Per PFT - Multiple coaches want to cancel all games tomorrow, put a pause on season 😢

Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please keep discussion in this thread narrowly focused on football and directly football-related issues.

Two Bills Drive no longer finds it appropriate to engage in COVID-19 discussion in our main discussion areas. We are a Buffalo Bills fan community and we exist to serve fans of the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Please use other communities and venues to discuss heath-related topics including COVID-19. 

Information about COVID-19 is available from many globally respected sources including:

Uptodate     |  British Medical Journal Best Practice   |      COVIPENDIUM    |    Our world in Data

The pinned topic: COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic, located on the Off the Wall subforum, is also a resource.   Should these not meet your needs, many other sources of information (of varied accuracy) exist.

Thank you!

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

Better than the chances of the Raiders players following league policies and local regs on Covid-19 IMO.   I think McDermott always runs a tight ship, and with what's happened this week in Nashville and NE, I think that everyone on the Bills -- administrators, coaches, players, and support staff -- will be diligent about taking precautions even in Vegas.

McDermott talked about that on WGR.  The Protocol on trips is pretty defined.  The flight lands - players go to the hotel and are bubbled - they are not allowed to leave the hotel until they travel to the game.

I think most teams are following protocol pretty intensely.

McDermott said it is actually easier on the road as players are more used to that when teams travel.  There are more freedoms at home.

• Like (+1) 1

I do NOT support shortening the season in games. 

However, the NFL should use this as an opportunity. Imagine if there were football games on more than just Thursday, Sunday, and Monday?! I know the issues with that — but, if the NFL can figure out how to add another prime time night of football that’d be cool. 

2 minutes ago, Dragoon said:

However, the NFL should use this as an opportunity. Imagine if there were football games on more than just Thursday, Sunday, and Monday?! I know the issues with that — but, if the NFL can figure out how to add another prime time night of football that’d be cool. 

Its absolutely not an option...shortening the season.  That isn't happening 

PFT is a great news website.  But when they are conjuring up a story out of thin air...it is usually pretty noticeable.  

They will think of a story first (usually a florio post), and then find sources to run that story.  Not the other way around like it should be.

Lengthen the season by putting in more "byes"across all teams schedules ....allowing makeup games to be played on bye weekends.  I suggest byes after week 4 week 8 week 12 and week 17.  Then a bubble for the playoffs.  NFL should have forseen this.....might have gotten better avoidance if folks were not paid while on the COVID list.  A lot of these folks think they can run through walls.....well, I guess some can!!

1 minute ago, Crayola64 said:

PFT is a great news website.  But when they are conjuring up a story out of thin air...it is usually pretty noticeable.  

They will think of a story first (usually a florio post), and then find sources to run that story.  Not the other way around like it should be.

Seems pretty easy:

Florio: "man, doesn't it feel like we should hit pause and see how to handle this going forward?"

Random Positioning coach nobody's ever heard of: "That might be what they have to do..."

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, whatdrought said:

Seems pretty easy:

Florio: "man, doesn't it feel like we should hit pause and see how to handle this going forward?"

Random Positioning coach nobody's ever heard of: "That might be what they have to do..."

Haha, right.  He does it all the time.  

1 hour ago, Penfield45 said:

The NFL is a 12+ billion dollar organization the fact they couldn't create a bubble environment and have teams go from hotel to team facilities and thats it is a joke. 

no way this season finishes on time. NFL will be postponed until Spring 2021  

Why does this keep getting stated.  The NFL wanted to bubble - the NFLPA refused to bubble for the season - it was to long and players from the NHL and NBA complained about it and the NFLPA was not going to deal with it.

The NFL will handle each situation and have contingency plans if needed.

I actually feel better about them finishing than I did before.

9 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Lengthen the season by putting in more "byes"across all teams schedules ....allowing makeup games to be played on bye weekends.  I suggest byes after week 4 week 8 week 12 and week 17.  Then a bubble for the playoffs.  NFL should have forseen this.....might have gotten better avoidance if folks were not paid while on the COVID list.  A lot of these folks think they can run through walls.....well, I guess some can!!

