Report: Bills have several players in for workout today. (Names unknown)

BillsMafi$

30 minutes ago, MJS said:

All 32 teams seem to have an issue with Clowney. He isn't as good as the money he wants.

Agreed.  He’s still good and he would ? improve our team. 

27 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Clowney would be an upgrade in talent at the position for the Bills.  The real issue is the money that he wants, his injury history. and some inconsistency in his play.  No doubt that when he is right and wants to perform, the guy can wreck a game.  It's not just McB that isn't interested.  There isn't serious interest around the league which is why he remains unsigned.  When the asking price becomes appropriate for the risk and performance, he will get signed.

Yup.  I hope it’s us

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Blokestradamus said:

Yep, head coach at Bethel.

I remember those halcyon days of him being weighed pre-draft using farm equipment.

I actually have his jersey. We're buds.

IMG-20200813-161703-2.jpg

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Westside Madness said:

My understanding is that teams need to have spots open on their rosters to bring in people for visits/workouts this year. I think Sal C has mentioned it a few times. SO, how many people did we cut ahead of the visit?

They recently changed something in regards to try outs, so I'm assuming that no longer applies.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I respectfully disagree on it making sense.  I get your points, and good reply, but here are my counter points to this.  To be clear, I would not at all be upset if we signed Clowney, I am saying it just does not make sense anymore after our off season.  

They are NOT going to sign Clowney for more than a year, thats what you are missing.  The priority is to save cap space to retain other players.  So no, it does not make sense to sign Clowney, because those "age" concerns are not relevant this year.  Clowney didn't even out produce Murphy last year, let alone out play Addison or Hughes.  So for this year, we are stacked at DE and have a stud rookie to mix in and develop as well.  Johnson isnt an unknown, and he narrowly out produced Clowney on the same Seahawk team last year.  He may not be as established as the guys ahead of him, but he is definitely not an unknown and more than capable to be a key part of the rotation with the upside to be even more.  

This is why outside of fan desire, it does not make football sense for the Buffalo Bills to sign him right now in terms of need.  The only exception would be to sign him to a longer deal, but that has 0% chance of happening.  One, Beane will never give him what he wants in order to sign a long term deal because his focus is on retaining White, Milano, then Edmunds, and Allen in the next couple of years.  Two, the only way Beane would do that is if Clowney took a MASSIVE cut in what he is looking for, and 0% Clowney does that.  He is looking for the best one year deal so he can prove his lofty price tag he is seeking.  

So again, there is just no way Clowney will be a Bill at any point this year barring injuries IMO.  Beane could prove me wrong, but I just don't see it.  Nor do I see Buffalo being at all attractive to Clowney...not because its the Bills, but because there is a lot of talent at DE already and he would be in a rotation here, not featured.  He wants to go somewhere he can put up big stats and be on the field a lot in order to get a big payday. Another 3 or 4 sack season and his search for a big contract will be all but lost.  He needs to hit at least 9, and preferably double digits for the first time in his career in order to get anywhere close to what he wants.  

And yes I know he makes a bigger impact than just "sacks", but when you want his kind of money he is seeking, you need the stats to get the check.  

Not sure how I’m missing this.  I never discussed signing him long term.  I hope it a one year deal at this point.  

Clowney out produced Murphy last year.  Please don’t say that Murphy was better, look at his sacks.   Murphy had more sacks than Hughes....Hughes was better.  Clowney was a much better player than Murphy was last year.  I can’t talk about this comparison again.  It hurts my brain.  

Johnson played for the Bills last year.  Nice start to his 7th rd draft picks career and a poor end.  Jefferson player for Seattle and wasn’t mentioned. I see him being used a lot as Oliver’s backup.  Losing star hurt our DT depth and Jefferson’s versatility, imo, will push him inside more often than DE.

You have no clue what it’s going to take to sign Clowney.  No clue if there are any teams that will give him his minimum asking price at the moment.   What happens when every team says he’s not worth that amount?  His price drops.  Guess what, it’s happening.  The number of years have already dropped imo.  12-15 mill for one year is a helluva lot better than 0 cents for 1 year.  Trent murphy can be cut and we’d take a 4-7 mill hit for one season.  Our DL would be significantly better with him replacing Murphy. He’d have a chance to showcase his talents on an already amazing D and formidable DL.  Imo, signing a one year deal with us is probably THE smartest deal he could make take, financially and on the field. 

So, the basis for your argument from what I’ve gathered:  it doesn’t make sense to sign Clowney because we won’t be able to resign Allen, White, milano, Edmunds.  Signing Clowney would put a wrench in those plans because there’s zero chance Clowney takes less money than he thinks he deserves on a 1 year deal? 

It’s really looking like he’s ? going to be taking less than he thinks he deserves.  Usually players in his current situation (overpricing himsef) settle on a one year deal, as opposed to a multi year deal that ties them into playing more than one year on a salary they think is below his self perceived value.  I think he signs one year somewhere.  

To summarize my opinion:  

Clowney is way better than Murphy.  

Clowney would improve our team.  

Improving our team gives us a better opportunity to win the super bowl this season.  

The 4 to 7-8 mill a year hit we’d take by signing Clowney and cutting Murphy is the price of improving our team and positioning ourselves to win a super bowl this year.

Clowney may very well sign a one year deal for less than what he thinks he’s he’s worth which allows us to resign the cornerstone players currently on the team.  

Signing Clowney at this point doesn’t mean a team will have to break the bank

I think he eventually signs with the Ravens, chiefs, Rams or Seattle.  1 year under 13 mill

3 hours ago, BillsMafi$ said:

I am hearing the Buffalo Bills have several players in for a workout/COVID-19 testing today.  Sounds like some big guys, possibly defensive lineman. Stay Tuned......

-per Nfldraftdiamonds on Twitter.

(reliable source)

Lol that account is the furthest thing from reliable dude who are you kidding?

1 hour ago, MiltonWaddams said:

They said I downed my 40 too damn slow! What’s your secret?!!

We talking Wild Turkey, or just Olde English 800?  ? 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Why yes he is, could he have been one of the “big name DL” visiting today? 

'Designated Loser'?

No, I don't like the Ryan brothers.  ?

• Haha (+1) 2