Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MAJBobby

PFF Refocused Week 1 - Bills vs Jets

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Nihilarian said:

This game was like a preseason game with some good and some bad and it might take a few games for things to settle down on offense. What struck me was the Bills could not get an effective run game working which usually takes some heat off the QB. Moss 9 attempt's for 11 yards a 1.2 YPC AVG. Motor 9 attempts for 30 yards a 3.3 YPC AVG. YIKES!

 

Josh Allen going 33 of 46 is something I'm hoping we don't see very often this season. I'm not going to complain very much because the Jets don't have a great secondary and the Bills took advantage of what they were seeing. Diggs was 17.9 in receiving yards per reception in 2019 and 10.8 in the Jets game. 

 

It was a win against a division opponent and I'm happy about it. 

 

Whereas if I can get Josh Allen going 33 of 46 16 weeks out of 16 just without two fumbles when rushing I'd be dancing in the street. I have said it to you for over a year.... Josh is at his best when the game is put on him and he is asked to throw. I love that the Bills aren't trying to turn him into a glorified game manager.

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

 

Whereas if I can get Josh Allen going 33 of 46 16 weeks out of 16 just without two fumbles when rushing I'd be dancing in the street. I have said it to you for over a year.... Josh is at his best when the game is put on him and he is asked to throw. I love that the Bills aren't trying to turn him into a glorified game manager.

Yeah averaging 72% completion of a season isn't an unreasonable ask or anything

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Yea and no. Is the Ng shorthand for negative. If your take away from yesterdays game is that bad I don't know how to help you. Josh keeps making strides. The guy took what the vaunted Greg Williams defense game him and frankly took them to school. I'm expecting continues improvement from Josh as he gains experience. For your own sake just try and enjoy the season.

I dont think you have a good grasp of football. It is not only the outcome that matters. If you were sitting in the film room today with Josh and his coaches is this what you would be saying? "Come on guys, we won and Josh was super cool. Look at the play when he ran left and then back and then spun around two times before jumping over two people and going 40 yards for the TD." They know that wont always happen. You dont build a game plan around that. Yes, it is a skillset that factors into what you can do as an Offense but you still want designed plays. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, H2o said:

The offense had 31 First Downs. 17 of those were on passing plays, 8 were rushing, and 6 from penalties. Two of those penalties were on PI calls and one a Holding call in the endzone. Josh took what the defense gave him all day, kept the chains moving, and showed improvement as a passer. Those who continue to nitpick at every single detail of his game, even when he is clearly improving and we are WINNING, will do so even if he ends up hoisting a Lombardi in a Bills uni. He's never going to be perfect. There will never be beautiful rainbows trailing off the back end of the football with every pass he throws. He will however end up being the best QB to ever don a Bills jersey other than Jim Kelly. 

 

Nice poetry and worth bumping!

 

The next great long pass from Allen I will have this in my head.

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NoSaint said:


it’s a three sentence praise of our big ticket free agents. Let’s not freak out about lack of nuance for the many other positions involved in passing.


right. That site hates Josh. It’s no mistake they gave him zero credit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Allen was far from perfect, but he played pretty well overall. I wonder why everyone gets so emo when PFF tells the truth about him. I see the folks that are whining about it forgot to mention the next sentence which reads "While Allen showed numerous signs to be encouraged about, the same can’t be said for Darnold."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ngbills said:

Agreed. Saying that Allen suffers from lack of YAC while others benefit would be like some conspiracy theory. YAC comes from ball placement, timing and making the right read. This is the NFL. Any WR that catches the ball with room to run is going to make that play. Yes, some are clearly better than others but it is not as drastic as some try to imply. Like the Bills WR all just fall down or run out of bounds. We have seen tons of examples of a Bills catch being made but if the ball is thrown a bit better the guy picks up extra yards vs diving for a ball, etc. 

What I saw yesterday was Josh putting the ball in pretty tight places, often times with the receiver right at the sideline.  Jets D wasn’t giving up the home run ball.  
Even that pass to Beasley down the middle, I think that was a great throw.  We needed to move the sticks, don’t hang the ball up over the tiny Beasley’s head or give a Jet DB a chance to make a play on it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Yeah averaging 72% completion of a season isn't an unreasonable ask or anything

 

I am not saying he has to be at 72%. I am saying if we did get that game for 16 weeks I would be overjoyed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I dont think you have a good grasp of football. It is not only the outcome that matters. If you were sitting in the film room today with Josh and his coaches is this what you would be saying? "Come on guys, we won and Josh was super cool. Look at the play when he ran left and then back and then spun around two times before jumping over two people and going 40 yards for the TD." They know that wont always happen. You dont build a game plan around that. Yes, it is a skillset that factors into what you can do as an Offense but you still want designed plays. 

 

I can't figure if you are just being obtuse or if you truly just don't get it. Your comment that I've bolded above sums up what you are missing. We have a player that frequently makes those sorts of things happen. Most teams can not say this. When you have a special player you play to their strengths. He's a 3rd year player that missed out on top level coaching in high school and college. He has things to learn. He is learning and  improving quickly at the position. 

 

I don't think you have a good grasp on people or management. Celebrating wins leads to sustained improvement and higher team performance. Focusing on the negatives only leads to resentment. The culture and process are following the more positive and supportive philosophy and the results are speaking for themselves.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

 

I can't figure if you are just being obtuse or if you truly just don't get it. Your comment that I've bolded above sums up what you are missing. We have a player that frequently makes those sorts of things happen. Most teams can not say this. When you have a special player you play to their strengths. He's a 3rd year player that missed out on top level coaching in high school and college. He has things to learn. He is learning and  improving quickly at the position. 

