overcome the romanticization/overrating of Jim that has occurred over time though.

If Josh carries the Bills to being a perennial powerhouse, going to the playoffs and dare I say it Super Bowls Josh Allen will become a legend in his own right so that won't really matter anymore.  As of right now Jim Kelly has earned the pedestal he has been placed on in Bills Country.  

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I agree and I think the same about some have it and some don’t. Burrow has it. Darnold doesn’t. I’ve said that since he was at USC. I don’t think Herbert does. Still think he’s very good but I don’t see it. 

I think there are some QBs who can be good and not 'have it'. I feel kinda the same about Herbert. I said the same about Darnold to some Jets fans I know. Can you imagine Darnold going into an offseason and saying, "I'm not good at this, but after this offseason, I'll never be bad at it again."? How about the effortless way Josh just seems to make friends with everybody? I think that's super helpful for a QB. I don't think anyone would be surprised if Josh had an endzone celebration with every guy on the team and practiced it with them.