JJ Watt Trade Block?

3 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

If the Bills are making a big splash I would target Yannick from Minny. JJ Watt is toast, the Bills need younger or prime talent not an overpaid once great player. Give up a 2nd rounder and a 6th rounder and Murphy (as salary filler) and see if Minny bites. Yannick would greatly impact the pass rush and set the edge. Another name to keep an eye on for a more modest trade would be Dalvin Tomlinson. He is a DT from the Giants who is on the last year of his rookie deal. He is a big run stuffer (6 foot 3 320 pounds) very effective but the Giants might not have him in their long term plans with Leonard Williams and Dexter Lawrence being heavy investments at the position. 

I would float a 4th round pick for Tomlinson, he shouldn't impact the cap much and could be just what the middle of the defense needs at the right price both in terms of the cap and in terms of the draft capital needed to acquire him. 

Why on earth would Minnesota even consider that deal? Just because they’re losing? 
They traded a 2 and conditional 5 for yannick and he’s delivered for them, They don’t have the same cap problems next year they had this year. 

6 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Why on earth would Minnesota even consider that deal? Just because they’re losing? 
They traded a 2 and conditional 5 for yannick and he’s delivered for them, They don’t have the same cap problems next year they had this year. 

Minny could always sign Yannick back and recoup the draft capital they invested in him. I agree that's unlikely to happen but if Yannick wants out due to Minny losing that could be the variable that puts him out on the market. I think a trade for Delvin Tomlinson is much better and would at least patch up the run defense. Tomlinson would make sense for the Bills cap wise and cost only a mid round pick. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

Minny could always sign Yannick back and recoup the draft capital they invested in him. I agree that's unlikely to happen but if Yannick wants out due to Minny losing that could be the variable that puts him out on the market. I think a trade for Delvin Tomlinson is much better and would at least patch up the run defense. Tomlinson would make sense for the Bills cap wise and cost only a mid round pick. 

I don’t have an opinion on Tomlinson I haven’t paid any attention to him. So you guys could 100% be spot on. 
The Yannick deal however would never fly. 
He can’t possibly play 5 games or whatever there and want out after the scene he just caused in Jacksonville. He might price himself out of Minnesota with how well he’s played so far, but it wouldn’t make sense for them to trade him UNLESS they were getting a monster return. To even discuss this with Minnesota you’d probably have to start with a 1st rounder. That’s just simple business and return on your investment. 

Just now, Rc2catch said:

I don’t have an opinion on Tomlinson I haven’t paid any attention to him. So you guys could 100% be spot on. 
The Yannick deal however would never fly. 
He can’t possibly play 5 games or whatever there and want out after the scene he just caused in Jacksonville. He might price himself out of Minnesota with how well he’s played so far, but it wouldn’t make sense for them to trade him UNLESS they were getting a monster return. To even discuss this with Minnesota you’d probably have to start with a 1st rounder. That’s just simple business and return on your investment. 

I don't see Yannick happening but if the Vikings continue to lose and Yannick indicates he might not resign, maybe Minny tries to recoup that 2nd rounder? It's unlikely but not impossible. From what I have read on Tomlinson he is a good run stuffer, not a zero in the pass rush department but more of a hold the middle type guy. Former 2nd round pick in 2017 just has been a fairly effective player on a bunch of bad teams. 

I think Tomlinson fits this teams needs on so many levels and would greatly help the run defense. He would keep players off Edumonds and limit the big gains up the middle. I also think longer term he might be more than a rental. I would love to see the team when Star gets back have a rotation of Tomlinson and Star as the grinder big body types, Ed Oliver and Jefferson as the penetrators with Harry competing for his job in the rotation. 

First off, I would not worry about the cap: teams find a way if they want to. 

Secondly, I’d welcome him with open arms so long as it’s for very little draft capital. He is a generational talent when he’s healthy but he only has so much left in the tank. 

To sum it up: won’t happen. 

Edited by TroutDog

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Ah yes.  To the man that can always find a camera, JJ Watt says he want to bring a championship to Houston and that remains his goal.