 

I don't think you have a good grasp on people or management. Celebrating wins leads to sustained improvement and higher team performance. Focusing on the negatives only leads to resentment. The culture and process are following the more positive and supportive philosophy and the results are speaking for themselves.

Hilarious. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

This game was like a preseason game with some good and some bad and it might take a few games for things to settle down on offense. What struck me was the Bills could not get an effective run game working which usually takes some heat off the QB. Moss 9 attempt's for 11 yards a 1.2 YPC AVG. Motor 9 attempts for 30 yards a 3.3 YPC AVG. YIKES!

 

Josh Allen going 33 of 46 is something I'm hoping we don't see very often this season. I'm not going to complain very much because the Jets don't have a great secondary and the Bills took advantage of what they were seeing. Diggs was 17.9 in receiving yards per reception in 2019 and 10.8 in the Jets game. 

 

It was a win against a division opponent and I'm happy about it. 

 

They weren't having any success running under center so they went largely with motion and read-option.  The jets kept playing it to keep the ball in allen's hands.  Other's will do this if he keeps failing to secure it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ngbills said:

This is true as well. You play what the defense is giving you. Then the CB inevitably tries to cheat the dig or hitch and the WR takes it deep. This will happen in time as Allen becomes a complete QB. 

 

Right - if you give me cover 2, then the deep stuff to diggs and brown will always be tough to complete.  But it creates opportunity for bease and knox up those seams.  You can also work deep crossers and get those safeties making decisions side to side.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:


right. That site hates Josh. It’s no mistake they gave him zero credit

They actually said Allen "showed numerous signs to be encouraged about", but the OP didn't include that part.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ngbills said:

YAC comes from accuracy. The pass to Beasley that was off target was a ton of lost YAC. Watch the tape and dont just reject anything you dont like to hear. Many throws were checkdowns. Nothing wrong with that. That is why it took 46 attempts to hit 300 yds and total of 179 air yards on 33 completions. Watch the Ravens game - almost half the attempts for 275 yards. He had 202 air yards on only 20 completes. 

 

Yeah the Beasley throw had a high potential  for a TD had it been on target.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

 

Yeah the Beasley throw had a high potential  for a TD had it been on target.

He overthrows that ball by 6 inches and people are screaming that he didn’t just put it where it needed to be to get the first down (which is what he did) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Yeah averaging 72% completion of a season isn't an unreasonable ask or anything

🔥

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bulldog said:

This is such a good sign! Josh is really mentally developing his game - he took what the Jets were giving him & realized that there was no need to force anything into coverage. He has better weapons now - just distribute the ball to them & let them do their thing. Hit on an occasional deep ball & we are in for  a very exciting season.  

Are we related?

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ngbills said:

Yes and no. We are mostly casual fans on here so I know this will not happen. But...watch the film and it was not as good of a performance as just the stats show. Not just the fumbles and couple of missed passes. Still too many plays that turn into improvisation which is good at times, but too much is a QB that still struggling a bit with reads and decisions. I guarantee you the coaches and Josh are watching films and even on a play were he scrambles one way and then goes another for a 22 yard run they are saying look at Diggs here and this is when you should have thrown the ball etc. They now you dont win consistently playing that way. In a big game that 22 yard run turns into a 10 yard loss or a bad pass attempt on the run or a fumble. It is finding that balance of scripted vs improv. 

 

We are?  I submit that people who post on a Bills message board are NOT casual fans.

 

If you can be this negative after yesterday's game I shudder to think how negative you will be after the inevitable Allen clunker.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ngbills said:

YAC comes from accuracy. The pass to Beasley that was off target was a ton of lost YAC. Watch the tape and dont just reject anything you dont like to hear. 

 

And don't just accept anything you hear either. 

I know that whoever was calling that game said something about Beasley having a chance to take that to the house but that simply was not going to happen. 

The Jets had dropped into two deep and the Free was already closing on Beasley when Allen let it go.  The safety was on his way and had the angle and if Josh hangs that thing out there, there's a better chance the safety closes on it than anything else. Taking the 30yrds that were available was exactly the right thing to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SCBills said:

 

I've noticed this... we rarely got YAC production other QB's get weekly for the first two years of Allen... Week 1, Year 3, we finally see a functional passing game and it needs to be emphasized by some that we didn't attack down the field....

 

Meanwhile, I hear the same people talk about Jimmy G's "hot start" against Arizona, which consisted primarily of a dump off pass to Raheem Mostert for 70 YAC TD.

 


Our YAC was actually pretty bad yesterday. Diggs had 10 YAC yesterday total on 8 catches. Brown lead the team with 28 YAC on 6 catches. Neither are good. 
 

It is still very much lacking in our offense. It’s been one of my larger criticisms of Allen the last two years. He makes things difficult on his receivers to both make the catch and make a ply after it. 
 

Granted this is a one week sample size so I have not jumped on it. He deserves a chance to prove he has gotten better this offseason. But I thought it was important to point out that yesterday showed no improvement on that front as you implied. 
 

Edit: wanted to add, Josh was better yesterday. Some of that is his improvements. Some of that is surrounding cast. Just was talking about this issue in particular. 

Edited by Mango

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...