Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Royale with Cheese

Michael Lombardi "Bills have a huge hole at QB".

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Doc said:


Yes, scoring is such an overrated stat. You win games based on who had the better ranking in some other statistic. 🙄

We were the 23th ranked offense with the 2nd best defense in NFL!  Did we watch the same Bills last year?  Literally the only reason this team wasn’t a SB contender was because our offense. 
 

allen is a super good dude who works hard.  But his “potential” is a lot higher than what he has proven on the field.  I heard an interview with Matt Ryan and he said a coach told him the key to being a good QB is making the boring look sexy.  Allen makes the flash plays but he lack consistency and I don’t think it’s as easy to do as some of you.   We are going to have the discussion on Allen next offseason.  Great dude with all the tools but at some point, the proof is in the pudding.  There is absolutely no reason a top 10 pick shouldn’t be a superstar in the MWC. Allen has never been a superstar on any level. 

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

We were the 23th ranked offense with the 2nd best defense in NFL!  Did we watch the same Bills last year?  Literally the only reason this team wasn’t a SB contender was because our offense. 
 

allen is a super good dude who works hard.  But his “potential” is a lot higher than what he has proven on the field.  I heard an interview with Matt Ryan and he said a coach told him the key to being a good QB is making the boring look sexy.  Allen makes the flash plays but he lack consistency and I don’t think it’s as easy to do as some of you.   We are going to have the discussion on Allen next offseason.  Great dude with all the tools but at some point, the proof is in the pudding.  There is absolutely no reason a top 10 pick shouldn’t be a superstar in the MWC. Allen has never been a superstar on any level. 

 

Yes, we all know that the offense held the team back last year, namely at #2 WR and #2 RB.  Which is why they went after Diggs and drafted Moss.  If Knox can fix his drop problem, it's gravy.

 

We'll see what discussion we have next year.  I'd rather let things play out than speculate on what it might be about.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Doc said:

 

Yes, we all know that the offense held the team back last year, namely at #2 WR and #2 RB.  Which is why they went after Diggs and drafted Moss.  If Knox can fix his drop problem, it's gravy.

 

We'll see what discussion we have next year.  I'd rather let things play out than speculate on what it might be about.

 

 

Completely fair and I genuinely hope you are right.  I think as Bills fans, we ignore fatal flaws with qbs because we hope for the best rather than look at objectively.  That said, Allen is in an amazing situation and I just hope we know if he’s the real deal after next year.  I do believe he is a really good dude and hope you are right. But qb is the biggest question mark on this team and every nonBills fan would agree with that.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Doc said:

 

Yes, we all know that the offense held the team back last year, namely at #2 WR and #2 RB.  Which is why they went after Diggs and drafted Moss.  If Knox can fix his drop problem, it's gravy.

 

We'll see what discussion we have next year.  I'd rather let things play out than speculate on what it might be about.

 

 

This ^^^
 

Buffalo lost that playoff game on the passes not caught that were totally catchable, it always takes two to tango in the passing game. Yes Allen needs to get better, that’s a no brainer,  but our receivers let us down repeatedly last season, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Don Otreply said:

This ^^^
 

Buffalo lost that playoff game on the passes not caught that were totally catchable, it always takes two to tango in the passing game. Yes Allen needs to get better, that’s a no brainer,  but our receivers let us down repeatedly last season, 

No other QBs has receivers drop passes.  Fact.

 

imagine Mitch T’s numbers if his receivers were better!!!  https://scores.nbcsports.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

No other QBs has receivers drop passes.  Fact.