The NFL did foresee this - they have plans in place - including moving the Super Bowl back if needed - the plan starts with trying to cover the games as schedules as much as possible.

They will adjust as needed.

31 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

This was predictable and (so far) looks manageable.

The NBA and NHL situations aren't comparable given the bubbles. That wasn't feasible for the NFL, and still isn't.

MLB did go through 2 significant outbreaks - the Marlins, then the Cardinals. They shut down those teams, but because it's baseball (doubleheaders, etc.) even the worst hit, the Cards, managed to get in 58 games of the 60 games scheduled. Given the expanded playoffs they didn't need to play the last 2.

The NFL can't schedule doubleheaders or 2 games a week, so the options are limited. There's basically the bye week and the extra week before the Super Bowl to play with. So we're using up 1 with just 1 to go. If we use up the second week, I'd bet on a shortened season for the entire NFL. And that's not great, but a lot better than no season at all.

Do you think extending the season is a good possibility?  Maybe the Super Bowl in March and a bubble just for the playoffs?

5 hours ago, Estro said:

Mike Florio also has a penchant for cheering on and almost promoting worst case scenarios. Whenever it comes to potential roadblocks for the NFL whether it be legal, coronavirus, protests, liability issues, concussions.......Florio always seems to be rooting for or at the very least promoting chaos.  Maybe its the lawyer in him, but the man is always "glass half empty" pontificating on his daily show.  He could be hearing this but, damn, I hope this doesn't happen.

MLB (without a bubble)

NHL (bubble)

NBA (bubble)

Were all able to manage through their respective seasons without having to temporarily suspend the entire league.  With much more money on the table and just general importance to the nation's psyche I see no reason the NFL can't persevere through these uncharted waters.

Mike Florio  is like @ScottLaw - not only a half full guy but someone who uses a dribble glass.

41 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

This was predictable and (so far) looks manageable.

The NBA and NHL situations aren't comparable given the bubbles. That wasn't feasible for the NFL, and still isn't.

MLB did go through 2 significant outbreaks - the Marlins, then the Cardinals. They shut down those teams, but because it's baseball (doubleheaders, etc.) even the worst hit, the Cards, managed to get in 58 games of the 60 games scheduled. Given the expanded playoffs they didn't need to play the last 2.

The NFL can't schedule doubleheaders or 2 games a week, so the options are limited. There's basically the bye week and the extra week before the Super Bowl to play with. So we're using up 1 with just 1 to go. If we use up the second week, I'd bet on a shortened season for the entire NFL. And that's not great, but a lot better than no season at all.

You aren't playing the odds then.

The NFL isn't going to want to refund 1/4 of their tv money and the players.....with an average 3 season career span....... aren't going to want to take pay cuts.

The NFL has a 7  month offseason and "training period" and they can probably use as much as 5 months of that if necessary to complete their season..........they are much more likely to explore stretching out the season than leaving massive amounts of money on the table.

44 minutes ago, Dragoon said:

I'd be okay going back to 14 for a season. That, plus delaying the Super Bowl, would allow them to really build in some time for make-ups.

I love the MLB and I thought it would basically nullify the season to only have 60 games, but it's been a lot of fun and and playoffs still feel as crucial as ever.  And that was cutting the season in half.  Knocking a couple of games off the schedule wouldn't be so bad.

47 minutes ago, Dragoon said:

Well, it looked like we were going to get Tuesday Night Football this week (NE vs. KC) but if the season is re-structured after today, who knows how things will play out.

In my experience as a Bills fan since the 1970s, I would suggest that whatever happens, it will probably hurt the Bills in some fashion.

2 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

this will happen this week after these games today.    Best article I read was that this season will finish...with 2 21 day hiatus in the middle.  First is coming on Tuesday in my opinion. 

what is that supposed to accomplish?

1 team has more than 1 positive test