Training Camp 8/23 - Allen, 5 others miss practice due to False positive Covid tests

YoloinOhio

Nice blurb about Fromm from Sal.

"Rookie quarterback Jake Fromm looked to get much more comfortable as the week went on.  Initially, I felt he looked tentative and maybe even a bit overwhelmed.  But by the end of the week he seemed much more confident and decisive, making a few really nice throws in 7-on-7 and 11-on-11."

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Nice blurb about Fromm from Sal.

"Rookie quarterback Jake Fromm looked to get much more comfortable as the week went on.  Initially, I felt he looked tentative and maybe even a bit overwhelmed.  But by the end of the week he seemed much more confident and decisive, making a few really nice throws in 7-on-7 and 11-on-11."

This is potentially one of the most important pickups this year.
    If we field a top 1-5 D, which I expect we will, having a kid who can come in and manage a few games is huge. I have little faith in Barkley.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think Hauschka's on his way out.  Coming up short on several 50 yard attempts inside the stadium in perfect weather does not bode well, particularly when Bass is booming them and every reporter has noted how the ball "explodes" off his foot.

• Like (+1) 14
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, eball said:

I think Hauschka's on his way out.  Coming up short on several 50 yard attempts inside the stadium in perfect weather does not bode well, particularly when Bass is booming them and every reporter has noted how the ball "explodes" off his foot.

And I was hoping for the square dance on the onside kick.  See other thread.  

Eball, you’re probably right.

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I wonder if this will impact the Bills practice today . The browns are one of the teams that use this lab so based on proximity it is likely the Bills do as well 

The Jets strike again.

BioReference Labs.  I used to be a Regional Sales Manager at a Biotech company so we had high level meetings trying to partner with them on some of our specialty lab tests.  Do you know they are the largest provider for prisons in the US.  Offenders are required to take certain tests like TB as a rule.   Before the thought police get upset, I am in no way insinuating NFL players are offenders.  Just a point of comparison what BioReference Does for a business.  They are a monster just after Quest and Labcorp.  They are not a bad group of guys and one of their main hubs is in New Jersey.

Hopefully they get it worked out.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, machine gun kelly said:

BioReference Labs.  I used to be a Regional Sales Manager at a Biotech company so we had high level meetings trying to partner with them on some of our specialty lab tests.  Do you know they are the largest provider for prisons in the US.  Offenders are required to take certain tests like TB as a rule.   Before the thought police get upset, I am in no way insinuating NFL players are offenders.  Just a point of comparison what BioReference Does for a business.  They are a monster just after Quest and Labcorp.  They are not a bad group of guys and one of their main hubs is in New Jersey.

Hopefully this is true for all and things get worked out 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, eball said:

Kickers tend to fall off a cliff and never come back in terms of career arc.

I’m a bit surprised that Hauschka made it through last season. I’ll be thoroughly shocked if he wins the job and holds it through this one.

• Like (+1) 3

#Bills GM Brandon Beane says they will be missing a few players at practice today due to a lab issue with COVID testing...explains they are 1 of 10 or 11 teams to be impacted by this...says NFL jumped on it right away to let them know it wasn't just Bills dealing with this issue

So we’re seeing a lab under scrutiny for returning a huge chunk of false-positives because the Multibillion dollar industry was (presumably) able to re-test or relay on additional information to say “wait, we really don’t think these guys are positive”

Makes you wonder how many false positives are happening in the world at large that aren’t being caught. 

• Like (+1) 11
  • Thank you (+1) 5

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

You never disappoint   

You can depend on Thad for that very quality...?

Edited by Don Otreply

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

I go to "high level meetings" sometimes.

• Haha (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Beane is constantly pro active, we are lucky to have him as GM.

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

So we’re seeing a lab under scrutiny for returning a huge chunk of false-positives because the Multibillion dollar industry was (presumably) able to re-test or relay on additional information to say “wait, we really don’t think these guys are positive”

Makes you wonder how many false positives are happening in the world at large that aren’t being caught. 

I work for a biotech that is heavily involved in COVID test development and production. A problem (not the only one, but one) is tests being administered by unqualified people. That has led to false positives. Testing has to be conducted according to procedure, by qualified health professionals. Results have too many implications to not be taken seriously. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

imagine if this happens before a game during the season LOL

america . please get your ***** together. 

9 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

So I had to take a test before going back to school and it was 15 minutes and done on the spot- no lab.

I take it they’re using something more intensive than that?

the 15 min tests are not reliable at all, that is why no major sports league uses them. 

the nasal swab is the most reliable as of now. its actually absurd how the NFL doesn't have their own lab to handle the test capacity. 

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Because PCR testing is so sensitive, running a good PCR testing operation requires specialized lab set up and know how.

It doesn't sound like these folks got it down.  Way too many false positives.  They need to get someone in there who knows what they're doing wrt PCR and get the ship shaped up

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, RochesterLifer said:

I work for a biotech that is heavily involved in COVID test development and production. A problem (not the only one, but one) is tests being administered by unqualified people. That has led to false positives. Testing has to be conducted according to procedure, by qualified health professionals. Results have too many implications to not be taken seriously. 

Clinical testing laboratories have certification standards for the people running the tests. 

However, surveillance testing (which is what the NFL is doing) has different standards.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

the 15 min tests are not reliable at all, that is why no major sports league uses them. 

the nasal swab is the most reliable as of now. its actually absurd how the NFL doesn't have their own lab to handle the test capacity. 

Need to distinguish between the sample collection method, and the diagnostic test being run

There are also several different swabs - nasopharangeal (brain-poking test), nasal swab (Q tip inside nostrils). 

Saliva, oropharangeal samples, nasal samples, nasopharangeal samples - all run by variants of RT-PCR, which is the most sensitive and reliable diagnostic test right now vs. any of those samples being run on the antigen test that's essentially a coin-flip for accuracy.

There are some rapid point-of-care RT-PCR tests that are reasonably accurate.  The Cepheid Xpert® Xpress SARS-CoV-2 has good evaluations and takes 30 minutes.  The issue here is that the NFL not only needs rapid turn around they need pretty high throughput (150 or so people per team per day).

It's not a simple thing to set up a lab to test human infectious agents. 

The FDA and the health department want it done right if you're going to do it, with defined procedures for everything from how the samples walk in the door, to how they're disposed of, proper record keeping, and a board-certified clinical pathologist overseeing results.  Then there's the equipment, the supply chain, and the qualified personnel to run the tests.  Cornell busted its hump all summer to convert the Cow Lab to run covid-19 samples, and it was already set up and certified to handle human infectious agents as a veterinary diagnostic facility.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

America is doing fine. Properly normalizing testing and taking into account the vast geographic scope and varying cold/flu hope-simpson seasonality for different regions, only NY/NJ/Mass. were negative outliers, compared to other western nations with potentially comparable coronavirus exposures (comparing to Pacific rim countries is not fair) and even those regions didn't see the doom that Italy saw

The NFL should not be anywhere near as quick-twitch panicky as it's likely going to be

Edited by arcane