Lack of RB Production is limiting this Team

The Jets have a great run defense and a great D line, which our O line couldn't get holes in.  The problem starts with the line.  The RBs never had a chance to get going.  Our O line is average or a little better, but needs to get significantly better to let the rest of the O reach its potential.

It will be interesting to see what the plan is vs Fins. Pats ran Cam and RB’s effectively. Fins not stoping it makes us think Bills will do the same. So more RPO likely. While I agree with those who are concerned about 17’s exposure. However as Diggs shared Josh feeds off the excitement and adrenaline rush.  Or do we keep letting Josh throw to set up the run? Good problem to have for Bills. Fins gave Pats a better until late in game so I expect a tough one. Flores is simply better than Gase. 

10 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

I don't disagree there at all.  Everyone is making rationale points.  I just look at the Ravens for example with a QB, who like Allen, gets his share of rushing TDs.  But the the RBs contribute more, 28 TDs in 2-years to our 8 TDs in years outside of the QBs.  I think it's a fair question regardless of how many spears are thrown.

Yes, but right now on a parallel message board, there is a Ravens fan making a thread about the lack of production from their WRs. Only 15 TDs for their WRs last year total.

Sure, we could always use more TDs, and definitely need to increase our total scoring from the last couple of years. But even with that, there arent a lot more TDs to go around.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NickelCity said:

I think Singletary is underrated on this board. He isn't a home run hitter but he's a lead back.

I have no idea with Moss. Looked sluggish in game 1, but it was literally game 1 of his pro career. 

Moss looked pretty good in pass protection and in the passing game.

I think the type of run plays they used with Moss don't suit his strengths. It was a bunch of counters, and semi-delayed handoffs where he was practically standing still when Josh handed him the ball.

He's a downhill runner and needs to hit the hole hard and fast. The two runs he had that looked dynamic were quick hitters. I think he'll do much better with more direct running plays.

Edited by Motorin'
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

In 2018, we had one of the worst offensive lines in league history.  

in 2019 our OL was better.  Better meaning average.  73 year old Frank Gore led our team

in carries.  Singletary averaged 5.1.  

Josh allen has more rushing TDs in his first 2 years than any QB history.  Handing the ball off on the goal line gives us one option.  Putting the ball in Josh’s hands, gives us two. 

i agree, I’d like to see our RBs get in the end zone more often, but that just means they’re going to have to score from further out.  When we’re down close, I think Josh should have the ball.  He’s done a helluva job down close so far.  

That’s just it.  If our RBs are going to score more, they’re gonna have to be better at scoring from outside the 10.  

Do you think it’s dabolls fault that we don’t break longer RB runs?

And whenever they got inside the 10 yard line last year they'd give it to Frank Gore, and a cloud of dust later, we'd be one yard closer! on a good day! 

Would be interesting to see overall how the team did in general inside he 10 to 15 yard line as seemed like even when passing, we struggled with scoring from in close.  Granted, that's probably the toughest for all teams.  But last year, the defense would know as soon as Gore walked onto the field, the handoff was going to him.  Since the field is now shortened, a little easier to blitz too which  Allen tended to struggle with.

Having said all that, don't think the problem is the running backs,  more maybe the O line and last season Frank Gore.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, QLBillsFan said:

It will be interesting to see what the plan is vs Fins. Pats ran Cam and RB’s effectively. Fins not stoping it makes us think Bills will do the same. So more RPO likely. While I agree with those who are concerned about 17’s exposure. However as Diggs shared Josh feeds off the excitement and adrenaline rush.  Or do we keep letting Josh throw to set up the run? Good problem to have for Bills. Fins gave Pats a better until late in game so I expect a tough one. Flores is simply better than Gase. 

Welcome QLBF and it will be interesting.  The one selfish reason I have in wanting a decent running attack against Miami is that it will show that

Beane, McDermott, Daboll and Josh are getting this offense to game plan AND execute.