 

imagine Mitch T’s numbers if his receivers were better!!!  https://scores.nbcsports.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

Not saying dropped passes don’t happen to every receiver, regardless of team, did I not state that Allen needs to get better and that it’s a no brainer that he does? Are you sayin that it doesn’t take two to tango in the passing game? If so I can’t wait to hear why, 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Not saying dropped passes don’t happen to every receiver, regardless of team, did I not state that Allen needs to get better and that it’s a no brainer that he does? Are you sayin that it doesn’t take two to tango in the passing game? If so I can’t wait to hear why, 😁

All I’ve ever said is that maybe the guy who has never completed 60% of his passes on any level, including a low level D 1 conference ,might be more of the reason than the receivers.  
 

again, I hope everyone here is right about Allen.  This team is good enough to win even with below average qb play.  But with a legit good qb, this team can make SB noise.  I pray that Allen surprises the hell out of me. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

All I’ve ever said is that maybe the guy who has never completed 60% of his passes on any level, including a low level D 1 conference ,might be more of the reason than the receivers.  
 

again, I hope everyone here is right about Allen.  This team is good enough to win even with below average qb play.  But with a legit good qb, this team can make SB noise.  I pray that Allen surprises the hell out of me. 

All everyone has ever said from the get go is that Allen needs to get better and it’s a no brainer... not a soul has said otherwise.  league wide though, it’s not the QBs who are dropping passes is it... ?  

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

We were the 23th ranked offense with the 2nd best defense in NFL!  Did we watch the same Bills last year?  Literally the only reason this team wasn’t a SB contender was because our offense. 
 

allen is a super good dude who works hard.  But his “potential” is a lot higher than what he has proven on the field.  I heard an interview with Matt Ryan and he said a coach told him the key to being a good QB is making the boring look sexy.  Allen makes the flash plays but he lack consistency and I don’t think it’s as easy to do as some of you.   We are going to have the discussion on Allen next offseason.  Great dude with all the tools but at some point, the proof is in the pudding.  There is absolutely no reason a top 10 pick shouldn’t be a superstar in the MWC. Allen has never been a superstar on any level. 


We had 2 returning players from our 2018 offense on last years squad.Did you think they were gonna light up the scoreboard?  Allen has made improvements and the offense has made improvements,  there is no reason think it won’t continue. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Too funny not to share 

 

 


 

That’s definitely me when someone does the “can’t hit the broadside of a barn!!!1!1!1” routine (or repeats any other tired narrative that doesn’t hold water).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Too funny not to share 

 

 

I stole this but the Scarface sequel looks terrible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, BananaB said:


We had 2 returning players from our 2018 offense on last years squad.Did you think they were gonna light up the scoreboard?  Allen has made improvements and the offense has made improvements,  there is no reason think it won’t continue. 

Eh. There was no gradual improvement throughout the season.

 

Just inconsistent all the way through.

 

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Eh. There was no gradual improvement throughout the season.

 

Just inconsistent all the way through.

 

Yup.  They would have a good drive or 2 and then go into quarter droughts of doing nothing . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2020 at 12:42 PM, Bulldog said:

These self proclaimed "experts: who continue to parrot the "you can't improve accuracy" theory have no credibility. I am no expert on the development of NFL quarterbacks, but I am capable of accessing some basic statistics on NFL quarterbacks. Here are two examples - two great quarterbacks - one a "gunslinger" and the other a precision/accuracy type QB:

 

Brett Favre  -- 1991-2001 Average Completion Percentage   ---  60.96%

                          2002-2010 Average Completion Percentage   --   63.32%

 

Drew Brees -- 2002-2010 Average Completion Percentage   -- 64.89%

                         2011-2019 Average Completion Percentage   -- 70.12%

 

Did these two all-time greats not improve their accuracy over time?

 

I really wonder what passes for journalism these days - You can't improve accuracy? What nonsense!

 

I don't have the time or patience to look up additional QB stats - but I dare to guess that some improvement over time is common place in the QB profession.

 

No wonder that the media has lost so much credibility in recent years -- no standards of performance for them. I must have picked the wrong profession. 

 

 

 

  

Favre’s numbers only very slightly improved.  In fact, he became less accurate relative to the rest of the league after his 7th season as a starter.  He was top 10 in each of his first 7 seasons and led the league in season 7.  He was 20th in the league the next 2 seasons.

