Can we get Ray Lewis to teach Tremaine Edmunds how to play football.

Protocal69

For the eight trillionth time, Edmunds is recovering from an injury, he's performing in a misfunctioning defense that mostly isn't providing him with what the coach feels an MLB in his defense needs (namely a very good space eater in front of him and to be surrounded by gap-solid responsible players) and in particular having Milano active next to him.

He was very good in 2019, which is why he made the Pro Bowl. 

He does appear to be making some mistakes but an awful lot of it is because of the injury and because the whole system isn't functioning well.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

good boys make better football players 🥶

Yup, you're right, plenty of 'em do. 

Bobby Wagner has tremendously high character. Darius Leonard. Luke Kuechly. Milano. Plenty of others.

Edited by Thurman#1

7 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

I just think he needs help out there. He plays better when Milano is on the field.

He really misses Lorax. Lorax had seen it all and I think Edmunds and Milano both played better with Lorax on the field. Klein does not bring the same strengths to the LB room. I think what happens off the field has as much impact as what goes on on the field and Lorax was the clear leader in the LB room. 

I’ll never understand those that feel the need to make excuses for players poor performance. Yes, he’s supposedly injured. We get it! That doesn’t mean his play doesn’t deserve criticism. Edmunds has been nothing short of terrible all year. Does it make him a bad person? Nope. It just makes him a BAD middle linebacker....right now.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, ILBillsfan said:

Good break down vs the Jets

Players are not doing they're jobs, easy to see live on games. Multiple players in the same gap. Players losing contained. I'm not sure if it's just a player issue. Our new DL coach is a veteran coach and this is unacceptable. Mental errors shouldn't keep happening with a veteran DL and coach. 

There was also one play he talked about wanting Edmunds to play physical in the gap. IMO his shoulder prevents him from taking on OL like that. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’ll never understand those that feel the need to make excuses for players poor performance. Yes, he’s supposedly injured. We get it! That doesn’t mean his play doesn’t deserve criticism. Edmunds has been nothing short of terrible all year. Does it make him a bad person? Nope. It just makes him a BAD middle linebacker....right now.

No, it makes it a reasonable opinion that he's playing badly right now.

It's just as reasonable to say that even a different guy playing under the circumstances Edmunds is experiencing right now, even if he was playing well, might not be producing good results.

Again, was Ray Lewis inefficient in the two or three years after Siragusa left and before Ngata arrived? Most people thought so at the time. After 7 or 8 terrific years he appeared to have started downhill. Weirdly, when they put Ngata in front of him, he suddenly looked sensational again. What a coincidence!!!! But during those wilderness years, when some people said, "He just misses a good space eater," others said things like, "I'll never understand those that feel the need to make excuses for players poor performance."

Most felt Lewis had become "a BAD middle linebacker ... right then." Turned out - who'da thought it? - that how things are going around you affects how well you can perform in a complex system.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

I’m probably in the minority here but I always felt Ray Lewis was over rated. He had Sam Adams, Siragusa and a few other massive space eaters to be able to fly around freely... plus Ed Reed covering the back end. He was a great player but over rated as far as the way he’s perceived.... plus he stabbed a dude...so

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Many (most?) folks here defend all current Bills players to the hilt, but then make jokes about them when they are no longer on the team.

I don't understand it either, but that's how it seems to work.

10 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I doubt his poor instincts improve once the shoulder heals. They either slide him outside or prepare to let him walk. 

I do think his shoulder injury is hurting his game, but I agree that’s not all of his issues.  He seems great at his first read, but any subsequent change seems to do him in.  Teams have done well against him with counters and cutbacks.  He’s also prone to overrunning plays in kind of the same way.

6 minutes ago, BillsToast said:

A shoulder injury doesn't make you run the wrong way. 

Dude just does not have the “it” factor to play the position or lead the defense...I would try to trade him for a 2nd round pick and draft a real MLB...I want physical LB’s and Edmunds is too soft...enough experimenting with trying to fit a square peg into a round hole...

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 4