“Cancel” / Knee-Jerk Culture of 2020 and beyond

Interesting

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/07/politics/fact-check-trump-cancel-culture-boycotts-firings/index.html

A list of people and things Donald Trump tried to get canceled before he railed against 'cancel culture'

Here's the list in chronological order.

August 2012: Trump says Black journalist Touré, then a co-host of the MSNBC show "The Cycle," should be "forced to resign" for comments in which Touré uttered a variant of the N-word while arguing that Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney was using racially coded language to try to make President Barack Obama seem frightening. (Touré had apologized before Trump's demand.)
November 2012: Trump suggests the firing of then-MSNBC host Chris Matthews for saying, on the night of Obama's victory, that he was "so glad" Hurricane Sandy had occurred, because of its political impact. (Matthews had apologized before Trump's suggestion.)
December 2012: Trump calls for the firing of Vanity Fair magazine Editor Graydon Carter, with whom he had feuded for years, over what he declares the magazine's "worst ever issue."
December 2012: Trump says "Scots should boycott Glenfiddich garbage" because the whisky brand selected Michael Forbes, a farmer who refused to sell his land to make way for a Trump golf course, as "Top Scot" of the year.
March 2013: Trump says, "Everyone should cancel HBO until they fire low life dummy Bill Maher! Get going now and feel good about yourself!"
July 2013: Trump asks people to "boycott & cancel subscriptions" to Rolling Stone magazine because of a cover featuring Boston Marathon terrorist Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.
October 2013: Trump urges "everybody possible" to "cancel their subscription" to New York Magazine over an insulting tweet about Trump's marriage from Dan Amira, who was online editor at the time.
March 2014: After Trump is left off a CNBC list of the most influential business leaders, he says, "Stupid poll should be canceled—no credibility."
May 2014: Trump calls for the firing of, or at least an apology from, the person at The Oklahoman newspaper who wrote a headline calling then-Oklahoma City Thunder NBA star Kevin Durant "Mr. Unreliable." (The newspaper had already apologized.)
June 2014: Trump says people should "Boycott Mexico" until a Marine reservist who was jailed for crossing the border with loaded guns is released from prison. (He was released later in the year.)
April 2015: Trump suggests that conservative writer Jonah Goldberg, then a senior editor of National Review magazine, should be forced to resign for writing that Trump had been "tweeting like a 14-year-old girl" in response to another conservative writer calling Trump a clown. Trump also suggests Fox News anchor Bret Baier should stop having Goldberg on his show.
June 2015: When Spanish-language television network Univision severed its business relationship with Trump after his campaign launch speech, in which he labeled Mexican immigrants as criminals and rapists, Trump tweets, "Anyone who wants strong borders and good trade deals for the US should boycott @Univision."
July 2015: Trump calls for a boycott of Macy's after Macy's discontinued its business dealings with him over those same comments about people from Mexico. Trump also tweets "Great" when someone tells him that people are canceling their Macy's credit cards.
August 2015: Trump calls for the firing of the late conservative writer and Fox News commentator Charles Krauthammer, a regular Trump critic.
September 2015: After National Review editor Rich Lowry argued on Fox News that rival Republican candidate Carly Fiorina had "cut off (Trump's) balls with the precision of a surgeon" in a primary debate, Trump says: "Incompetent @RichLowry lost it tonight on @FoxNews. He should not be allowed on TV and the FCC should fine him!" (Lowry responds, "I love how Mr. Anti-PC now wants the FCC to fine me. #pathetic.")
December 2015: Trump calls for the firing of then-CBS News journalist Sopan Deb and NBC/MSNBC journalist Katy Tur over reporting he disputed about how he handled protesters during a rally speech.
February 2016: Trump says people should "boycott all Apple products" until the company stops fighting a government request to break into the cell phone of a deceased California terrorist.
February 2016: Trump says Fox News should fire Republican strategist and commentator Karl Rove for being insufficiently positive about his victory in the Nevada caucuses.
February 2016: Trump calls on the Wall Street Journal to fire its editorial board, which had criticized him, and its pollster, which showed results he didn't like.
March 2016: Trump proposes a boycott of Megyn Kelly's Fox News show, complaining that it is too negative toward him.
September 2016: After the Dallas Morning News and Arizona Republic newspapers endorse Hillary Clinton for president and USA Today declares Trump unfit for the office, Trump says, "The people are really smart in cancelling subscriptions to the Dallas & Arizona papers & now USA Today will lose readers! The people get it!"
September 2017: Trump tweets that NFL players and other athletes who don't stand for the National Anthem should be told, "YOU'RE FIRED." He says in another tweet, "Fire or suspend!" And at a rally, he says, "Wouldn't you love to see one of these NFL owners when somebody disrespects our flag to say, 'Get that son of a B word off the field right now, out, he's fired, he's fired.' "
October 2017: Suggesting he could use the power of the state against media entities he dislikes, Trump muses about challenging the broadcast licenses of NBC and other networks over their news coverage. (He again broached the subject of reviewing NBC's license in September 2018.)
November 2017: Trump calls for a boycott of CNN.
August 2018: Trump tweets, "Many @harleydavidson owners plan to boycott the company if manufacturing moves overseas. Great! Most other companies are coming in our direction, including Harley competitors."
June 2019: Trump suggests people stop "using or subscribing" to AT&T to pressure the company to make changes at CNN, which it owns.
September 2019: Trump suggests that actress Debra Messing should be fired for calling on a news outlet to publish the names of people attending a Trump fundraiser and for a tweet promoting a church sign that said "a black vote for Trump is mental illness." (Messing had apologized for the tweet about the church sign.)
January 2020: Trump says The New York Times should fire columnist Paul Krugman, a winner of the Nobel Prize in economics, for having incorrectly predicted a global recession after Trump's victory in 2016.
May 2020: The day after Twitter appended a fact check link to dishonest Trump claims about mail-in voting, Trump threatens to shut down social media companies: "Republicans feel that Social Media Platforms totally silence conservatives voices. We will strongly regulate, or close them down, before we can ever allow this to happen."
May 2020: Trump seeks the firing of Chuck Todd, host of NBC's "Meet the Press," for the show playing a misleadingly shortened clip of comments by Attorney General William Barr. (Todd apologized, saying it was an inadvertent mistake.) Again broaching the power of the state, Trump tags the accounts of the Federal Communications Commission, which regulates television, and its chairman, Ajit Pai.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

