Michael Lombardi "Bills have a huge hole at QB".

7 minutes ago, Rubes said:

"Maybe a 5-12 kind of guy" sure sounds like a legitimate starter to me. Unless there are only 4-5 "legitimate starters" in the entire league.

I agree.  A QB who is regularly in the top 12 is a legitimate starter.  May fall out once in a while, but generally in to the top 12 and occasionally in the top 5, that's a legit starter.  Might never win a Super Bowl. 

If Allen is one of those and Mahomes goes to the Hall of Fame, yeah, some people might remember that, but if Allen's been a legit starter, nobody will bet all that excited about it.  I'm sure there are some Falcons fans who cherry pick drafts and talk about what the Falcons might have done if they hadn't taken Ryan.  Stafford in Detroit.  If Allen turns out like that, I'm happy.  I'm expecting more, both because I want more and because I think actually is a HOF candidate, but legit starter I'm not going to be complaining about. 

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Mahomes and Watson?

I agree they are far from the HOF at present but the success is undeniable and unlike Jackson, not entirely built on fleet feet and a specialized scheme.

Of course, I always point out Jackson, too, may develop - we believe Allen will, so why can't Jackson?

Whoops.  Actually I meant Mahomes and Jackson, but Watson is the third to go on the list. If any of those guys can have ten years like they've started, those are HOF players. All of them make it Allen turns into an average, then the Bills did some bad QB drafting. But pull those guys down a rung and move Allen up a little.  Say one makes the HOF and the others are solid guys, I'm not whining that the Bills missed the HOF guy.   

7 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I can't put much stock in a piece so badly written and edited.  I do not know if it's Lombardi's fault, Parrino's fault, or Parrino's editor's fault.  Looks like the work of a grade 9 student, written on the school bus on the way to school the morning the assignment was due.

That was my first impression.  I could write a better article in my sleep on the exact same position.  

7 hours ago, Jpsredemption said:

Is anything he said not true? The 24th ranked offense in the league but they have a franchise quarterback? 

Agree 100% !!! 
Until we find a QB who’s still on his rookie contract who can win 10 games and take this team to the playoffs there’s no reason to get excited...

GOOO BILLS !!!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Putin said:

Agree 100% !!! 
Until we find a QB who’s still on his rookie contract who can win 10 games and take this team to the playoffs there’s no reason to get excited...

GOOO BILLS !!!

We should be mad that he didn’t win at least 11 games, but he messed up and had locked up his playoff spot already. 

I’m not giving him the click. As long as Josh keeps making progress, I’m happy. I think he’ll do that.

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, buffalobillswin said:

Remember when Mike Lombardi said the eagles needed to fire their coach to have any shot at a Super Bowl. Then they won the Super Bowl with a backup two months later?

That was priceless.

He’s a complete moron. 

It certainly wasn't a shining moment to showcase his football acumen. 

I'm waiting for the links where he extolled the virtues of Lamar Jackson prior to the 2018 draft.  Certainly the GMs and scouts of 30 teams other than the Bills didn't "get the flick"

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think we'll find the pre-2018 draft "hot takes" from Lombardi extolling Jackson as the superior QB choice.

I don’t understand what you’re getting at here.  It sounds like you’re suggesting that, unless Lombardi advocated drafting Jackson early in the first round he can’t now, with 2 years of additional information, acknowledge that Jackson is better than the highly touted QBs from that class.  

I didn’t know who Tom Brady was in 1999.  Now, I think he’s better than Chad Pennington.  What does one have to do with the other?

8 hours ago, Jpsredemption said:

Is anything he said not true? The 24th ranked offense in the league but they have a franchise quarterback? 

I am thinking the part of putting the Baltimore QB in Josh Allen's place and then all of a sudden they would have a QB is definately not true.

Baltimore's QB relies on being an athlete even more then Josh does

He mentions that the Bills picked Allen over Jackson and now have to deal with the inaccuracies. Hey Mike! You know what other teams picked a QB before Jackson? 

