Defund the Police?

41 minutes ago, GregPersons said:

How do you not get this. I am repeating myself over and over. And did I not just tell you your exact value? No value. You have no impact whatsoever on me. You are a fun little dorky nemesis and racist punching bag. That you allow yourself to continue to be used by me... after I continue telling you over and again... is just some kinda BDSM ***** at this point. You and "Lady G", maybe?  ?  

Good job finding a way to also announce that you are a homophobe. ?

...won't have to worry about defunding this officer....RIP at AGE 38.......despicable.......

California ambush leaves 1 deputy dead, 2 officers hurt

By Dom Calicchio | Fox News

A call about a suspicious van led to an ambush Saturday that resulted in the death of a Northern California sheriff’s deputy and injuries to two other law enforcement officers, according to reports.

Sgt. Damon Gutzwiller, 38, was fatally shot during the confrontation in Ben Lomond, an unincorporated area, Santa Cruz County Sheriff Jim Hart said.

A second deputy was injured, and a third officer from the California Highway Patrol was shot in a hand, the sheriff said.

Gutzwiller was a married father of one child with a second child on the way, Hart told FOX 2 of the San Francisco Bay Area.

“Words cannot express the pain we feel for Damon and his family," Hart told the station. "Today, we lost a hero."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-ambush-leaves-1-deputy-dead-2-officers-hurt

8 hours ago, GregPersons said:

You should've read my entire post before responding to one sentence. There is a difference between racism (systemic) and prejudice (individual). You are describing prejudice.

The reason it is impossible to be racist toward White people in America is because nothing you say or imagine or do to a White person on an individual basis can eliminate the inherent privileges they are born into. No individual action can remove the majority dominant status in the culture. Do you see the difference?

As desperately as Whites have tried to, amazingly, position themselves as somehow being the victims of racism —  "reverse racism" and "the race card" and "affirmative action" and "cracker" (lmao) and allllllll the desperate ways of acting aggrieved -- truly there are no bigger hypocritical babies in the history of the modern world than White Americans and their treatment toward Black Americans. Imagine a White generation that made a real effort to helping... without being prompted with begging and piles of dead bodies. Imagine a White generation of Americans that lived the values they claim so loudly. Maybe your grandkids.

Huh?  Who is doing the vast majority of killing of black people?  Here's a hint: it isn't non-black people.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Doc said:

Huh?  Who is doing the vast majority of killing of black people?  Here's a hint: it isn't non-black people.

To be fair Doc it's not that whites are not doing the majority of the killing.  Here's what I think makes us racist.

We don't condemn racism with every post we make on social media

We are not out marching in lock step with the BLM in protest of the way blacks are treated by the police

We are against defunding the police

And here's the kicker.  We are still posting food pics on Facebook and Instagram.  Oh the horror! 

So get with the program you racists bastards!  Conform or be required to wear a yellow R on your shirts. Or we will deface your place of business and paint BLM on the front to label you not like them.  Wow......am I the only one who just had a major case of deja vu?  Come on you must be WOKE!!

• Like (+1) 1

In 11 pages, no one has been able to justify why defunding the police would improve conditions.  The only argument for defunding is "Racism" and those who oppose are racist. 

Many valid arguments have been made why this is a bad idea. 

The drive to the left is going to end up like the french revolution - they eventually turn on themselves.  This can be seen yesterday with JK Rowling and Jacob Frey.  Both are very liberal but now get called out when they break ranks with the far, far left.

The interesting thing is that this movement may be what gets Trump elected as the law and order president.

27 minutes ago, Doc said:

...any idea why that pandemic is taken for granted?.....why are weekly dead tallies of the "Chicago Shooting Gallery" published like the Lotto numbers?......

9 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

To be fair Doc it's not that whites are not doing the majority of the killing.  Here's what I think makes us racist.

We are not out marching in lock step with the BLM in protest of the way blacks are treated by the police

And here's the kicker.  We are still posting food pics on Facebook and Instagram.  Oh the horror! 

So get with the program you racists bastards!  Conform or be required to wear a yellow R on your shirts. Or we will deface your place of business and paint BLM on the front to label you not like them.  Wow......am I the only one who just had a major case of deja vu?  Come on you must be WOKE!!