It is wrong, no matter who does it ..............

Still, the reaction is usually funny.

?

#Journalism: Ivanka Trump Promotes Goya Foods ‘Buycott’ on Twitter Feed, and Mainstream Media Loses It

Edited by B-Man
  • Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

Agree to disagree with this - mostly because what is usually called "cancel culture" hardly ever cancels anyone/anything.

Sans Colin Kaepernick, who/what has been effectively cancelled? 

How so?

New Disney deal. Nike golden boy. What other people get more popular and more endorsements as they become mediocre?

Edited by LB3
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

Good point. It can be argued that CK wasn't effectively cancelled. 

Louis CK was canceled for a while.

Larry Nassar was rightfully and permanently canceled.

6 minutes ago, LB3 said:

Louis CK was canceled for a while.

For awhile - yes

6 minutes ago, LB3 said:

Larry Nassar was rightfully and permanently canceled.

I'm not sure criminals/pedophiles count toward "Cancel Culture" - they're effectively cancelled by the government when they get arrested/indicted. Although, many criminals become more popular after their arrests/trials - this would be a whole different category in my opinion. 

Edited by wAcKy ZeBrA

“Cancel culture is real and getting worse due to Black Lives Matter orthodoxy”

Posted by William A. Jacobson  ▪  July 15, 2020

Art Museum Curator Resigns After Petition Accuses Him of Racism for Not Excluding White Artists

Posted by Mike LaChance  

You read that right.................He was racist, because he didn't exclude anybody.

:wallbash:
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Trump's IG page

I truly love how he trolls the left.

