Cam Newton tests positive for Covid, OUT Sunday v Chiefs UPDATE: Game postponed

Process
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please tightly restrict conversation in this thread to football and football-relevant matters.

Two Bills Drive no longer finds it appropriate to engage in COVID-19 discussion in our main discussion areas. (This includes your opinion about the incubation/infectious period, interval before a positive test, and infection control measures the NFL should employ, and this means YOU.) We are a Buffalo Bills fan community and we exist to serve fans of the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Please use other communities and venues to discuss heath-related topics including COVID-19. 

Information about COVID-19 is available from many globally respected sources including:

Uptodate     |  British Medical Journal Best Practice   |      COVIPENDIUM    |    Our world in Data

The pinned topic: COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic, located on the Off the Wall subforum, is also a resource.   Should these not meet your needs, many other sources of information (of varied accuracy) exist.

Thank you!

Here’s an out of the box thought:

Move Bills/Titans from Sunday to the following Thursday, the same day the Bills were supposed to play the Chiefs.

Have the Chiefs/Pats game that same Thursday.

Have the Bills/Chiefs game made up at the end of the season if necessary.

Pats would have to play Sunday, Thursday, Sunday, but 1. Who cares? And 2. They would essentially get two bye weeks to make up for it.

Edited by Special K

5 minutes ago, Special K said:

Move Bills/Titans from Sunday to the following Thursday, the same day the Bills were supposed to play the Chiefs.

No.

I want to see the Bills and Chiefs play. I mean, who isn't looking forward to that game?

• Like (+1) 1

As a result of New England Patriots Quarterback Cam Newton being diagnosed with the COVID-19 virus and forced to miss at least one game, the NFL will award New England compensatory first round picks in 2021, 2022 and 2023.  In addition, all NFL players will wear black arm bands and all stadium flags will be lowered to half-mast until Newton is able to return to the field.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jrb1979 said:

I get that part. I wasn't talking about the scheduling I was more talking about players testing positive. MLB had issues at the beginning but have had no positive tests since. You would think they would do what MLB did. 

MLB teams have half as many players to keep healthy and much less physical contact.

12 minutes ago, Roger Goodell said:

As a result of New England Patriots Quarterback Cam Newton being diagnosed with the COVID-19 virus and forced to miss at least one game, the NFL will award New England compensatory first round picks in 2021, 2022 and 2023.  In addition, all NFL players will wear black arm bands and all stadium flags will be lowered to half-mast until Newton is able to return to the field.

I mean realistically this probably does get them better picks in the draft.

8 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

So do I play my Chiefs players in fantasy? Technically still on the week 4 slate but what if?! 

I wouldn’t but I’m not a risk taker. That said, I feel like we will know more tomorrow morning on that game’s status 

3 hours ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

Idk why they didn’t just set up 4 bubbles with two divisions each, have those 8 teams play, take a two week bye to shuffle teams between the bubbles, play 8 more games, then enter a playoff bubble.

How many infections in the NBA and NHL bubbles?

Gonna really suck to lose out on the best season of Bills football since...ever possibly

Because the NFLPA was against a bubble from the beginning.

The NFL asked about bubbling, but that was shot down.  

They will figure out how to move forward and most likely it will be fine.

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I wouldn’t but I’m not a risk taker. That said, I feel like we will know more tomorrow morning on that game’s status 

I kind of don’t have a choice at this point. I have Kelce and the Honey Badger (IDP) and Fant already played....

fingers crossed on this one!

(already got screwed this week on James Connor and Devin Bush)

48 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

image.thumb.png.59fcc153ba382e7f3be66b2497c60e08.png

Thanks for this map!

I just checked my cable system, and they are still showing the data for the NE vs. KC game, so obviously that has not been updated.

I was thinking I almost have to get the Bills game now, and the map seems to confirm.

Always better watching on TV than dealing with online stuff.

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Meh, if anything the Patriots dog like devotion to winning will likely make them adhere to these rules. there's no competitive edge found in shirking these...

My Question is, would the Patriots sit on a positive test report for a day or so to make sure they didn't have to play without their QB?... Hm. 

I do not believe the team gets the results alone.

The results go to the team and the NFL.  They are not hiding anything.

The tests are all being sent to national labs.  They also have quick tests available for follow-up.  The NFL is also having the lab do NP swabs and sensitive PCR to confirm.

It sounds like each positive is followed up with 2 additional tests to help confirm and make sure they are isolated properly.

ESPN says that Tuesday night is the more likely of the 2 proposed dates for the game now.

So this week we get all the usual games on Sunday, Monday Night Football, and potentially Tuesday Night Football....followed by the usual Thursday night game.

I'm not complaining, though without Newton the game won't be nearly as interesting. 

2 hours ago, Special K said:

Pats would have to play Sunday, Thursday, Sunday, but 1. Who cares? And 2. They would essentially get two bye weeks to make up for it.

Just say no to Thursday games!

27 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Somewhat unrelated, but a crazy story...

Virginia Tech got a win today with 21 players out.  They won their opener with 23 players out.  Sitting at 2-0.  

Reminds me of the time the Bills won the Superbowl with the prisoner who got shot in the Shawnshank Redemption as the quarterback. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This is so garbage.  I’m a huge Cam and respect him for battling back.  I also hate that Brady left.  I think we have a Bills team that was good enough to legit beat the Pats and this whole season is going to have a giant asterisk now.  

I will agree to disagree.  The W's will count no matter what.  And the ***Pats were looking like a dang good tough team to play against.  A win against a BB team at this point is a win.