Dan Shaunnessy: For Patriots, Bills means it’s over: the division, the path to playoffs, and the dynasty

YoloinOhio

For Patriots, Bills loss means it’s over: the division, the path to playoffs, and the dynasty
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/11/01/sports/patriots-this-loss-means-its-over-division-path-playoffs-dynasty/

sweet, sweet words

We have flat-lined this dynasty many times before today. We have announced that it is over for Bill Belichick and the Patriots. And we have been premature. Wronger than wrong.

This time it’s an easy call. There is no coming back from this one. A guy named Zimmer (DeForest Buckner was occupied at a game in Detroit) punched the ball out of Cam Newton’s hands in Orchard Park, N.Y., sealing a 24-21 Bills win and drawing the curtain on a 19-year run that included 17 playoff appearances, nine Super Bowls, and six Lombardi Trophies.

The Patriots are not very good this year, but until now, they still had a chance. They still had a path to the playoffs. A win against the Bills Sunday would have enabled them to pull to within 1½ games of Buffalo with nine to play. A win against the Jets next Monday would have made New England 4-4 and positioned the Pats to win the AFC East for the 12th straight season.

But all that is gone now. The Bills handed the Patriots a 2-5 record and four straight losses for the first time since Belichick arrived at the beginning of the first year of the 21st century. The Bills are clear front-runners to win the Warhol for the first time since 1995. It’s good times for the Bills Mafia at Bada Bing.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The Patriots are not very good this year, but until now, they still had a chance. They still had a path to the playoffs. A win against the Bills Sunday would have enabled them to pull to within 1½ games of Buffalo with nine to play. A win against the Jets next Monday would have made New England 4-4 and positioned the Pats to win the AFC East for the 12th straight season.

But all that is gone now. The Bills handed the Patriots a 2-5 record and four straight losses for the first time since Belichick arrived at the beginning of the first year of the 21st century. The Bills are clear front-runners to win the Warhol for the first time since 1995. It’s good times for the Bills Mafia at Bada Bing.

This made me laugh........altho I still respect the Cheatriots to some degree......it does rather seem like the tide is turning.  I was not 110% certain of that win....all hail Mr. Zimmer!!

Go Bills

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

For Patriots, Bills loss means it’s over: the division, the path to playoffs, and the dynasty
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/11/01/sports/patriots-this-loss-means-its-over-division-path-playoffs-dynasty/

sweet, sweet words

I read in another thread here that the road to playoffs goes through Miami.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

I read in another thread here that the road to playoffs goes through Miami.

You have consider the ACTUAL IQ, versus the proclaimed IQ of the source. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Even though the poster apparently has a high IQ?

I’m changing my screen name to, “Even higher football IQ”

what do you all think of that 😂

My opinion will reign supreme! 

Is this thing on, cause it’s gonna be, the war of screen name  escalation has begun 😁

nuthin but luv y’all 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

The only bad thing about the Pats losing is they might be in line to get Justin Fields. They won't get into the Lawrence sweepstakes but Fields is possible. Who do we want to win next weeks Pats-Jets game. On one hand NE winning gives them a 3rd win and maybe they miss out on one of the top QB's in the draft. But the Jets winning could hurt their chances to select Lawrence. The Jaguars are terrible and a serious threat to the Jets for the #1 pick if the Jets can win a game.

3 minutes ago, Greg S said:

The only bad thing about the Pats losing is they might be in line to get Justin Fields. They won't get into the Lawrence sweepstakes but Fields is possible. Who do we want to win next weeks Pats-Jets game. On one hand NE winning gives them a 3rd win and maybe they miss out on one of the top QB's in the draft. But the Jets winning could hurt their chances to select Lawrence. The Jaguars are terrible and a serious threat to the Jets for the #1 pick if the Jets can win a game.

I don’t think they will lose enough games to get fields unless they trade up. I have a feeling fields ends up in Atlanta. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the pats trade for Matt Ryan. Belichick doesn’t seem like the type who really wants to “start over” at QB. Plus ryan went to BC, seems like a match made in heaven for him possibly. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t think they will lose enough games to get fields unless they trade up. I have a feeling fields ends up in Atlanta. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the pats trade for Matt Ryan. Belichick doesn’t seem like the type who really wants to “start over” at QB. Plus ryan went to BC, seems like a match made in heaven for him possibly. 

Matt Ryan in New England would be very interesting. I can't imagine him being particularly successful without the receivers that he has in Atlanta but had never thought about the Boston College connection.

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBobs said:

Matt Ryan in New England would be very interesting. I can't imagine him being particularly successful without the receivers that he has in Atlanta but had never thought about the Boston College connection.

I would think that bill would add at least 1 WR in FA and draft 1 high. They have a ton of cap space. I also could see him taking that freak TE from Florida, Kyle Pitts.(and maybe do more of a background check this time around)

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Brady was the dynasty just look at Belichick's record before Brady and there's your answer

I'd disagree that it's quite as simple as that. Without Belichick, Brady doesn't win five SBs.

But yeah, I've always thought Brady was more of the reason they were as good as they were. Both were needed, but Brady was a bigger part of it.