He has them so unhinged they can't even see straight. But they especially deserve the Goya pushback. The idea that everyone should boycott a company ONLY because the CEO said something nice about the president is, without question, one of the most childish things I've seen in some time.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, IDBillzFan said:

He has them so unhinged they can't even see straight. But they especially deserve the Goya pushback. The idea that everyone should boycott a company ONLY because the CEO said something nice about the president is, without question, one of the most childish things I've seen in some time.

It is the taco bowl all over again...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, B-Man said:

Museum Curator Resigns After Petition Accuses Him of Racism for Not Excluding White Artists

Posted by Mike LaChance  

You read that right.................He was racist, because he didn't exclude anybody.

:wallbash:

“Gary’s removal from SFMOMA is non-negotiable,” the petition’s authors wrote. “Considering his lengthy tenure at this institution, we ask just how long have his toxic white supremacist beliefs regarding race and equity directed his position curating the content of the museum?”

In his email to staff on Saturday, Garrels said, “I want to offer my personal and sincere apology to every one of you. I realized almost as soon as I used the term ‘reverse discrimination’ that this is an offensive term and was an extremely poor choice of words on my part. I am very sorry at how upsetting these words were to many staff.”  F*ck Off!

There you go Gary.  I fixed your email to them.  What a ***** weenie you are Gary. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

...better get your checkbooks ready...............

North Carolina city approves ‘reparations,’ apologizes for role in slavery

The council voted 7-0 on a measure to mitigate racial disparities

North Carolina’s Asheville City Council apologized for its role in slavery and racial discrimination, voting unanimously to provide reparations in the form of community investments to help Black residents.

The council voted 7-0 on Tuesday night on the measure to mitigate racial disparities. The reparations will not provide direct cash payments, as some have suggested, but will provide investments in housing, health care and career growth in Black neighborhoods.

Councilwoman Shaneika Smith, who is Black, said the council had gotten emails from those "asking, 'Why should we pay for what happened during slavery?'"

"[Slavery] is this institution that serves as the starting point for the building of the strong economic floor for white America, while attempting to keep Blacks subordinate forever to its progress," said Smith, as reported by the Asheville Citizen Times.

The resolution calls on the city to create a Community Reparations Commission to make concrete recommendations of where to funnel programs and resources.

"The resulting budgetary and programmatic priorities may include but not be limited to increasing minority home ownership and access to other affordable housing, increasing minority business ownership and career opportunities, strategies to grow equity and generational wealth, closing the gaps in health care, education, employment and pay, neighborhood safety and fairness within criminal justice," the resolution reads.

"Hundreds of years of black blood spilled that basically fills the cup we drink from today," said Councilman Keith Young, who is one of two African American city council members and spearheaded the proposal.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/north-carolina-city-approves-reparations-apologizes-for-role-in-slavery

32 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

I'm waiting for him to say "water is very good and you should drink it every day!" 

19 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

North Carolina’s Asheville City Council apologized for its role in slavery and racial discrimination, voting unanimously to provide reparations in the form of community investments to help Black residents.

The council voted 7-0 on Tuesday night on the measure to mitigate racial disparities. The reparations will not provide direct cash payments, as some have suggested, but will provide investments in housing, health care and career growth in Black neighborhoods.

Councilwoman Shaneika Smith, who is Black, said the council had gotten emails from those "asking, 'Why should we pay for what happened during slavery?'"

"[Slavery] is this institution that serves as the starting point for the building of the strong economic floor for white America, while attempting to keep Blacks subordinate forever to its progress," said Smith, as reported by the Asheville Citizen Times.

The resolution calls on the city to create a Community Reparations Commission to make concrete recommendations of where to funnel programs and resources.

"The resulting budgetary and programmatic priorities may include but not be limited to increasing minority home ownership and access to other affordable housing, increasing minority business ownership and career opportunities, strategies to grow equity and generational wealth, closing the gaps in health care, education, employment and pay, neighborhood safety and fairness within criminal justice," the resolution reads.

"Hundreds of years of black blood spilled that basically fills the cup we drink from today," said Councilman Keith Young, who is one of two African American city council members and spearheaded the proposal.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/north-carolina-city-approves-reparations-apologizes-for-role-in-slavery

My wife and I enjoy driving up to Asheville, NC, (about 4 hours) now and then. Some good restaurants, beautiful scenery, and the Biltmore Estate is a great place to stay.

