Daniel Jones---bust?

Big Turk

32 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

He was brutal last night.  I have even more appreciation for how much Josh Allen has progressed.

Allen's problems as a rookie were his rawness and, during his first season, lack of good QB coaching.   Despite that, he progressed through his rookie season, and with better coaching last season, he blossomed.   This year, he's matured into a franchise QB.  The key to that progress is that he learns from his mistakes and doesn't keep making the same ones over and over. 

Jones is just the opposite.  He simply makes poor decisions , and he keeps them again and again.   Both INTs were because he tried to make throws he couldn't instead of just throwing the ball away.    Twenty games into his career, he should have at least figured out when to do that, and apparently he hasn't, especially when under pressure.  He reminds me of JP Losman, who could make beautiful throws and occasional great plays, but under pressure, he always made the wrong decision.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He plays like Josh Allen without Josh Allen's physical abilities or toughness.  

I thought he played like LAST year's Josh Allen.  He repeatedly overthrew open receivers down field and made some poor decisions.  However, more than the physical abilities, my concern would be whether he is progressing the way Allen was.  To me, the ability to learn (and willingness to put the effort in to learn) has always been one of Allen's greatest attributes. I am not sure we are seeing a better Daniel Jones this year than we did last.....and that would concern me.

Just now, fergie's ire said:

I thought he played like LAST year's Josh Allen.  He repeatedly overthrew open receivers down field and made some poor decisions.  However, more than the physical abilities, my concern would be whether he is progressing the way Allen was.  To me, the ability to learn (and willingness to put the effort in to learn) has always been one of Allen's greatest attributes. I am not sure we are seeing a better Daniel Jones this year than we did last.....and that would concern me.

He seems to be more erratic this year.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Allen's problems as a rookie were his rawness and, during his first season, lack of good QB coaching.   Despite that, he progressed through his rookie season, and with better coaching last season, he blossomed.   This year, he's matured into a franchise QB.  The key to that progress is that he learns from his mistakes and doesn't keep making the same ones over and over. 

Jones is just the opposite.  He simply makes poor decisions , and he keeps them again and again.   Both INTs were because he tried to make throws he couldn't instead of just throwing the ball away.    Twenty games into his career, he should have at least figured out when to do that, and apparently he hasn't, especially when under pressure.  He reminds me of JP Losman, who could make beautiful throws and occasional great plays, but under pressure, he always made the wrong decision.

I think we were making the same point simultaneously. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Giants' OL is among the league's worst. Jones is forced to play hero ball a lot, I think he can be a solid QB with more development and better play around him. I don't see him ever becoming a star, but maybe a Stafford-level guy with a long career of being pretty good.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

Gettleman should have been fired the second he used the number 2 overall pick on a RB in a highly regarded QB draft.  That pick could have yielded a treasure trove of draft capital, and he just flat out squandered it.  

Spot on. I called this the moment they drafted Barkley but several people had an opinion that Barkley was a generational talent. This is yet another in a line of examples of why a high 1st round RB is a luxury pick. Giants were close to needing a QB, which is the exact time to have drafted one especially in that quality class. They were then left reaching for a QB. 

14 minutes ago, 947 said:

The Giants' OL is among the league's worst. Jones is forced to play hero ball a lot, I think he can be a solid QB with more development and better play around him. I don't see him ever becoming a star, but maybe a Stafford-level guy with a long career of being pretty good.

Not to mention, some of the balls he threw were actually great balls but it looked like the receivers were slow to turn and look for the ball or they just gave up on the play. 

Of course, some he over shot and threw a bad ball but some of those could have been caught with better receiver play.

Uneven but certainly has the tools. A couple poor decisions cost them the game. Giants played a pretty good game last night. He’s young and has to eliminate hero ball (sound familiar). I still think he can be good. The media are so quick to give up on some of these young QB’s. I have seen more promise from Jones than Darnold. 

Edited by QLBillsFan
Spelling
  • Like (+1) 1

Living in Giants country, there is a love hate relationship with him. He has flashes of real talent, but he just can’t put it together. I think losing Saquan Barkley this year is a huge loss for him, having a guy like that takes a lot of pressure off of the QB. Jason Garrett will be able to get the most out of him, and I feel like last night, they played really well until the second interception. How many times have we seen the same thing against a Brady led team. You give him an inch, and he turns it into a country mile. He came right back and got the score, but it wasn’t enough. 

Personally, I don’t think he’s a bust yet. I feel like Garett will be very good for him in the long run, and he will be able to get them to a respectable place on offense next year. 

Edited by RobbRiddicksTDLeap

3 hours ago, Greg S said:

If Trevor Lawrence ends up on the Giants than that would be fantastic. I would feel so bad for our "friends" in green.

Would be nice but I honestly don't see how the Jests win a game this year.

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Jones now has played 20 games and has 21 INTs and 15 lost fumbles, which gives him the most turnovers(36 total) through his first 20 games for a QB since Ryan Leaf had 41...

Think it might be time to realize he isn't the guy they thought he was and maybe is more like the guy every other team thought he was...

https://sports.yahoo.com/time-giants-start-wondering-daniel-054545643.html

To be honest, he does some really impressive things with his arm and legs but he’s more inconsistent than Josh Allen on his worst day.  The turnovers are brutal too.

I think he was a reach by a desperate GM but I don’t think he’s that bad and that he has a chance to improve.  He’s also done a fairly decent job elevating the receivers on the roster 

A lot of issues with his situation and the way he played.  But last night the refs stole his chance to lead his team back.   Surviving the NFL QB curve is one of the hardest things to do for any athlete in any sport.  Calls like that last night change lives, maybe his.