EVERYONE!!!!!!

33 minutes ago, Putin said:

Agree 100% !!! 

GOOO BILLS !!!

Well said. I ? what you did. ?

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

Allen doesn't have an "obligation" to put it to rest, but unless he does so by becoming a great QB, it will likely follow him forever.  FTR, if Mayfield and Darnold don't develop into great QBs, it's  going to follow them as well, but what makes it worse for Allen is that the Bills also passed on another great QB in 2017.

Josh has nothing to do or tied to anything in 2017.  

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I am thinking the part of putting the Baltimore QB in Josh Allen's place and then all of a sudden they would have a QB is definately not true.

Baltimore's QB relies on being an athlete even more then Josh does

We all saw ( more then once ) how well L Jackson performed once he couldn’t rely on the running game , when he actually had to stay in the pocket and throw the ball !! 

55 minutes ago, Billl said:

I don’t understand what you’re getting at here.  It sounds like you’re suggesting that, unless Lombardi advocated drafting Jackson early in the first round he can’t now, with 2 years of additional information, acknowledge that Jackson is better than the highly touted QBs from that class.  

I didn’t know who Tom Brady was in 1999.  Now, I think he’s better than Chad Pennington.  What does one have to do with the other?

Not at all.  I'm suggesting that unless Lombardi and other teams recognized Jackson's quality prior to the 2018 draft, it's disingenuous to retroactively second guess the Bills draft decisions.  Lombardi is quoted as saying: "But they picked Josh Allen over Lamar and you’re gonna have to deal with some of these inaccuracies,” Lombardi said.

It's one thing for Lombardi to say "I now think Jackson is a better QB than Allen, Darnold and Mayfield"

It's another thing for Lombardi to say "But the Jets picked Darnold over Jackson, and they're gonna have to deal with his fumbles" (were that the thing holding the Jets back).  And Jackson, while he had a stellar completion percentage, had gaps in his QB repetoire of throws last year which several teams exploited to slow the offense and which the Titans utilized to shut him down.

Your analogy would be to saying "If the Jets had drafted Brady, they could have won a couple Championships.  But the Jets picked Pennington over Brady, and they're going to have to deal with his noodle arm".  It's one thing for you to say "I now think Brady is better than any other QB who was drafted in 2000 and one of the GOAT".  It's another thing for you to be revisionist and second-guess the 2000 draft board for the 32 teams who passed on him 6 times.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Right, I mean, how far back do we take this? 

"Oh noes the Bills passed on Tom Brady 6x in 2000!"

"We passed on Drew Brees in 2001!" 

"And 2005 - Aaron Rodgers - Damn their eyes!"

I wanted them to draft a QB.  Couldn't believe they didn't.  But I get it, McDermott was never going to hitch his QB wagon to Whaley (on his way out the door).

1 hour ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Allen will always be linked to Patrick Mahomes because the Bills passed on him in 2017.  It's not fair for Allen but that's the way people will think of him unless he develops into a good enough QB to make his own narrative.

2 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Allen will always be linked to Patrick Mahomes because the Bills passed on him in 2017.  It's not fair for Allen but that's the way people will think of him unless he develops into a good enough QB to make his own narrative.

That’s BS.  You can play that stupid rationale thought with most anyone.  

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Let's Wait and See really means "I'm not willing to offer an opinion."  It's a yes or no question.  Do you think he'll make it as legitimate starter in the NFL?  Yes or No. 

I've hedged my bet, didn't like the selection initially. But in viewing I'm cursing Daboll's play calling an order of magnitude more than Allen's execution. To my eye test, he's looking the part of a plus NFL QB more often than not, and is trending upward. He reminds me more of early Favre than early Locker. I want to believe.

10 hours ago, Jpsredemption said:

I think Lombardi only watched the games he mentioned. Josh wasn't asked to do much. Our offense wasn't great around him. He is a solid middle of the pack QB and with this defense that is good enough. Plus, he is only improving. Good things to come....