With that said, the above doesn't surprise me. Asheville is as white, liberal, and elitist as they come - and I am sure the guilt over their white priviledge is all consuming about now...

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Sounds to me they've only approved allowing Federal Government (read Trump/Carson) Urban Enterprise Zones? SO now the question is, what specifically is Asheville doing the UEZ isn't doing?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Cinga said:

Sounds to me they've only approved allowing Federal Government (read Trump/Carson) Urban Enterprise Zones? SO now the question is, what specifically is Asheville doing the UEZ isn't doing?

It's nothing different than what's happening and has happened for years all over the country. They're dressing it up as "reparations" for feel good purposes.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

My wife and I enjoy driving up to Asheville, NC, (about 4 hours) now and then. Some good restaurants, beautiful scenery, and the Biltmore Estate is a great place to stay.

With that said, the above doesn't surprise me. Asheville is as white, liberal, and elitist as they come - and I am sure the guilt over their white priviledge is all consuming about now...

Yep. Portland east.

• Like (+1) 1

The below piece is about an attempt by the cancel culture to go after Steven Pinker. It reminds me of all the energy people here dedicate to "linking" folks in guilt-by-association conspiracies. I know this won't move most of you but consider this: Cancel culture is bad on both sides. On the left, it's more mainstream. On the right, it's still a bit fringey but mainstream here at PPP.

https://www.city-journal.org/steven-pinker-letter?fbclid=IwAR2k0ZJzHCoyhBs6wXhI3pPnxlNjuvLx6aZe_fUYZNzpgsKy4SEL3-7v7Cs

Guilt by association is a key tactic of this kind of attack, not because it is particularly convincing but because it makes an implicit threat that anyone who disagrees with the letter can be caught up in the smear campaign. Pinker is accused of public support for New York Times columnist David Brooks, of calling Bernard Goetz “mild-mannered,” and of providing expert linguistic support used in Jeffrey Epstein’s trial. The David Brooks reference is baffling; Brooks is no fringe figure. One imagines that Pinker’s reference to Goetz was to his demeanor, not a defense of his actions. However terrible Epstein’s crimes were, he deserved a fair trial, including the right to argue over the meaning of the statute under which he was being prosecuted. The letter presents no evidence that Pinker’s linguistic advice was incorrect. (The authors confuse “testimony” with “testimonial”—either a smear or a lamentable lapse of linguistic competence.) There’s also an incomprehensible reverse guilt-by-association charge: Pinker quoted Harvard professor Lawrence Bobo on racism. But the authors of the letter like Bobo, so they accuse Pinker of “co-opting his academic work.”

The first substantive charge, as opposed to smear, is that Pinker has not acknowledged or addressed the role of linguistics in the “reproduction” of racism. Regardless of what “reproducing” racism means, as opposed to “promoting” or “defending” it, the authors don’t accuse Pinker of believing the field of linguistics is on balance on the right side in the fight against racism—only of not saying loudly and clearly enough that it’s on the wrong side. This is another McCarthyite tactic. It’s not enough to be innocent; you must broadcast your support and denounce others.

The next charge is that Pinker “has a tendency to move in the proximity” of “scientific racism.” Indirect charges were another feature of Red Scare smears. The letter provides no specific quotes, no definition of what separates legitimate scientific inquiry into the effect of genetics on human behavior from racism. If you’re going to throw someone out of your linguistics society, tell him what he said that offended you, and ask him what he meant first. Don’t claim “tendencies” to “move in in the proximity” of ill-defined concepts without specific evidence.