Just now, Thurman#1 said:

I'd disagree that it's quite as simple as that. Without Belichick, Brady doesn't win five SBs.

But yeah, I've always thought Brady was more of the reason they were as good as they were. Both were needed, but Brady was a bigger part of it.

I think if you look at his good Tampa has been this year and how bad the pats have been, it tells a lot of that story. Brady has completely elevated that team to a SB contender. 

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- It rained here all morning, snowed as night fell, and in between, the Patriots' 2020 season turned to mud and slid into nearby Lake Erie.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/ne/new-england-patriots

Buffalo, Seahawks, @Cardinals, Chargers, @49ers, Steelers, @Broncos, @Patriots, Dolphins. Five teams with winning records. 6-2

Dolphins remaining games-Cardinals, Chargers, Broncos, NY Jets, Bengals, Chiefs, Patriots, Raiders, Bills.  Four teams with winning records. 4-3

Patriots remaining games at 2-5 - NY Jets, Ravens, Texans, Cardinals, Chargers, Rams, Dolphins, Bills, NY Jets. Six teams with winning records. 2-5

Gonna be interesting...for Buffalo and Miami.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Greg S said:

The Bills all but eliminating the Pats******************** reign of terror is wonderful and well deserved for the Bills.

The Jets getting their first win (and maybe Gase's last ever win) to embarrass the Pats********** as a final FU to Belicheck for resigning as their HC after a day, would be the ultimate cherry on top. Especially on MNF

Just now, Captain Hindsight said:

The Bills all but eliminating the Pats******************** reign of terror is wonderful and well deserved for the Bills.

The Jets getting their first win (and maybe Gase's last ever win) to embarrass the Pats********** as a final FU to Belicheck for resigning as their HC after a day, would be the ultimate cherry on top. Especially on MNF

As an added a bonus a Jets win could hurt their chances in Lawrence sweepstakes.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

sweet, sweet words

This guy (the Boston writer) is a tool. He is trying get people all upset so they read his article. The Truth is any fan with a half of a brain considered this year and probably next year with hopefully a good young QB as rebuild years then the empire strikes back.

I mean what reasonable person thought a team who had 6 starters opt out of the year and also losses the GOAT in Brady thinks it’s business as usual? 

I am just glad it is Buffalo and not the annoying Miami fans (I swear I hear about their undefeated season one more time.) or Jets fans (they still think Namath is GOAT).  Bills fans have earned it after a long tough stretch so enjoy it.  The empire will return lol. 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I’m changing my screen name to, “Even higher football IQ”

what do you all think of that 😂

My opinion will reign supreme! 

Is this thing on, cause it’s gonna be, the war of screen name  escalation has begun 😁

nuthin but luv y’all 

Go Bills!!!

"High Level Meeting Attender" would also be a good screen name

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Really? You do know that put the Patriots in the drivers seat to get Lawrence right?  BB could just “barely” lose every game for the rest of the season and BAM #1 pick.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

sweet, sweet words

I think he must be the Boston Globe version of "Chicken Little"

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- It rained here all morning, snowed as night fell, and in between, the Patriots' 2020 season turned to mud and slid into nearby Lake Erie.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/ne/new-england-patriots

Buffalo, Seahawks, @Cardinals, Chargers, @49ers, Steelers, @Broncos, @Patriots, Dolphins. Five teams with winning records. 6-2

Dolphins remaining games-Cardinals, Chargers, Broncos, NY Jets, Bengals, Chiefs, Patriots, Raiders, Bills.  Four teams with winning records. 4-3

Patriots remaining games at 2-5 - NY Jets, Ravens, Texans, Cardinals, Chargers, Rams, Dolphins, Bills, NY Jets. Six teams with winning records. 2-5

Gonna be interesting...for Buffalo and Miami.

I wouldn’t look at that bengals game as a gimme for Miami, at. All.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, PatsFanNH said:

This guy (the Boston writer) is a tool. He is trying get people all upset so they read his article. The Truth is any fan with a half of a brain considered this year and probably next year with hopefully a good young QB as rebuild years then the empire strikes back.

I mean what reasonable person thought a team who had 6 starters opt out of the year and also losses the GOAT in Brady thinks it’s business as usual? 

I am just glad it is Buffalo and not the annoying Miami fans (I swear I hear about their undefeated season one more time.) or Jets fans (they still think Namath is GOAT).  Bills fans have earned it after a long tough stretch so enjoy it.  The empire will return lol

i mean.... we're talking about pats fans right? 

it'll try, but it'll never be what it was. Therefore it'll be plenty beatable.

2 minutes ago, stevewin said:

"High Level Meeting Attender" would also be a good screen name

Do it!!! 😂

17 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

If Brady wins a SB or even goes to the SB in Tampa Bay, that should put that narrative to bed. It would be impressive to be on a new team, new coach, completely new scheme without any preseason/camp and go to the super bowl.

1 minute ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

If Brady wins a SB or even goes to the SB in Tampa Bay, that should put that narrative to bed. It would be impressive to be on a new team, new coach, completely new scheme without any preseason/camp and go to the super bowl.

i mean.... Arians is a very good HC and he stepped into a team that was completely loaded on both sides of the ball.