 

Brees improved for sure, but he was never inaccurate compared to the rest of the league. During that first stretch, he averaged finishing 7th in the league in completion percentage.  
 

Allen has been dead last each of his first 2 seasons.  There is simply no comparison.  Even going back 30 seasons to cherry pick comparisons, you still came up with one player who went from above average to start his career and stayed at that level (Favre) and a guy who was very accurate to start his career and became extremely accurate (Brees).  
 

It is not common for QBs to make huge strides in accuracy relative to the rest of the league.  That’s not to say it’s impossible, but if Josh does it, 20 years from now you’ll see every fan of a young, inaccurate QB point to him as the guy who proved it could be done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2020 at 9:19 AM, SCBills said:


The hot take/clickbait title of “Bills have a huge hole at QB” is extremely obnoxious.  
 

What I would say is we hopefully have our Franchise QB, and this year will show a lot given Year 1, he had some of the worst weapons in the NFL, with a terrible OL and Year 2, he had an OL in its first year together, with average weapons.  
 

No “Franchise QB” should need an All-Star team around him, but a solid OL, a couple talented young RBs and this WR/TE unit is on par with what most teams have around their Franchise guys.  

Brees has guys like Thomas and Kamara. 

Jackson has an elite OL, good backs and filthy TEs. 
 

Mayfield, may or may not be the guy, but has elite weapons.  
 

Matt Ryan has elite WRs. 
 

Mahomes has filthy talent all over. 
 

Watson “had” Hopkins - and id argue he did the most with less when it comes to franchise guys. 
 

Even Jimmy G had elite backs/OL and Kittle/Deebo 

 

List goes on and on.... We had Allen throwing to Duke Williams in a Playoff Game with a rookie RB as Brown/Beasley (who are good complimentary pieces) proved that they are complimentary pieces. 
 

 

 

At least the excuses will end this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2020 at 8:59 AM, prissythecat said:

Are we doomed then?

No, we're just going to need to find a new QB.

 

This is nothing new and has been brewing for several seasons.

 

It all comes to a boiling point this year, if there is a "this year."


If not, it will come to a boiling point next year.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Eh. There was no gradual improvement throughout the season.

 

Just inconsistent all the way through.

 


Actually there was until we ran into 3 top 5 defences in our final 4 weeks of play. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

No, we're just going to need to find a new QB.

 

This is nothing new and has been brewing for several seasons.

 

It all comes to a boiling point this year, if there is a "this year."


If not, it will come to a boiling point next year.

 

 

 

 

If it's not this year...or next year...will it be the year after next year?  And if it isn't this year...or next year...or the year after next year...will it be the year after the year after next year?  And if it isn't this year...or next year...or the year after next year...or the year after the year after next year...will it be the year after the year after the year after next year?  And if it's not this year... !@#@ it!

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First off completion% isn't really related to QB accuracy. It's more of a general offensive metric that's as dependent on things like system and pass catchers as it is on how accurately the QB delivers the ball. It just gets applied to quarterbacks. 

 

Second there are a bunch of examples of QBs raising their comp% over the course of their careers, especially as it relates to their early seasons vs as they mature, get a better feel for the game, etc. Eli Manning was a 55.5% thrower his first 3 years in the league and finished his career a 60% guy. Matt Ryan's first 3 years put him at 60.6% and he ended up a career 65.4% thrower. Brees the accuracy dude was 61.3% through three years and now sits at a ridiculous 67.6% career completions. Did the game 'slow down' for them (and many other quarterbacks whose comp% shows similar trajectory as they age?) and allow them to complete a higher percentage of passes? Yes. Did an influx of offensive talent at receiver tend to raise completion% as they were picked up in draft/FA? Yes. Does an improved offensive line correlate to a higher comp% (yes), or a system (existing or implemented later) that features a pass catching RB mean that QB will tend to have a higher comp%? (again yes). 

 

Saying QBs don't improve their completion percentage over time is wrong. Acting like comp% is a measure of accuracy is dumb. 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...