His comments are going to start phones ringing off the hook on Kirby Drive.  JJ Watt is 31 years old and the prospects of the Texans winning a championship[ this year are unbelievably low with a 1-5 record.  The Texans future has largely been demolished with three potential superstars careers being wasted to date, De Andre Hopkins, Deshaun Watson and Watt. Only Hopkins has gotten away with one of the most epically bad trades in NFL history.  The future for the Texans is not bright at all, the football "guru" Bill O 'Brien traded away both first two picks in 2021 so the Texans 2020 demise accrues to the Dolphins.  And I also believe the Mcnair ownership legacy has been a failure.  The odds of the Texans puilling out of their tail spin are likely far beyond the playing horizon of Watt. 

The desperate need for quality D Line play in Buffalo is obvious and Watt might be convinced with him, his leadership and his ego, the Bills could go deep in the playoffs.  I dont disagree but I also dont want JJ here for what it would cost.

Watt is in a demi-God status in Houston.  The Houston fan base remains enraged over the Hopkins trade and trading away the face of the franchise will be very costly, must likely to a team like the Bills, the Texans would demand a #1 at least.  To me that is too high for his remaining productivity and his recent injury history.  Would it be worth if it it got us to the Super Bowl, much less win one, I would say absolutely but I dont like the risk/reward.

The man has a 2020 cap hit of $15.5M salary.  We have $4.8M of free cap. 

Hard to see a match there.

1 hour ago, ILBillsfan said:

I do not thinking anyone is trading for Murphy as releasing still keeps the Bilsl on the hooks for his salary thus not much room

FWIW OTC shows $2.25M dead money and a $7.5M cap savings if Murphy is cut.

Unclear what his contract language says as far as guarantees/incentives

It's still not enough to afford JJ Watt

6 minutes ago, TN Bills Fan said:

Cut Trent Murphy (7.5 million saved on cap), Quentin Jefferson ( 4.75 million saved on the cap), and Ty Nsehke (3.2 milllion saved on the cap).  That gets you 15 million for J.J. Watt's Salary.   Make it happen.  

That would be worth it. We need to find a difference maker or 2 on defense. We need that run stuffing DT. An LB who can attack anywhere on the field and a DE who can get sacks (no pressures) and contain on the edge.

The time for us to retool our roster was during the offseason. We as fans would love for us to fix some of the areas that need improving, but these issues should've been looked at prior to the season starting & for some reason weren't. Star opting out couldn't have been foreseen, EJ Gaines too for that matter. But they had to know injuries would be an issue & that our depth was lacking at LB & DB & that we needed a big guy on the line to eat up space.

I've been a Murphy hater since day 1, we could've chosen to go another direction & used that cap space on someone else.

Trying to make a trade now to bring someone in will result in an overpayment if it can even be done at all. And then theres the time it takes to get him up to speed & all that.

JJ Watt btw i wouldn't want to bring in. His body is done & his salary is too high. If we could get him for cheap with Houston retaining salary, i suppose he'd be an upgrade over what we have now, but only due to how bad we're playing. We need a few players brought in at this point

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Ah yes.  To the man that can always find a camera, JJ Watt says he want to bring a championship to Houston and that remains his goal.

His comments are going to start phones ringing off the hook on Kirby Drive.  JJ Watt is 31 years old and the prospects of the Texans winning a championship[ this year are unbelievably low with a 1-5 record.  The Texans future has largely been demolished with three potential superstars careers being wasted to date, De Andre Hopkins, Deshaun Watson and Watt. Only Hopkins has gotten away with one of the most epically bad trades in NFL history.  The future for the Texans is not bright at all, the football "guru" Bill O 'Brien traded away both first two picks in 2021 so the Texans 2020 demise accrues to the Dolphins.  And I also believe the Mcnair ownership legacy has been a failure.  The odds of the Texans puilling out of their tail spin are likely far beyond the playing horizon of Watt. 

The desperate need for quality D Line play in Buffalo is obvious and Watt might be convinced with him, his leadership and his ego, the Bills could go deep in the playoffs.  I dont disagree but I also dont want JJ here for what it would cost.

Watt is in a demi-God status in Houston.  The Houston fan base remains enraged over the Hopkins trade and trading away the face of the franchise will be very costly, must likely to a team like the Bills, the Texans would demand a #1 at least.  To me that is too high for his remaining productivity and his recent injury history.  Would it be worth if it it got us to the Super Bowl, much less win one, I would say absolutely but I dont like the risk/reward.

Oh dear God please let us get a Watt in here on Defense ASAP... :worthy:

Edited by Sherlock Holmes
  • Haha (+1) 1