In the end though, I just want the win.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yes, but right now on a parallel message board, there is a Ravens fan making a thread about the lack of production from their WRs. Only 15 TDs for their WRs last year total.

Sure, we could always use more TDs, and definitely need to increase our total scoring from the last couple of years. But even with that, there arent a lot more TDs to go around.

Lamar Jackson has a hard time throwing toward the sidelines. I’d say 80% of his passes are completed between the numbers. I’d lazy rush Lamar and keep hands up and spy the middle of the field. 

you’re not gonna see Jackson throwing to many 15 yard outs or comebacks on the sidelines. He’s all about Andrews, slants and crossing routes. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Dkollidas said:

I think that number is low because of Allen. 18 rushing touchdowns to this point of his career. If you add those into the totals, it looks stronger. 

This post is ridiculous because Allen has become the number 1 weapon in the run game inside the 10 yard line.

38 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

No I'm saying it because they don't have the speed to break big runs.

Agree with those who say speed at the position is a luxury not a necessity, but it sure would be nice to have more speed out of the back field. Yes it's only one game, but both Motor and Moss looked very slow hitting the hole and attempting to get to the 2nd level on Sunday.

And there is no way McCoy wasn't fast. His acceleration was among the best in the league. 

WRT Singletary hitting the hole... Agree, he did look slow getting to the line, but it seemed part of that was because Josh was taking his time deciding what to do on the RPOs. Holding onto it too long, and the couple of times he did decide to give it to Motor, it was too late and the Defense already ate him up.

RUns over 20 yards

46 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

A lot less than people think.  There was a same type thread started last year and I looked up the stats for long rushing TDs.

I used like 30yds, 50yds and 70yds (if i remember correctly).

Runs over 20 yards for 2019 regular season:

1. Nick Chubb - 11

1. Lamar Jackson - 11

3. Marlon Mack - 9

3. Derrick Henry - 9

5. Carlos Hyde - 8

5. Chris Carson - 8

5. Saquon Barkley - 8

5. Josh Jacobs - 8

9. Devin Singletary - 7

9. Dalvin Cook - 7

9. Leonard Fournette - 7

9. Phillip Lindsay - 7

9. Kyler Murray - 7

So while @Lieutenant Aldo Raine and some of the usual suspects like @ScottLaw want to ignore it. Singletary was at the top of the league in these 'breakaway runs' which includes 2 QBs lol..

Edited by jeremy2020
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

No I'm saying it because they don't have the speed to break big runs.

Agree with those who say speed at the position is a luxury not a necessity, but it sure would be nice to have more speed out of the back field. Yes it's only one game, but both Motor and Moss looked very slow hitting the hole and attempting to get to the 2nd level on Sunday.

And there is no way McCoy wasn't fast. His acceleration was among the best in the league. 

I already told you I meant Bell and not McCoy.  

There are plenty of RB's with Singletary and Moss's speed that have broken big runs.  

Jeremy Hill was a slower RB and had an 85 yard TD run.  He was a 4.63 forty.

Leveon Bell is a slower RB and had an 81 yard TD run.  He was a 4.6 forty.

Yes it's only one game and last year Motor averaged 5.1 ypc and you've forgotten that because we didn't draft Dobbins.

12 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

RUns over 20 yards

1. Nick Chubb - 11

1. Lamar Jackson - 11

3. Marlon Mack - 9

3. Derrick Henry - 9

5. Carlos Hyde - 8

5. Chris Carson - 8

5. Saquon Barkley - 8

5. Josh Jacobs - 8

9. Devin Singletary - 7

9. Dalvin Cook - 7

9. Leonard Fournette - 7

9. Phillip Lindsay - 7

9. Kyler Murray - 7

So while @Lieutenant Aldo Raine and some of the usual suspects like @ScottLaw want to ignore it. Singletary was at the top of the league in these 'breakaway runs' which includes 2 QBs lol..

