Josh Was Hurt... Theory Inside

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

During the offseason, Cover 1 did a full breakdown of Josh Allen's mechanical issues.  

https://www.cover1.net/taming-josh-allens-arm-how-mechanical-tweaks-have-buffalos-qb-primed-for-a-year-3-leap/

It's a fantastic article, for anyone who hasn't gotten a chance to read it.  While a lot of Allen's early struggles involved footwork and head control, they also have an entire section about how his left arm (keeping it tight) is key in affecting balance.

I'm certainly not an expert in QB mechanics, but I thought Allen's throwing motion was noticeably different starting with the Titans game.  So it's interesting that Seattle was his first game since Week 4 without the brace, and definitely lends support to the theory that the injury was affecting his play.

Bangedupbills, whose PT owner earned a doctorate and spends his life analyzing people's movements to treat underlying injuries, feels the same.

It's also a point that as the games progressed, Allen seemed to get looser and make adjustments but vs Tenn and KC it was too late.  As the Bills showed the SeaSnakes on Sunday, if you let a good team jump ahead on you, it's hard to play catch-up.  And of course, the failure to establish the run game left it all on Josh.

I think that was one of the motivations behind the NE game plan.   With that game plan, Daboll said to Josh:

-we're going to prove that the pundits are wrong, it's NOT all on you, you do have 10 guys around you

-we're going to put it on film that we CAN run the ball

-you aren't going to get many chances, so when you do throw, you need to it count. 

I didn't notice but they may have taken his brace off or switched to a lower profile brace, in which case it would make sense to put him on a "throw count"

16 hours ago, Logic said:

Matt Hasselbeck said yesterday that he once had the injury Josh has on his non-throwing shoulder. He said it causes you to throw high, and that it takes 4-5 weeks to start to feel like yourself again. I thought that was pretty interesting.

Honestly, I think it was a perfect storm of reasons: Josh's injury, John Brown's absence, and the new ways that defenses were playing the Bills offense. Luckily, Josh seems to have healed up, John Brown is back in the lineup, and they're figuring out how to beat the soft zones.

this is spot on, you can add the weather adding to the challenges as well

4 hours ago, prissythecat said:

There is your answer right there.  Though it was great to see Josh look good,  nothing beats facing a porous pass defense to boost ones confidence.  I suspect that when the Bills play a top 5 defense like Steelers,  we will see some regression .   Hopefully not as bad as what we saw during the losing streak.

Its unlikely that Allen will have the same success against the Steelers D as he had against the Seahawks. In fact his and his skill players' dominance last Sunday was so complete that it would be getting ahead of ourselves to assume that this is now to be our weekly fare. We are not yet the Chiefs, though we may well get there eventually. In fact, as the season progresses towards the playoffs I see it as entirely possible that the Bills develop into a credible championship contender. 

But if JA &Co are unable to routinely do to other teams what they did to Seattle, that does not mean that Allen has regressed. The team and Allen may have less success in the short term while Allen continues to play well and grow into his role. That's really the main thing right now at this point in the season.

I think seven DBs and a horrid run game had more to do with the last three games than the shoulder stuff.  Seattle came out in a blitz happy mode and paid for it.  I would expect the remainder of the games to be 7 DB-ish type games until the Bills show they can run against teams.  

Edited by wjag