No, I understand why GP thinks you whites aren't doing enough.  I just don't get the "piles of dead bodies" comment since 93% of blacks are killed by other blacks, while (last year) 9 unarmed blacks out of a population of 49M or so were killed by cops.

8 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

In 11 pages, no one has been able to justify why defunding the police would improve conditions.  The only argument for defunding is "Racism" and those who oppose are racist. 

Many valid arguments have been made why this is a bad idea. 

The drive to the left is going to end up like the french revolution - they eventually turn on themselves.  This can be seen yesterday with JK Rowling and Jacob Frey.  Both are very liberal but now get called out when they break ranks with the far, far left.

The interesting thing is that this movement may be what gets Trump elected as the law and order president.

It's an emotional reaction.  Kind of like kids saying "I hope I die, that'll show them" when their parents punish them.

Edited by Doc

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

No, I understand why GP thinks you whites aren't doing enough.  I just don't get the "piles of dead bodies" comment since 93% of blacks are killed by other blacks, while (last year) 9 unarmed blacks out of a population of 49M or so were killed by cops.

Again read what he said.  We are racists because it takes piles of dead bodies to get us to act.  See if we just go along our daily lives during all this we are automatically racists.  In Greggy's head if we don't speak out against these things we are for these things.  He has the logic of a flea.  

• Like (+1) 2

Democrats, party of lawlessness, press to collapse police

by Cheryl K. Chumley

Original Article

Eighteen state attorneys general — Democrats, of course — have petitioned Congress for “explicit authority” to investigate local police departments for evidence of abusive and unconstitutional action. Mark this moment as an official calendar day of Democrats’ quest to collapse the law and order structure of police departments around the country. One need only look to the chaotic protests in the streets — one need only listen to the likes of Democratic leadership with their calls for resistance and cries for opposition against conservatives — to see what law and order means to the left: That is, lawlessness.

20 hours ago, GregPersons said:

No. The left wants an end to police violence. 

Cops don't need guns. Every example of a "good cop" doing something productive, 10/10 times, they are providing a service that is unarmed. They are mediating, helping reunite lost children from parents, breaking up disputes before they get violent. 

I keep asking for someone to supply a story with this, and so far nobody has supplied even one —

Looking for a news story where a cop directly saved a human life with their firearm. Not "killing a gangbanger who would later kill people" or anything speculative. An example of someone breaking into a home and endangering lives with a weapon of their own, and the cops stopping that with excessive force.

What I'd like to see is statistics.

Number of lives directly saved by cops with guns

Number of lives directly ended by cops with guns

Also, curious to know...

Number of rape cases solved by police

Number of rape cases dismissed by police

Because every story I have seen and heard from the women in my life/network/beyond, any woman who reported rape to the police suffered an extremely humiliating experience, and found no help. 

So the real question is. What are the actual, honest to God, real life services that Police are carrying out that are so essential?  Because I really think most of America is mixed up on where their information is coming from. I think people have seen so many cop shows, they think cops are solving that amount of cases in reality. 

Your response has nothing to do with what I said. Thanks 

• Haha (+1) 3

'Defund the police'? The method to the left's madness

by Selwyn Duke

Original Article

Dismantling the police, a measure already proposed in Minneapolis, makes about as much sense as eliminating doctors or farmers, and would likewise lead to pain and death. But if there is method to the madness, and I suspect there is in some Machiavellian quarters, it’s perhaps this: Certain leftists want to eliminate the police because they want to become the police. Or, at least, they want their foot soldiers to fill that role. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

As my own little protest, I went through and unfollowed all the foodies and recipe bloggers that posted a black square on IG. You make recipes!  No need to get political online. Besides that, it doesn't align with your "brand." :rolleyes::P

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, GregPersons said:

You should've read my entire post before responding to one sentence. There is a difference between racism (systemic) and prejudice (individual). You are describing prejudice.

The reason it is impossible to be racist toward White people in America is because nothing you say or imagine or do to a White person on an individual basis can eliminate the inherent privileges they are born into. No individual action can remove the majority dominant status in the culture. Do you see the difference?

As desperately as Whites have tried to, amazingly, position themselves as somehow being the victims of racism —  "reverse racism" and "the race card" and "affirmative action" and "cracker" (lmao) and allllllll the desperate ways of acting aggrieved -- truly there are no bigger hypocritical babies in the history of the modern world than White Americans and their treatment toward Black Americans. Imagine a White generation that made a real effort to helping... without being prompted with begging and piles of dead bodies. Imagine a White generation of Americans that lived the values they claim so loudly. Maybe your grandkids.

