Josh Was Hurt... Theory Inside

As everyone knows, the first 4 games of the season, ol Joshy boy light the world on fire, and appeared unstoppable and in the running for MVP mention...

Then he got his non throwing shoulder crunched during the raider game, and immediately went into the tent before the half... 

The entire mafia was holding its breath at that point, and to our/my surprise, he was back out there, barely missing a beat. 

But he had a brace on his shoulder... his non throwing shoulder. Hear me out.. 

Josh's off season had to do with mechanics... throwing mechanics, and becoming a more rotational thrower... 

We don't know exactly the extent of the injury he had, probably a sprain or something... 

BUT. 

Wearing a brace on your non throwing shoulder would cause some unfamiliarity and interference with your rotational mechanics. 

When trying to establish muscle memory for mechanics all off season, and you toss an apparatus on your non throwing shoulder, that will mess with some things. 

Seattle was the first game since LVR we've seen him without that brace. 

Yes, seattle has a historically bad pass defense, but Josh was ripping them in there with confidence again. 

I blame the brace for the slide in performance... May his ancestors protect him. 🙏 #gobills

Thoughts? 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Your theory doesn't address the mental side of his game, which also took a hit around the time he put on the shoulder brace.

Tennessee put 7 guys in coverage and it confused Josh; others followed suit and he remained confused. 

We then played the worst D in the NFL on Sunday and he had a great comeback game.

It will be interesting to see which Josh we get next week.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

Matt Hasselbeck said yesterday that he once had the injury Josh has on his non-throwing shoulder. He said it causes you to throw high, and that it takes 4-5 weeks to start to feel like yourself again. I thought that was pretty interesting.

Honestly, I think it was a perfect storm of reasons: Josh's injury, John Brown's absence, and the new ways that defenses were playing the Bills offense. Luckily, Josh seems to have healed up, John Brown is back in the lineup, and they're figuring out how to beat the soft zones.

• Like (+1) 12
  • Thank you (+1) 5

His throws were not off during the slump. 

It was the coverages he played against. 

The Titans and Chiefs played very safe and forced Josh to either hold on to the ball and wait for an opening down the field or take the checkdown. 

He most certainly struggled taking the short stuff. Daboll as well had to adjust his plan to make the quick passing attack a strength. Which took some time. 

We are currently seeing a Bills offense that can make every type of play work. 

Can we say the shoulder affected him? Sure, but it certainly wasnt the shoulder that was the cause of our slump.

Edited by Ramza86
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Honestly, I think it was a perfect storm of reasons: Josh's injury, John Brown's absence, and the new ways that defenses were playing the Bills offense. Luckily, Josh seems to have healed up, John Brown is back in the lineup, and they're figuring out how to beat the soft zones.

Right on. It's almost always a confluence of events and not just any one thing. If it was one thing then it's generally easy to fix and compensate. Fans tend to like to reduce things down to it being one simple thing such as "AJ KLEIN!" or "EDMUNDS!" and think if they just replaced Klein then everything would be great again on defense or that trading for  TE would fix everything. 

Just now, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Anyone who can't appreciate what a great performance that was yesterday, not to mention getting through 4 weeks with a separated shoulder and not missing any time needs to look at themselves seriously. You have issues!

Jackie Chiles Ok GIF

• Haha (+1) 6

11 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Your theory doesn't address the mental side of his game, which also took a hit around the time he put on the shoulder brace.

Tennessee put 7 guys in coverage and it confused Josh; others followed suit and he remained confused. 

We then played the worst D in the NFL on Sunday and he had a great comeback game.

Matt Hasselback was on to discuss playing with a brace and how it is difficult and is awkward and the ball tends to come out high.

I'll take the words of somebody that played the position with the brace on over your theory

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It was not one thing.

- Separated shoulder

- We barely had the ball against two good offenses during that stretch

- Defenses dared us to run and we couldn't run, so they played with defensive backs all over the field

- Defenses were disguising coverage and throwing new looks at Josh out of respect for his game

- The whole team just flat out played poorly for a few games, which affects offensive momentum

- John Brown was injured

- Bad weather

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Logic said:

Matt Hasselbeck said yesterday that he once had the injury Josh has on his non-throwing shoulder. He said it causes you to throw high, and that it takes 4-5 weeks to start to feel like yourself again. I thought that was pretty interesting.

And torrential downpours.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, ILBillsfan said:

Matt Hasselback was on to discuss playing with a brace and how it is difficult and is awkward and the ball tends to come out high.

I'll take the words of somebody that played the position with the brace on over your theory

the other thing, one of Josh’s mechanics adjustments was with his left arm, They likin it eating a cheeseburger as part of the throwing motion. I guess it levels the shoulders. 

Having had a separated shoulder Myself, it was a lot harder to move arm around, lift, etc.

In his case it might have messed up his touch passing. He did have some throws that were off. 

• Like (+1) 2

He still isn't throwing that deep ball like he was the first 4 weeks. He had much more Arc (Russell Wilson) style it looked awesome. He is back to the whip it down field hard catch long balls. Hopefully he gets back to the Rus style long ball he was throwing the first 4 weeks.

Edited by TBBills
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

It will be interesting to see which Josh we get next week.

Yes absolutely. Allen was amazing yesterday but in the second half he was slightly below his first half brilliance and held on to the ball a spilt second longer here and there,  he seemed to then be a touch less decisive than the fantastic first half. I say this only because this is what had been his 'offgame' before yesterday and we had sometimes seen this regression within games and week to week. 

Yesterday I felt like he was manoeuvring players open more than I'd seen, accuracy was great and pocket awareness was top. I also think that the mental side of the game - you could just tell that he was completely on top of that yesterday, in control. 

Edited by london_bills

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

The mental side can creep in when you’re not feeling confident in your body.