Cam Newton tests positive for Covid, OUT Sunday v Chiefs UPDATE: Game postponed

Process
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please tightly restrict conversation in this thread to football and football-relevant matters.

Two Bills Drive no longer finds it appropriate to engage in COVID-19 discussion in our main discussion areas. (This includes your opinion about the incubation/infectious period, interval before a positive test, and infection control measures the NFL should employ, and this means YOU.) We are a Buffalo Bills fan community and we exist to serve fans of the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Please use other communities and venues to discuss heath-related topics including COVID-19. 

Information about COVID-19 is available from many globally respected sources including:

Uptodate     |  British Medical Journal Best Practice   |      COVIPENDIUM    |    Our world in Data

The pinned topic: COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic, located on the Off the Wall subforum, is also a resource.   Should these not meet your needs, many other sources of information (of varied accuracy) exist.

Thank you!

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Pats could have a full blown outbreak and get the rescheduled game, but as long as they’ve done everything right, and Cam was isolated and is the only exposure, they get to play Tuesday without him.  

It’s the right way to handle it, but it also penalizes the team that did it the right way.  (Also see, Falcons, AJ Terrell)

I agree with that. 
Im not sure the titans are still getting a good deal out of this yet. It’s starting to sound like our game with them next week is in danger of being cancelled or postponed. How many titan players are working out at home like they would in facilities 

4 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I agree with that. 
Im not sure the titans are still getting a good deal out of this yet. It’s starting to sound like our game with them next week is in danger of being cancelled or postponed. How many titan players are working out at home like they would in facilities 

I don’t think the Titans are getting a huge benefit to this, but they got a game fully rescheduled, while the Pats have to play Tuesday without their starting QB.   We all know if the Pats bungle this and we see a bunch of NE cases tomorrow, that they will also get the game rescheduled for when they have Cam.  

....and then they also wouldn’t have to worry about Cam missing time somewhere else in the season due to COVID. 

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I don’t think the Titans are getting a huge benefit to this, but they got a game fully rescheduled, while the Pats have to play Tuesday without their starting QB.   We all know if the Pats bungle this and we see a bunch of NE cases tomorrow, that they will also get the game rescheduled for when they have Cam.  

....and then they also wouldn’t have to worry about Cam missing time somewhere else in the season due to COVID. 

Well supposedly Kansas City has some positives coming as well. I thought I read that from ESPN when the news first came out. I just never looked around to confirm. And then it’s mentioned on this thread again.  This honestly is a disaster and terrible for all of us. It’s getting close to league wide quarantine period to try and start over. 

Edited by Rc2catch

1 hour ago, stevewin said:

Only other one i've seen so far has been practice squad QB for Chiefs

Hmmm.....doesn't that seem premature for postponing the game?

Then again, I'm not up to speed on how quickly they can test everyone.

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Wait, WAT?  Source?

OK, I see...PS QB Jordan Taamu of "throwing to Dawson Knox on a JetSki" fame.  Anyone else?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/chiefs-quarterback-jordan-taamu-reportedly-tests-positive-for-covid-19-matchup-vs-patriots-rescheduled/

Not yet and let's hope it's contained.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Hmmm.....doesn't that seem premature for postponing the game?

Then again, I'm not up to speed on how quickly they can test everyone.

I think they need to get everyone's Sat am tests back, which doesn't happen until this evening.  If any are positive, they need to do POC tests and another lab test to confirm.

So at earliest, the Pats would be traveling late Sat night or early Sun morning, which is quite the disruption for a Sunday game.

Not that I don't think it could happen to a nicer team or anything, but it does seem that postponing is necessary to get the tests back before they travel.

1 minute ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

Slightly off topic, but has anyone seen an update to TV coverage for tomorrow w/ the NE/KC game being postponed? I just checked https://506sports.com/ and no news yet......thanks in advance !

Someone said they're flexing the Bears game to 4 pm and televising that instead.

I think they need to get everyone's Sat am tests back, which doesn't happen until this evening.  If any are positive, they need to do POC tests and another lab test to confirm.

So at earliest, the Pats would be traveling late Sat night or early Sun morning, which is quite the disruption for a Sunday game.

Not that I don't think it could happen to a nicer team or anything, but it does seem that postponing is necessary to get the tests back before they travel.

Someone said they're flexing the Bears game to 4 pm and televising that instead.

yes, 506 Sports shows the Bears game being moved to 4pm but no confirmation of which game will be televised in lieu of the KC game being PPD

2 minutes ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

yes, 506 Sports shows the Bears game being moved to 4pm but no confirmation of which game will be televised in lieu of the KC game being PPD

Still hope I guess. 

Though if I do wind up able to watch it, I hope our defense doesn't "Do (us) Like That" with letting 25 point lead get swallowed.  My heart's not strong enough.

Still hope I guess. 

Though if I do wind up able to watch it, I hope our defense doesn't "Do (us) Like That" with letting 25 point lead get swallowed.  My heart's not strong enough.

agreed ... although I don't see the Bills getting sucker punched again like that

Each team should bubble their own team: players and coaches:

Hotel -> Practice-> Hotel

When traveling

Hotel -> Plane/Bus -> Hotel

on game day

Hotel -> Game -> Plane (if required) -> Hotel 

I know this is harsh, but it is the most bubbling you can do in this league. 

Edited by wjag
Afd

34 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Wait, WAT?  Source?

OK, I see...PS QB Jordan Taamu of "throwing to Dawson Knox on a JetSki" fame.  Anyone else?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/chiefs-quarterback-jordan-taamu-reportedly-tests-positive-for-covid-19-matchup-vs-patriots-rescheduled/

I agree with those saying that Tennessee and Pittsburgh are getting a better deal in all this than KC and NE. ..... Does this mean KC could potentially be playing 3 games in 10 days (Tues, Sun, Thursday)? .... a big competitive advantage to the Bills if that plays out. 

If that is the case, don’t be surprised if our Thursday game gets moved to Sunday. 

Edited by CSBill

8 minutes ago, wjag said:

Each team should bubble their own team: players and coaches:

Hotel -> Practice-> Hotel

When traveling

Hotel -> Plane/Bus -> Hotel

on game day

Hotel -> Game -> Plane (if required) -> Hotel 

I know this is harsh, but is the most bubbling you can do in this league. 

I think the traveling/game day thing is pretty much what they do

In their own city, I think the hotel -> practice-> hotel would actually be counter-productive. For the guys with girlfriends or wives and families, it's far easier to be content at home with your family and your dog if you're home, plus a lot of the guys have workout equipment and various rehab and recovery equipment it benefits them to use.

The key is for teams to help the single guys find lower-risk but fun entertainment without the bars or  the "swipe right" scene

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Any how many Falcons players tested positive after one did last friday? 

1 positive test is an anomaly, 5 is an outbreak. The first time we knew anything was up in Ten was when we heard of 5. There's no reason to assume this is Titans and not Falcons. We'll see what happens. 

I think a lot about how much it spreads is determined by how strictly teams adhere to their protocols inside their own buildings. I'm not sure that the Patriots history with respecting the rules will work out for them in this instance. Hopefully the rest of the league is reminded how quickly this thing can spread so proper precautions are taken and the season can carry on to a victorious conclusion for the Bills. 

People were getting cocky and careless. The Raiders charity event is a perfect example of people letting their guard down and putting the season at risk.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

Since I know from Sabrespace that @SDS disapproves of megathreads about two topics, even if the topics are very related, I have to wonder why this was combined.  There was information that I wanted that now will be difficult to find in an 18-page (as of now) thread.  Mods, please think through a little bit.  Thanks.

Edited by Offside Number 76