Oh boy.  You paint with a broad brush.  What are these inherent privileges that whites have? How are whites treating blacks badly?

If you want to speak about economic privileges there at least might be a conversation there.  We are all free to get up every morning and pursue happiness in whatever form that is for the individual. There's a catch though.  That pursuit and achieving ones goals can require hard work and good decisions over a long period of time.  A lot of people (all races) aren't willing to do that and frankly deserve whatever station in life they occupy.

Personally I think it's long past time that we stop putting people in racial buckets and viewing/analyzing them differently.  We are surrounded by 10's of millions of examples of people who have risen economically from nothing and equal examples of people who are underachieving.  More often than not in my experience those that under achieve (all races) have lived a pattern of life often beginning in their childhood that almost guaranteed their failure or lack of achieving the success they want.   Parenting may be the greatest single factor in outcomes. 

I came from very little economically.  Paid for college 100% myself, worked very hard to do that. Very very hard.   My kids were more fortunate.  My wife and I paid for theirs.  Does that make my kids privileged and would that have made me under privileged?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

<snip>

I came from very little economically.  Paid for college 100% myself, worked very hard to do that. Very very hard.   My kids were more fortunate.  My wife and I paid for theirs.  Does that make my kids privileged and would that have made me under privileged?

Neither That would make you a parent that wanted a better life for their children.. 

• Like (+1) 1

I must ask those that are calling out as racist those who are against defunding the police this question?  If the police are defunding who is going to be affected the most. Those rich white people in their bucolic gated communities or those people of color who are going to be ravaged by criminals who already roam their neighborhoods? Do you folks even think before you support a cause?  BTW that is a very rhetorical question.

And Chef Jim is racist for saying POC live in poor neighborhoods in 3.....2.....1.......

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

As my own little protest, I went through and unfollowed all the foodies and recipe bloggers that posted a black square on IG. You make recipes!  No need to get political online. Besides that, it doesn't align with your "brand." :rolleyes::P

I'm making goat cheese today.  Follow me on Instagram @blacklivesmattereatme

2 hours ago, B-Man said:

'Defund the police'? The method to the left's madness

by Selwyn Duke

Original Article

Dismantling the police, a measure already proposed in Minneapolis, makes about as much sense as eliminating doctors or farmers, and would likewise lead to pain and death. But if there is method to the madness, and I suspect there is in some Machiavellian quarters, it’s perhaps this: Certain leftists want to eliminate the police because they want to become the police. Or, at least, they want their foot soldiers to fill that role. 

...not even sure if MURDER would fit their definition of a crime..............hell they'd want to psychoanalyze the perp's background to see if he was a societal victim in some way....somebody ELSE is at fault..........

This is one of the dumbest trends, and is truly an idea of a very very very very very small minority of our people who just happen to shout really loud.

better strategic funding of the police and community can be a good thing, abolishing police is LOL

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Crayola64 said:

This is one of the dumbest trends, and is truly an idea of a very very very very very small minority of our people who just happen to shout really loud.

better strategic funding of the police and community can be a good thing, abolishing police is LOL

That seems to be what the call is for....

"Disbanding" sounds more extreme. I'm not sure what Minneapolis is doing.

What does this mean for gun control laws? It kind of goes hand-in-hand with police defunding/reform, right?

Be more strict while allowing more widespread open-carry? Will more funds be allocated to public formal firearms training?

4 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

What does this mean for gun control laws? It kind of goes hand-in-hand with police defunding/reform, right?

Be more strict while allowing more widespread open-carry? Will more funds be allocated to public formal firearms training?

Erm, in case you have not noticed, the past 12 days (including the "defund the police movement) have set "gun control" back a good 40 or 50 years. It is a non starter right now.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Erm, in case you have not noticed, the past 10 days (including the "defund the police movement) have set "gun control" back a good 40 or 50 years. It is a non starter right now.

One would think discussion on police funding/reform leads to discussion on gun control reform naturally...

I'm all for open-carry licenses

1 hour ago, Crayola64 said:

It’s working. A common enemy is brining is together. ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, LeGOATski said:

One would think discussion on police funding/reform leads to discussion on gun control reform naturally...

