Cam Newton tests positive for Covid, OUT Sunday v Chiefs UPDATE: Game postponed

Process
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please tightly restrict conversation in this thread to football and football-relevant matters.

Two Bills Drive no longer finds it appropriate to engage in COVID-19 discussion in our main discussion areas. (This includes your opinion about the incubation/infectious period, interval before a positive test, and infection control measures the NFL should employ, and this means YOU.) We are a Buffalo Bills fan community and we exist to serve fans of the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Please use other communities and venues to discuss heath-related topics including COVID-19. 

Information about COVID-19 is available from many globally respected sources including:

Uptodate     |  British Medical Journal Best Practice   |      COVIPENDIUM    |    Our world in Data

The pinned topic: COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic, located on the Off the Wall subforum, is also a resource.   Should these not meet your needs, many other sources of information (of varied accuracy) exist.

Thank you!

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I thought they tweaked it after the Matthew Stafford False-Positive situation, where If player tests positive but is asymptomatic and has no known history of infection, he would be given 2 more tests to confirm. If those are negative, he’s considered not infected.

Is there doubt that Cam has it?

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I thought they tweaked it after the Matthew Stafford False-Positive situation, where If player tests positive but is asymptomatic and has no known history of infection, he would be given 2 more tests to confirm. If those are negative, he’s considered not infected. Did they change it back?  I mean this thing has changed so much 

Sporting News reports (on 9/29): Following a positive test, if the player is asymptomatic, he can return once :

• 10 days have passed since the initial positive test; OR
  • Five days have passed since the initial positive test and the player receives two consecutive negative PCR virus tests at least 24 hours apart within that five-day period

Following a positive test, if the player demonstrates symptoms, he can return once:

• At least 10 days have passed since symptoms first appeared; AND
  • At least 72 hours have passed since he last experienced symptoms

In either case, a player who tests positive must be cleared by his team's head physician before returning.

Additionally, all players who have tested positive and recovered (or who have tested positive for antibodies) will undergo additional cardiac screening.

Edited by scribo
added date of article
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

Is there doubt that Cam has it?

He had one positive test so far as far as I know 

1 minute ago, scribo said:

Sporting News Reports: Following a positive test, if the player is asymptomatic, he can return once :

• 10 days have passed since the initial positive test; OR
  • Five days have passed since the initial positive test and the player receives two consecutive negative PCR virus tests at least 24 hours apart within that five-day period

Following a positive test, if the player demonstrates symptoms, he can return once:

• At least 10 days have passed since symptoms first appeared; AND
  • At least 72 hours have passed since he last experienced symptoms

In either case, a player who tests positive must be cleared by his team's head physician before returning.

Additionally, all players who have tested positive and recovered (or who have tested positive for antibodies) will undergo additional cardiac screening.

So 5 days minimum 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

Ever since he didn't fall on that fumble in the Super Bowl, how can anyone say he has IT?

He had a super lame slide against the Raiders too. Looked like a scared kid. Anyone else see that?

3 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

I've always really liked Cam Newton until he signed with New England.  I hope he has a quick recovery so our division title remains untainted.

He showed me who he is when he didn't dive for that fumble in the Superbowl.  Screw him and his constant showboating.  I say that knowing the odds of him recovering are extremely high (above 99%).

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

He had one positive test so far as far as I know 

So 5 days minimum 

Right, but if he really has it, which they say he does, he won't be testing negative yet in just two days from now. 

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Yes dominoes are going to start to fall.  Players who could not stop smoking weed to keep getting paid millions of dollars are not going to be able to follow rules thru Superbowl.  Some just do not have the will power.

This is a lousy statement to make.  We don't have any clue how he caught it.  It could have been contact with someone who worked for the team.  It could have been his housecleaner, or a family member who went to the grocery store.  I'd be very surprised if he did anything dumb to jeopardize his season, knowing how much he enjoys winning, and also how much $ he has at stake.  

There are some dumb players, there are some addicts (which is not the same thing.)  Cam hasn't done anything that I'm aware of that would indicate he's in either of those groups.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, FTLBillsfan said:

Does that mean the Bills - Raiders game is the only late game on CBS? The Pats - Chiefs game was scheduled for most of the country except Western and Central NY and Nevada and Southern California that had the Bills - Raiders

Unfortunately, no. The NFL moved the Bears-Colts game from 1 to 4:25.

Unfortunately, no. The NFL moved the Bears-Colts game from 1 to 4:25.

I just saw that, But I don't think Bears - Colts game will get the coverage that Pats _ Chiefs did. This moves Bills - Raiders as the premium game in that time slot. Most likely here in Florida we will get the bills game. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, FTLBillsfan said:

I just saw that, But I don't think Bears - Colts game will get the coverage that Pats _ Chiefs did. This moves Bills - Raiders as the premium game in that time slot. Most likely here in Florida we will get the bills game. 

Both are 3-0 teams going against 2-1 teams.  I guess we'll have to wait for the coverage maps to update.

I wonder how both the Pats* and Titans players (locker room) is taking all of this.

One would think there would be some finger pointing and distress coming from all this.

Players worried they may be passing this to their families etc.

I guess I disagree that teams with players testing positive will get any "advantage".

I see it as a pretty big problem

• Thank you (+1) 1

I, for one, am not claiming the NFL's handling thus far is giving the infected teams advantages over any of the uninfected teams. But the Titans are getting a better deal, so far, than the Pats*. Once again, I am not complaining but I think Pats* fans have room to complain. That said, I believe the way they are treating the Pats* right now is the right way.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, scribo said:

I, for one, am not claiming the NFL's handling thus far is giving the infected teams advantages over any of the uninfected teams. But the Titans are getting a better deal, so far, than the Pats*. Once again, I am not complaining but I think Pats* fans have room to complain. That said, I believe the way they are treating the Pats* right now is the right way.

Pats could have a full blown outbreak and get the rescheduled game, but as long as they’ve done everything right, and Cam was isolated and is the only exposure, they get to play Tuesday without him.  

It’s the right way to handle it, but it also penalizes the team that did it the right way.  (Also see, Falcons, AJ Terrell)

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

I hope my post didn't make you think that.  I was not talking about the NFL.  Some of the comments made got me thinking about what this must be

doing to the team itself.  It can't be good.  

Human nature would say some might think, "TB wouldn't of brought this in the facility, what's up with Cam.  Isn't he suppose to be THE leader?"

This has to be upsetting to many players/coaches/etc.

• Like (+1) 1