When McDermott talks about games, does he sound passive?

This has been my concern, particularly when talking about teams "on par" or perceived better then Buffalo.  And this goes back to day 1.  However now I consider the Bills a good/very good team.  

When they talk about the game it seems always that the Bills have to limit the opposition and control the flow of the game to minimize their "chances".  

They always sound passive.  I know it is about not offering "bulletin board" material, but then the Bills go out and play "scared" imo.  This was so evident last year vs. Baltimore, Pitt & many other games.  Last week too vs. NE, they should have put up 30+, but were commited to the ground game & let NE (vastly inferior team) stick around & almost pull it out.  

Seattle is a perfect example & let's see how it plays out.  The Seahawks are on the road, one of the worst defenses in the NFL that has been shredded every week through the air and this week should be absolutely no different.

If it plays to script the Bills should be prepared that Seattle will score 30+ & the Bills should game plan and prepare to score 40+.  

However if they try to play like they did vs. NE, KC or Tenn they will be beaten.

I expect the Bills to win, but only if they score 35+.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

And that he wouldn’t care for passive speakers like Bill Belichick. 

The issue is they then go out & play passive & post-game explain that was their game plan.

I am frankly really tired of hearing this over & over.  

Would be nice to see a win & say afterwards "We went out there with the intention of scoring 30+ points against one of the top offenses in football". 

3 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Watch a presser and then watch a post game locker room video. 

It's not passive coaching, it's coach speak. 

Every coach does it when interviewed about another team before they play them. 

Sure but as said, they then go out & play that way.  

Edited by Billsfan1972

Missing the point (or maybe I should have said after the game), but it always sounds the same that the Bills are scared everytime they play a team like this.  

Sorry if the nuance is missed, but you watch the Bills in these games and generally they are playing passive in my opinion.

44 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Tennessee, sure. Was just an awful game to to bottom. 

KC the game plan looked to be too keep their offense off the field and run the ball. 

NE, they dropped 7 into coverage all game limiting the big plays and had to do it with underneath stuff and the run game. 

McD spoke the same way the first 4 games when Allen was on fire also so it's not like he's doing anything different. 

3 minutes ago, TH3 said:

This is concerning....McDerrmott back on the hot seat!

No he's not, but I want to see the Bills play aggressively vs. the Seahawks.

However if the game plays anything like vs. Tenn or KC, I will think it will be because they were passive and scared. 

• Haha (+1) 1

He’s just a bit stiff and buttoned up. 

At the end of the day he is a Defensive Coordinator who probably would like to win 17-14, but knows that’s not logical in today’s NFL.

He probably thinks Special Teams is more important than it really is and luckily Beane has realized that the skill position talent needs to get better.

I have seen some growth with going for it on 4th down and less running on 1st-down.

Instead of the word “passive”, I think he sounds “dismissive” in interviews. He gives the cliche answer, but it’s in that tone of he’s seen it all, done it all, knows how it’s going to go.

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

This has been my concern, particularly when talking about teams "on par" or perceived better then Buffalo.  And this goes back to day 1.  However now I consider the Bills a good/very good team.  

When they talk about the game it seems always that the Bills have to limit the opposition and control the flow of the game to minimize their "chances".  

They always sound passive.  I know it is about not offering "bulletin board" material, but then the Bills go out and play "scared" imo.  This was so evident last year vs. Baltimore, Pitt & many other games.  Last week too vs. NE, they should have put up 30+, but were commited to the ground game & let NE (vastly inferior team) stick around & almost pull it out.  

Seattle is a perfect example & let's see how it plays out.  The Seahawks are on the road, one of the worst defenses in the NFL that has been shredded every week through the air and this week should be absolutely no different.

If it plays to script the Bills should be prepared that Seattle will score 30+ & the Bills should game plan and prepare to score 40+.  

However if they try to play like they did vs. NE, KC or Tenn they will be beaten.

You should have ended your post with:

"I'm not a psychiatrist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night"

That would have given your post much more credibility!

• Haha (+1) 1

This is so wrong. If the Bills had come out throwing (in 40-mph gusts of wind) against the Patriots they would have played right into Belichick's defensive scheme. 

I'd rather have a coach who is rational than a ranting fool like Rex Ryan. 

I expect the Bills to show a more aggressive passing game against Seattle, but I would not be surprised if they mix in a lot of running in order to keep the ball out of Wilson's hands. 

• Like (+1) 2

The issue is they then go out & play passive & post-game explain that was their game plan.

I am frankly really tired of hearing this over & over.  

Would be nice to see a win & say afterwards "We went out there with the intention of scoring 30+ points against one of the top offenses in football". 

What exactly Are you complaining About?  Do you think that our offensive plan is to not score points?  Or that our defensive plan is to give up a bunch of points?   Or is it defensive game plans like against KC, which would’ve worked if our offense would’ve been better. 

• Like (+1) 1

The poster does not care about the Bills.  He cares about being entertained.  He would rather have McD act like a carnival barker than an NFL HC because it would entertain him.  He stated specifically last season he would rather see the Bills lose as in his mind the game was entertaining.  He would rather see Seattle win 45-42 on Sunday vs. the Bills win 17-14.  It’s pathetic.

• Like (+1) 1