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

i mean.... Arians is a very good HC and he stepped into a team that was completely loaded on both sides of the ball.

I am not arguing Bellicheck isn't a good coach, but the dynasty was mainly because of Brady, lets be real. It was like 70% brady 30% coaching.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Really? You do know that put the Patriots in the drivers seat to get Lawrence right?  BB could just “barely” lose every game for the rest of the season and BAM #1 pick.

No way are the Jets winning more than 2 games. 

15 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I am just glad it is Buffalo and not the annoying Miami fans (I swear I hear about their undefeated season one more time.) or Jets fans (they still think Namath is GOAT).  Bills fans have earned it after a long tough stretch so enjoy it.  The empire will return lol. 

I don’t know what “fans With half a brain” thought, but stuff like this was everywhere over the summer:

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

I am not arguing Bellicheck isn't a good coach, but the dynasty was mainly because of Brady, lets be real. It was like 70% brady 30% coaching.

This appears to be more and the more the case. Lots of good coaches in the NFL and no doubt BB is a great one, but lots of HC would look great with Brady

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t know what “fans With half a brain” thought, but stuff like this was everywhere over the summer:

And before that Stidham was declared the best QB in the AFCE with this impressive stat line

2/4 14 yards and 1 INT, 1 sack

27 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Cam looked good for 3 games, then COVID happened and well it’s like his body aged 20 years in a week.  I personally expected a down year, I wanted Stidham to start. (I said so here before Brady officially left I expected Stidham be our QB this year) maybe it’s because I’ve been around football long enough to see the end when it happens. (Shrug) 

oh and if the Pats lose out they would pick before the Jets since the Jets would have beaten them twice. 

Edited by PatsFanNH

11 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Cam looked good for 3 games, then COVID happened and well it’s like his body aged 20 years in a week.  I personally expected a down year, I wanted Stidham to start. (I said so here before Brady officially left I expected Stidham be our QB this year) maybe it’s because I’ve been around football long enough to see the end when it happens. (Shrug) 

oh and if the Pats lose out they would pick before the Jets since the Jets would have beaten them twice. 

To me it made sense too. Imo that was the plan initially. That’s why Belichick didn’t sign cam until July. You don’t go all the way into July and then decide oh, I still need a starting QB let me sign one. No, they planned for stidham and cam was sitting there and he signed him for nothing because he didn’t know what he had in stidham and thought why not maybe my team will be decent and Cam can still play.... Then came the predictable “Belichick is playing chess and everyone else is laying checkers, what a genius, he got cam for noting and everyone else is just obviously stupid . In reality, not everyone else is just stupid. No, Bill is not smarter than everyone this time. There was a reason he was cut. A reason he sat on the market. A reason he could be signed for no money. It wasn’t because of Covid, he was asymptomatic. it’s that that he’s just not that good anymore and other teams knew that. Bill may have known that too, I don’t fault him for trying. But the victory lap that the media took when he signed him was always something I thought was driven by bills reputation more than cam‘s potential at this point in his career. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Dan is a fool...this whole philosophy people have makes no sense to me. They  have lost the division before. If this was year four and all this was happening (losing record and all) cool would make sense...but this is just year one where except for the 9ers game they have been in every one of their games and could of easily won yesterdays game, chiefs game and seahawks game....Year one and some teams have barely escape them like people need to chill. (radio here has been insufferable) 

Edited by Ghost_002!

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

To me it made sense too. Imo that was the plan initially. That’s why Belichick didn’t sign cam until July. You don’t go all the way into July and then decide oh, I still need a starting QB let me sign one. No, they planned for stidham and cam was sitting there and he signed him for nothing because he didn’t know what he had in stidham and thought why not maybe my team will be decent and Cam can still play.... Then came the predictable “Belichick is playing chess and everyone else is laying checkers, what a genius, he got cam for noting and everyone else is just obviously stupid . In reality, not everyone else is just stupid. No, Bill is not smarter than everyone this time. There was a reason he was cut. A reason he sat on the market. A reason he could be signed for no money. It wasn’t because of Covid, he was asymptomatic. it’s that that he’s just not that good anymore and other teams knew that. Bill may have known that too, I don’t fault him for trying. But the victory lap that the media took when he signed him was always something I thought was driven by bills reputation more than cam‘s potential at this point in his career. 

The media blows everything BB does out of proportion. He saw Cam Newton, a former MVP, out there who was willing to sign for practically nothing.  I mentioned COVID because before it he played amazing! Even in the one loss it wasn’t because of him but rather Wilson being Wilson.. he looked sharp and more importantly he made decisions quickly.  You saw yesterday how indecisive he was, that drove me crazy the last few weeks. I was yelling at the TV “throw the damn ball already”  then made it worse by watching all the games broken down and being shown ALL the open WR he didn’t see. 

but hey I know my team had an amazing run! I’m glad Buffalo took the mantle and hopefully make some noise in the playoffs.  The empire be back, we may not have the Goat but we may have a mini goat lol.