Can we get Ray Lewis to teach Tremaine Edmunds how to play football.

Protocal69

Aside from relaying the calls to the personnel on the field, id love for some of the defensive ‘experts’ to explain the differences in responsibility between the two linebackers in this predominantly Nickel (which means only two linebacker) defense. And why Tremaine should play the other spot. 

thanks I will hang up and listen. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

At 6’5” it’s always a surprise to me when I see Edmunds get caught moving into “no man’s land”, losing gap integrity & allowing backs to cut back into the hole he vacated. This is why we often see a desperate Edmunds arm tackle attempt from behind.

If the kid learned to be more patient and disciplined he could make a late break towards the runner and use his shear force to knock a runner down, even if he didn’t hit squarely hit the runner. Is this a coaching issue, or more on the player?

3 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Exactly...we need a man of honor in here to teach him.. Luke Kuechly!!! No better way to teach him than by showing him on the field

You cannot teach someone football instincts and especially if they dont possess it. Comes with having a strong understanding of schemes and football intelligence.

Edited by Cubanmist

4 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Dude just does not have the “it” factor to play the position or lead the defense...I would try to trade him for a 2nd round pick and draft a real MLB...I want physical LB’s and Edmunds is too soft...enough experimenting with trying to fit a square peg into a round hole...

I'd be shocked if we could get a 2nd round pick for him, but would be in favor of this plan if we can find a partner.

Beane, get 'er done! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/30/2020 at 5:36 PM, Azucho98 said:

They will try to run it all day - have to stop it...somehow.

This is probably true.  But Bill sometimes surprises.  If he see the Bills loading the box, he might just let Cam throw the ball downfield - wind, rain, and all.   

Its not like our secondary or pass rush have been good this year.

11 hours ago, Codyny13 said:

Good watch, reminds me of myself talkin to my mother about football.

I know right? “If RB is  7-9 yards deep it’s a run....”

how do you know Ray? “It’s a run, see the film?”

wow ray. 

Brandon then forgot to ask how he knew it wasn’t a play action pass that they run out of the same exact formation.

“its about paying attention to 3 things, trust, communication and do your job”

😂 😂 

Edmunds was good enough to make the Pro Bowl last year.   y was that?   was it him,  the guys around him?.     yes this year hes playing terrible,  but lets hold on a sec here.   calling for him to be shipped out,  seems a bit premature.   hes been hurt since game 2 of the season.    shoulder i believe.     it may be more of a problem than we know,  and he may only be out there to call the defense because lets be honest,  there isnt anybody else at the LB position to do that currently.

Edited by bigduke6

On 10/31/2020 at 4:10 AM, Thurman#1 said:

For the eight trillionth time, Edmunds is recovering from an injury, he's performing in a misfunctioning defense that mostly isn't providing him with what the coach feels an MLB in his defense needs (namely a very good space eater in front of him and to be surrounded by gap-solid responsible players) and in particular having Milano active next to him.

He was very good in 2019, which is why he made the Pro Bowl. 

He does appear to be making some mistakes but an awful lot of it is because of the injury and because the whole system isn't functioning well.

For the eight trillionth time, Edmunds is recovering from an injury, he's performing in a misfunctioning defense that mostly isn't providing him with what the coach feels an MLB in his defense needs (namely a very good space eater in front of him and to be surrounded by gap-solid responsible players) and in particular having Milano active next to him.

He was very good in 2019, which is why he made the Pro Bowl. 

He does appear to be making some mistakes but an awful lot of it is because of the injury and because the whole system isn't functioning well.

OH!  So saying it twice means he's not a bust?  doesn't have poor instincts?  and never makes impact plays?  I get it now.  Thank goodness you said it twice!

Also, I never knew that a shoulder injury makes you completely forget how to play football!  Thank goodness you said it twice!

He made the pro bowl as a replacement, BTW . . . He was "OK" last year . . . certainly not a difference maker.

10 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

This is probably true.  But Bill sometimes surprises.  If he see the Bills loading the box, he might just let Cam throw the ball downfield - wind, rain, and all.   

Its not like our secondary or pass rush have been good this year.

Secondary and pass rush haven't been great, but they have been better than the D-line. 

20 hours ago, Philly McButterpants said:

OH!  So saying it twice means he's not a bust?  doesn't have poor instincts?  and never makes impact plays?  I get it now.  Thank goodness you said it twice!

Also, I never knew that a shoulder injury makes you completely forget how to play football!  Thank goodness you said it twice!

He made the pro bowl as a replacement, BTW . . . He was "OK" last year . . . certainly not a difference maker.

No, it isn't me saying it once twice or a million times that means he's not a bust. What I'm doing, not for the second time but for what feels like the eight billionth time, is pointing out the obvious things that show he's not a bust. 

It's stuff like him making the Pro Bowl last year. That's one of the many things that mean he's not a bust. And yeah, he was the first replacement, which means top three IL in the AFC. That's not "OK." That's very very good.

Guys who "have poor instincts," and "never make impact plays" don't go to the Pro Bowl as first replacements or for that matter at all. Both those statements are wild exaggerations. 

The Jets game video posted above points it out thoughtfully. He does seem to have regressed a bit. But beyond the problems his injury has caused, quite a bit of that is actually the fact that the system just isn't functioning as well this year. Lotulelei's absence is a big part of that but not all of it. There are problems with run fits. 

I do thank you for pointing out the double print, though. Lately about half the time I hit "save" everything freezes forever and I end up copying what I wrote, hitting "save" again, and skipping to the last page. Sometimes when I get there there's nothing and I'm glad I copied it so I can easily replace the post. Sometimes it's just fine. And sometimes it's a doubled print and I have to edit one of them out. It's frustrating and as long as it goes on I'll probably double-print once in a while. I went back now and edited it out.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

On 11/1/2020 at 1:48 AM, Teddy KGB said:

Ok, now do the other list 😉

I'll leave that for you. You're the one making the unequivocal claim, not me. Notice I didn't say, "all of them do," just that "plenty of them do."

It's not so much your post I reacted to, I guess, as the commonly expressed feeling on here that good people can't be tough enough for football. Which is obvious nonsense but many seem to believe it. People talk about boy scouts, but there are a ton of terrific people who play football extremely well. My list was just the first few high-character ILBs I thought of.

But it's true at every position. Look at Kyle Williams. Go back and look at some of my old favorites like Merlin Olsen or Reggie White (who was wacky but a good guy with character). Look at Ronnie Lott, especially his pinkie finger.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1