15 minutes ago, shoshin said:

The below piece is about an attempt by the cancel culture to go after Steven Pinker. It reminds me of all the energy people here dedicate to "linking" folks in guilt-by-association conspiracies. I know this won't move most of you but consider this: Cancel culture is bad on both sides. On the left, it's more mainstream. On the right, it's still a bit fringey but mainstream here at PPP.

https://www.city-journal.org/steven-pinker-letter?fbclid=IwAR2k0ZJzHCoyhBs6wXhI3pPnxlNjuvLx6aZe_fUYZNzpgsKy4SEL3-7v7Cs

Guilt by association is a key tactic of this kind of attack, not because it is particularly convincing but because it makes an implicit threat that anyone who disagrees with the letter can be caught up in the smear campaign. Pinker is accused of public support for New York Times columnist David Brooks, of calling Bernard Goetz “mild-mannered,” and of providing expert linguistic support used in Jeffrey Epstein’s trial. The David Brooks reference is baffling; Brooks is no fringe figure. One imagines that Pinker’s reference to Goetz was to his demeanor, not a defense of his actions. However terrible Epstein’s crimes were, he deserved a fair trial, including the right to argue over the meaning of the statute under which he was being prosecuted. The letter presents no evidence that Pinker’s linguistic advice was incorrect. (The authors confuse “testimony” with “testimonial”—either a smear or a lamentable lapse of linguistic competence.) There’s also an incomprehensible reverse guilt-by-association charge: Pinker quoted Harvard professor Lawrence Bobo on racism. But the authors of the letter like Bobo, so they accuse Pinker of “co-opting his academic work.”

The first substantive charge, as opposed to smear, is that Pinker has not acknowledged or addressed the role of linguistics in the “reproduction” of racism. Regardless of what “reproducing” racism means, as opposed to “promoting” or “defending” it, the authors don’t accuse Pinker of believing the field of linguistics is on balance on the right side in the fight against racism—only of not saying loudly and clearly enough that it’s on the wrong side. This is another McCarthyite tactic. It’s not enough to be innocent; you must broadcast your support and denounce others.

The next charge is that Pinker “has a tendency to move in the proximity” of “scientific racism.” Indirect charges were another feature of Red Scare smears. The letter provides no specific quotes, no definition of what separates legitimate scientific inquiry into the effect of genetics on human behavior from racism. If you’re going to throw someone out of your linguistics society, tell him what he said that offended you, and ask him what he meant first. Don’t claim “tendencies” to “move in in the proximity” of ill-defined concepts without specific evidence.

It appears this campaign against Pinker is being orchestrated by people on the left. Am I mistaken about this? I am sure there are fringe people on the right engaging in this type of behavior; however, the cancel culture in this country is overwhelmingly populated by the left.

EDIT: BTW, I am against this type of behavior, regardless of ideology, politics, etc. I believe it is reprehensible behavior to attempt to destroy a person, socially, economically, or in any way, simply because their views or opinions are different.

Edited by billsfan1959

6 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

It appears this campaign against Pinker is being orchestrated by people on the left. Am I mistaken about this? I am sure there are fringe people on the right engaging in this type of behavior; however, the cancel culture in this country is overwhelmingly populated by the left.

EDIT: BTW, I am against this type of behavior, regardless of ideology, politics, etc. I believe it is reprehensible behavior to attempt to destroy a person, socially, economically, or in any way, simply because their views or opinions are different.

....civil discourse has long since gone to Hell.....dare to have a differing opinion?......

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

How can they even think that censoring people that they disagree with has any place in a free society?  What’s the purpose of this. 

They aren’t trying to have a free society. This is the ultimate struggle of individualism against collectivism. Dangerous stuff! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

They aren’t trying to have a free society. This is the ultimate struggle of individualism against collectivism. Dangerous stuff! 

I get that. But my question is what is their goal and what is their issue with individual thought?  And the bigger question is how do we fight it?  

11 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

How can they even think that censoring people that they disagree with has any place in a free society?  What’s the purpose of this. 

Because they have no interest in a free society.

5 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I get that. But my question is what is their goal and what is their issue with individual thought?  And the bigger question is how do we fight it?  

Read any of Ayn Rand’s novels. She lived through it. This is dangerous stuff. It’s the Winners and makers against the losers and takers. The scary part is that the sweet song of socialism is often enticing to the poorly educated.

Long live HOWARD ROARK!

Edited by SoCal Deek