Thanks, and true Devin did well last year even though he didn't play a full season.

As to those numbers, the gist of the thread was TD runs.  Those numbers go way way down when you look at them for the entire league.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I already told you I meant Bell and not McCoy.  

There are plenty of RB's with Singletary and Moss's speed that have broken big runs.  

Jeremy Hill was a slower RB and had an 85 yard TD run.  He was a 4.63 forty.

Leveon Bell is a slower RB and had an 81 yard TD run.  He was a 4.6 forty.

Yes it's only one game and last year Motor averaged 5.1 ypc and you've forgotten that because we didn't draft Dobbins.

I see, and here I thought it was only the general disgruntled Bills fan.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

I would’ve liked to add a vertical speed threat at RB instead of Moss but I do like moss.  I think as long as our passing game continues to improve, our running game will do the same.  I can’t recall a game in which the opposing DC called a defense geared to stopping our pass.  When that starts to happen, the RB will get better opportunities 

calling CJ Spiller

1 hour ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

But he specifically mentions the past 2 seasons. Then after the game against the Jets our RBs had 41 yards total... He is simply stating things have to change.

why?

the perceived problem for years has been the inability to throw the ball-

lack of 300 yd passing games -

now they throw the ball like most NFL offenses and they are incompetent because they didn't try to run into a run based defense

okey dokey

24 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

RUns over 20 yards

1. Nick Chubb - 11

1. Lamar Jackson - 11

3. Marlon Mack - 9

3. Derrick Henry - 9

5. Carlos Hyde - 8

5. Chris Carson - 8

5. Saquon Barkley - 8

5. Josh Jacobs - 8

9. Devin Singletary - 7

9. Dalvin Cook - 7

9. Leonard Fournette - 7

9. Phillip Lindsay - 7

9. Kyler Murray - 7

Yo @jeremy2020!  Was I talking about runs over 20 yards in my initial post?  I am not ignoring it and I appreciate the fact you contributed that to the discussion.  Perhaps you could address and not ignore my overall point about the lack of rushing TDs by the RBs  (TDs = 6pts).   Let me see if I can explain it a different way to you.  The Bills scored 314 pts last year as team.  The RBs produced 4 TDs last year equating to 24 pts of that 314.  Would be nice to see that improved don't you agree, or are you satisfied with the status quo?

13 minutes ago, spartacus said:

calling CJ Spiller

why?

the perceived problem for years has been the inability to throw the ball-

lack of 300 yd passing games -

now they throw the ball like most NFL offenses and they are incompetent because they didn't try to run into a run based defense

okey dokey

Yeah, he’d be perfect....if he knew how to play RB.  Worst vision ever 

29 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Yo @jeremy2020!  Was I talking about runs over 20 yards in my initial post?  I am not ignoring it and I appreciate the fact you contributed that to the discussion.  Perhaps you could address and not ignore my overall point about the lack of rushing TDs by the RBs  (TDs = 6pts).   Let me see if I can explain it a different way to you.  The Bills scored 314 pts last year as team.  The RBs produced 4 TDs last year equating to 24 pts of that 314.  Would be nice to see that improved don't you agree, or are you satisfied with the status quo?

Splitting hairs, but something I just thought of...

Do you count Moss's TD from Sunday? Or no because it was a pass?

3 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Can you think of any runs where our RBs are breaking away runs to even score?  I can't think of any.

This again 🤦🏼‍♂️

This obsession for the one or two times an entire season a RB scores a 60+ yard TD is silly.

Last year, Devin tied Henry for the league lead for yards per carry.  Who cares about 1 to 3 plays a year that are long TD runs.  Those don’t win you games...first downs where you keep the ball and keep moving towards the end zone win games.  And once you there scoring TDs medium and short distances win games.  

And the reason the TD total looks low for the RBs is because we have a tank of a QB who vultured 18 rushing TDs the last two years.  

Our RBs are going to be just fine.