Drops - Not a great stat

Not sure if Gabriel Davis' was considered one vs. NE, but saw the Bills have 18 drops this year.

Diggs has 7 alone.  

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/buffalo-bills-team-stats?category=receiving&sort=rec_yyds&season=2020&seasonType=reg&sortOrder=desc

The first four weeks they seemed to catch everything & seems the last 4 weeks has been suspect.

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Not sure if Gabriel Davis' was considered one vs. NE, but saw the Bills have 18 drops this year.

Diggs has 7 alone.  

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/buffalo-bills-team-stats?category=receiving&sort=rec_yyds&season=2020&seasonType=reg&sortOrder=desc

The first four weeks they seemed to catch everything & seems the last 4 weeks has been suspect.

Weather has played a part in last couple weeks for sure. 

1 minute ago, bobobonators said:

I cant remember which game but I feel we had 4-5 drops in that game alone a couple weeks back. Maybe vs chiefs

The Titans game was bad. Andre Roberts started it off with the ball that popped off of his chest right into the defender's hands. 

• Like (+1) 5

I was on this point going in to the Patriots game.  The biggest difference in my mind between weeks 1-4 and 5-8 is the receivers caught everything thrown at them.  Not so much lately.  Why, weather, scheme, defenses, etc.  All can big argued.  It's just been glaring lately.  That needs to be fixed this week.

3 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Gabe Davis is a waste of a starting WR spot.   With Brown struggling though injuries, we need to try something else at outside WR.  Whether it is a trade,or Duke, we need an outside WR that is actually capable.   Davis is a better slot guy.

Stop

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Many of them have also been HUGE plays.

- Andre Roberts tipping the ball in the air, and starting the blowout against the Titans

- John Brown dropping a key first down against the Chiefs

- Gabriel Davis dropping the touchdown pass Sunday

Just another part of this team underperforming horribly.

2 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Gabe Davis is a waste of a starting WR spot.   With Brown struggling though injuries, we need to try something else at outside WR.  Whether it is a trade,or Duke, we need an outside WR that is actually capable.   Davis is a better slot guy.

Seems to me he is progressing on a normal pace as a first year wide receiver.  The Bills have historically been too quick to give up on players.  His play has fallen off as all WRs have been without John Brown on the field.

For this stat to make sense you cant look at number of drops, you have to look at catch percentage, otherwise the data isnt normalized.   Yes Diggs has drops, but he also has had a lot of opportunities to drop the ball.  The real weak spots have been Brown, Knox and Davis.   I am not sure whats going on with Brown, I know he has a lower body injury, but 51% is just brutal.  On the upside Beasley has been automatic this year.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Many of them have also been HUGE plays.

- Andre Roberts tipping the ball in the air, and starting the blowout against the Titans

- John Brown dropping a key first down against the Chiefs

- Gabriel Davis dropping the touchdown pass Sunday

Just another part of this team underperforming horribly.

agreed. Add to that the possible TD Through diggs’ hands against the chiefs on the long bomb.

i made this point in another thread, but if our receivers make all of these catches, the offense these past few weeks looks dramatically different.  Receivers need to execute and make hard catches. 

16 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Give up on Duke. He can't hold Gabe's jock.

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

agreed. Add to that the possible TD Through diggs’ hands against the chiefs on the long bomb.

i made this point in another thread, but if our receivers make all of these catches, the offense these past few weeks looks dramatically different.  Receivers need to execute and make hard catches. 

That one to Diggs was a great play by Thornhill. I don't even count that as a drop. The guy had his hand right in Diggs's bucket. I don't think there was a way to catch that.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

For this stat to make sense you cant look at number of drops, you have to look at catch percentage, otherwise the data isnt normalized.   Yes Diggs has drops, but he also has had a lot of opportunities to drop the ball.  The real weak spots have been Brown, Knox and Davis.   I am not sure whats going on with Brown, I know he has a lower body injury, but 51% is just brutal.  On the upside Beasley has been automatic this year.

7 drop vs. 54 receptions is a drop rate of 11.5% (7/61)....  That is not good.  

Here is 2019 (though drop % based on targets and Diggs is then 8.9%, still not good)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/receiving_advanced.htm

19 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Umm...I think you need to go back and watch him play the entire season. Not a great hot take. 

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

7 drop vs. 54 receptions is a drop rate of 11.5% (7/61)....  That is not good.  

Here is 2019 (though drop % based on targets and Diggs is then 8.9%, still not good)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/receiving_advanced.htm

Understood its not great.  But his catch rate is 68.8, which is also around guys like Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp.   I think most people knew coming in Diggs wasnt known for his hands like say Deandre Hopkins, he has always been up and down hands wise.   He makes his money being a great route runner. 

Edited by thenorthremembers