I'm all for open-carry licenses

I am anti-gun. It is one of my two last  big "leftist" stances. I wish all guns could be rounded up and melted down (and yes, I know that will never happen).  This past year I have seriously considered getting my permit.  The way things are going, I do worry. I hesitate because getting my permit would mean... I'd have to fire a gun. Something I am not at all interested in doing.

I mentioned to my husband last year that I was considering getting my permit, and the first thing out of his mouth was, "We can go to the gun range together!" 

My husband is loaded for bear.  He is a huge 2A advocate, as is his right under our constitution. In some ways, this makes it very easy for me to continue with my belief.

Maybe I'll evolve enough on day to fully be on board with getting licensed and learning to shoot. Or, maybe not.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I am anti-gun. It is one of my two last  big "leftist" stances. I wish all guns could be rounded up and melted down (and yes, I know that will never happen).  This past year I have seriously considered getting my permit.  The way things are going, I do worry. I hesitate because getting my permit would mean... I'd have to fire a gun. Something I am not at all interested in doing.

I mentioned to my husband last year that I was considering getting my permit, and the first thing out of his mouth was, "We can go to the gun range together!" 

My husband is loaded for bear.  He is a huge 2A advocate, as is his right under our constitution. In some ways, this makes it very easy for me to continue with my belief.

Maybe I'll evolve enough on day to fully be on board with getting licensed and learning to shoot. Or, maybe not.

Something will end up pushing you to that point. Do it legal; do it safe and you’ll be fine.

• Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Sounds like an inevitability ?

• Sad 1

We're told not to take "defund the police" and "abolish the police" literally.

In this WaPo op-ed — "Defund the police? Here’s what that really means." — by Christy E. Lopez, who is a a Distinguished Visitor from Practice at Georgetown Law School where she co-directs the Innovative Policing Program. She tells us not to be "afraid" because it's "not as scary (or even as radical) as it sounds."
We turn to the police in situations where years of experience and common sense tell us that their involvement is unnecessary, and can make things worse. We ask police to take accident reports, respond to people who have overdosed and arrest, rather than cite, people who might have intentionally or not passed a counterfeit $20 bill. We call police to roust homeless people from corners and doorsteps, resolve verbal squabbles between family members and strangers alike, and arrest children for behavior that once would have been handled as a school disciplinary issue.

Police themselves often complain about having to “do too much,” including handling social problems for which they are ill-equipped. Some have been vocal about the need to decriminalize social problems and take police out of the equation. It is clear that we must reimagine the role they play in public safety. 
Defunding and abolition probably mean something different from what you are thinking. For most proponents, “defunding the police” does not mean zeroing out budgets for public safety, and police abolition does not mean that police will disappear overnight — or perhaps ever. Defunding the police means shrinking the scope of police responsibilities and shifting most of what government does to keep us safe to entities that are better equipped to meet that need. It means investing more in mental-health care and housing, and expanding the use of community mediation and violence interruption programs....
Why not use words that people can understand and that convey the meaning you want to put in our head? If your idea is so reasonable, why not use words that are effective in making people who care about peace and harmony agree with you?
Police abolition means reducing, with the vision of eventually eliminating, our reliance on policing to secure our public safety....
Now, that's just confusing! You said "reducing" but then you said "eliminating."
The “abolition” language is important because it reminds us that policing has been the primary vehicle for using violence to perpetuate the unjustified white control over the bodies and lives of black people that has been with us since slavery.

But the slavery abolition movement was not about reducing our reliance on slavery! Why take such an important word and undermine what it means?

If you successfully "remind us" of the evils of slavery, you are making us think you are saying the police are an evil, like slavery, that must be entirely eradicated.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I love when people like Pelosi try to distance themselves from the very extremism they foster (for political self preservation), while, at the same time, trying not lose the vote of those very same extremists.

Such dishonesty. The very essence of what is wrong in Washington and why I detest so many politicians....

• Like (+1) 4

4 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

The trick they're trying to pull with this media coverage is to make the majority opinion feel as if they're in the minority. 

Information warfare 101. 

The 28% should live where there is no police.  A good social experiment on police vs no police.  I am guessing they would not volunteer for what they want to force on others.

• Thank you (+1) 1