Sunday Ticket anti-trust lawsuit revived

24 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Seem like they have been dabbling. Ironically they already have the content delivery platform called game pass. They live stream preseason games and local market games through the nfl app already. 

I suspect they just don’t have the balls to say buhbye to that $1.5B dollar annual check in the hopes that could make kind of loot on their own. 

1.5 Billion...this number could probably reach 2-3 billion in income if they managed it. They could literally hire a high rise building of smart people to manage that. Incredibly lazy.

Its another reason the Goodell era has been overrated. 

Edited by RichRiderBills

8 hours ago, SC BIlls Fan said:

I wish at some point there would be a package where I could just pay to watch Bills games. 

This would be great I have to hear my wife every year about our cable bill around 175$. With ST. I could care less about watching tv at that hi price but they make you have a package I’ve been paying this prices for years.but I’m screwed either way because I live in Mississippi where I have satellite internet so streaming would be terrible. And in Mississippi only bills games on tv are prime time and y’all no how many of those we used to get. So I don’t no what I can do with terrible internet and D’tv giving me the shaft. I guess be thankful I don’t miss a bills game lol 

3 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Seem like they have been dabbling. Ironically they already have the content delivery platform called game pass. They live stream preseason games and local market games through the nfl app already. 

I suspect they just don’t have the balls to say buhbye to that $1.5B dollar annual check in the hopes that could make kind of loot on their own. 

Yeah it's alot easier when the biggest task you have is to just go and cash the check and not have to do any work.  But likely long term they could make more with running their own network.  Maybe they will look for some way to kick the can down the road a little with some short term deal that allows them to just keep cashing checks, but start to get their feet wet so they are all ready to jump into the deep end..

9 hours ago, Steptide said:

Sunday ticket should be it's own entity. Think of the Sunday ticket like Netflix. You pay a monthly subscription, get every game during the season (in and out of network) and have access to past games and/or the condensed games. Think of the content they could put on it. I'd much rather do that than deal with directv every year 

Excellent idea. Also it makes WAY too much sense. Therefore, it’ll never happen sadly. 

To be fair:

The agreement between DirecTV and the NFL preceded AT&T acquiring DirecTV.

The NFL made that deal at a time where DirecTV had a much greater subscriber base.

I suspect that when the contract expires in 2022 they will open the bidding to Amazon, Hulu, etc.

• Like (+1) 1

Without the Ticket, Direct TV goes under.  I have my own out of town ticket.  It’s called driving two blocks to the closest Wild Wings.  Given how many late games and night games this year, I only have to go to the restaurant a couple of times.  Given I live in Tampa, we always get the Bills/Fins game on regular tv.

I wouldn’t hold you’re breath this changes.

9 hours ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

you cant get Bills games on cable outside Buffalo.

I watch them in Rochester just fine on cable.  Otherwise any game can be watched in any sports bar anywhere.

Are people really putting a dish on their roof just to get Sunday ticket?

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Umm, yes.  I have for the last 20 years.  DTV use to be a fine company until ATT took over.  I've been fortunate in that, in these 20 years, I've annually received ST at a reduced cost or free.

5 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

I suspect that when the contract expires in 2022 they will open the bidding to Amazon, Hulu, etc.

I could be wrong, which is entirely possible, but I thought I read recently that the NFL can sell, or maintain, the streaming rights to ST starting in 2021.  

Edited by Ned Flanders

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I watch them in Rochester just fine on cable.  Otherwise any game can be watched in any sports bar anywhere.

yes...had one for 20 years now. What's the problem? 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Rochester is in the Buffalo TV market. 

Try watching the Bills at a sports bar in San Diego.

To legally watch the Bills play live in 97% of the country, at least the 1:00 pm EST games, you need to a) subscribe to DTV and b) pay the extra $ for ST.

5 hours ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

Rochester is in the Buffalo TV market. 

Try watching the Bills at a sports bar in San Diego.

To legally watch the Bills play live in 97% of the country, at least the 1:00 pm EST games, you need to a) subscribe to DTV and b) pay the extra $ for ST.

I have (and they didn't even make me pay for their Sunday Ticket subscription!)

You just need to go to one with more than 1 TV.   

On 11/2/2020 at 12:02 PM, Mr Info said:

I do not agree with this or the original poster.

Is Sunday Ticket expensive? Sure but Directv/ATT agreed to pay the NFL an exorbitant amt of $ (which, incidentally, is up for renegotiation every few years). They own it and can charge whatever they want.
Whether Directv is losing customers or the Sunday Ticket broadcast can be illegally snagged is completely unrelated. If it’s too expensive then tough. This is an entertainment option not something that is required. 

Well aren’t you a buzkill 😜

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Well aren’t you a buzkill 😜

As others have mentioned upstream, I wish streaming were a regular option or there was granular purchasing of just your team’s games. But that is not available.

People can B word & moan about this being unfair and justify appropriating the broadcast for free because ‘these companies are making enough money’ but, fundamentally, that is stealing.
Fortunately, I am able to afford Sunday Ticket. I hope eventually there are other options so more  out-of-market people can watch their team for a reasonable price.

59 minutes ago, Mr Info said:

As others have mentioned upstream, I wish streaming were a regular option or there was granular purchasing of just your team’s games. But that is not available.

People can B word & moan about this being unfair and justify appropriating the broadcast for free because ‘these companies are making enough money’ but, fundamentally, that is stealing.
Fortunately, I am able to afford Sunday Ticket. I hope eventually there are other options so more  out-of-market people can watch their team for a reasonable price.

The thing that drives me mad is that they offer a streaming option, and do so if you are a college student or live in an area that they deem unworthy of their marketing efforts for Directv. I found myself saying multiple times, "it shouldn't be so difficult to watch these games." I was willing to pay the $300 or whatever, I was not willing to sign up for Directv with a 2 year commitment. 

It appears courts will have an opportunity to decide how unfair their practices are.  

Edited by CBD

2 hours ago, Mr Info said:

I am not griping at all- just having a little fun. However people decide to watch or not watch is on them.