Defund the Police?

to reiterate, this whole "define defund" with its dictionary definitions being quoted as gospel needed to be debunked and I hope by now it has. saying the majority  want police "defunded"  supposedly to leave anarchy in its wake is baloney. Removing all forms of protection from lawlessness in my view makes zero sense practically as well as philosophically. The fact that the word "defund" was jumped on as meaning remove all police functions is ans was ludicrous. Argue if you must that is what most want and I will disagree strongly.

Edited by Margarita

No police means no speed limit or stopping at red lights and stop signs which means I can get to where i'm going faster, but there will probably be more accidents clogging the roads up so, probably should keep the police!

What a damn stupid thought process to defund the police!

15 minutes ago, Capco said:

Believe what you want dude.  Read the exchange between billsfan1959 and myself if you think I'm being disingenuous.  

I've not read your exchange but my meeting canceled and I had time to read your article.  If the information is true is a very damning account of what's going on.  I just wondered why out of that whole article you felt it necessary to quote that?  

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Margarita said:

to reiterate, this whole "define defund" with its dictionary definitions being quoted as gospel needed to be debunked and I hope by now it has. saying the majority  want police "defunded"  supposedly to leave anarchy in its wake is baloney. Removing all forms of protection from lawlessness in my view makes zero sense practically as well as philosophically. The fact that the word "defund" was jumped on as meaning remove all police functions is ans was ludicrous. Argue if you must that is what most want and I will disagree strongly.

It may not be what they wanted but it certainly is what they said.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Margarita said:

Then why was the word defund even used??  There are so many ways the to use words that actually represent what they want to do. But no.  The chant became defund, defund, defund.  Please explain why there is a discussion here on this board with 5,600 views and 389 replies with the title of Minnesota Police Disbanded?  What definition  you want to give to that word?  Orwell would be proud of you. 

9 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I've not read your exchange but my meeting canceled and I had time to read your article.  If the information is true is a very damning account of what's going on.  I just wondered why out of that whole article you felt it necessary to quote that?  

Thanks.  

As I said, I was introducing one particular viewpoint here (which I acknowledged is anecdotal) so as to discuss it with you all, because I found the contents deeply disturbing.  

When you want other people to read your book, you put some juicy quotes on the back cover.  It's the same concept as "getting clicks" by focusing on that which stands out.  

But I'm not trying to get you to click for monetary gain or anything.  I'm just trying to get people to read it.  

Just now, Chef Jim said:

Then why was the word defund even used??  There are so many ways the to use words that actually represent what they want to do. But no.  The chant became defund, defund, defund.  Please explain why there is a discussion here on this board with 5,600 views and 389 replies with the title of Minnesota Police Disbanded?  What definition  you want to give to that word?  Orwell would be proud of you. 

What a gentleman you are. Nice to see it's not just me who you are a complete ####### to. Have you ever seen a mental health professional?

Defund is used because it's the right starting point. The discussion needs to be about a complete repeal & replace. Defund is a negotiationg tactic, you moron. It says the discussion needs to start at 0 and work up from there. Because working down from 300 gazillion is going to be pointless. See: the cuts promised by LAPD which is in the 100s of millions and still a fraction of the overall budget.

What about Margarita's post warranted your disgusting rudeness toward her, btw? Are you single? Do you interact with other humans outside of this board? Who would you ever talk to like that? What an embarrassment you are. Please go support the Pats, where you belong.

6 minutes ago, GregPersons said:

What a gentleman you are. Nice to see it's not just me who you are a complete ####### to. Have you ever seen a mental health professional?

Defund is used because it's the right starting point. The discussion needs to be about a complete repeal & replace. Defund is a negotiationg tactic, you moron. It says the discussion needs to start at 0 and work up from there. Because working down from 300 gazillion is going to be pointless. See: the cuts promised by LAPD which is in the 100s of millions and still a fraction of the overall budget.

What about Margarita's post warranted your disgusting rudeness toward her, btw? Are you single? Do you interact with other humans outside of this board? Who would you ever talk to like that? What an embarrassment you are. Please go support the Pats, where you belong.

Seriously??  That reply post to Margarita is rude?  Because I called her Orwellian??  Holy ***** dude.  You hypocrite. 

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

You avoided calling out the sexist lock her up chant just like you avoid calling out racism.

Not surprised.

Lock her up is sexist?  LOLOLOLOL!!!!  

No seriously.  I literally laughed out loud at that.  

• Haha (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

you cant hold a conversation without an insult. Why is that? Do discussions that dont perfectly align with your views harm your sense of self so as to have to go low in self defence?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Margarita said:

you cant hold a conversation without an insult. Why is that? Do discussions that dont perfectly align with your views harm your sense of self so as to have to go low in self defence?

Where did I insult you?  Please point out what words I used that insulted you?  

17 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Where did I insult you?  Please point out what words I used that insulted you?  

I said your defending a dictionary definition of defunding was debunked and Im orwellian it was a dig and in plain sight of a post that very eloquently posted why I posted as I did...listen I can hang it is what it is in these forums. You keep  being you and always right. SMH Orewllian: This will go nowhere y'all don't want discussion you want the word to be a mandate. I disagree.

The word is sometimes used to describe a particularly anti-libertarian government policy, but it is also sometimes used to describe the peculiar, nonsensical thought process behind Oceania's social structure—a thought process in which ideas that are obviously self-contradictory are accepted as true based on the fact that an authority figure is asserting them.

Edited by Margarita
  • Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

It's a right wing talking point.

@Margarita

Yes.  Using words as they’re properly understood is a right wing talking point.

Why can’t you just clearly explain what you want, using words as they are commonly understood instead of blaming everyone else for your miscommunications.

This coming from an individual who fully supports abolishing the police.

5 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

@Margarita

Yes.  Using words as they’re properly understood is a right wing talking point.

Why can’t you just clearly explain what you want, using words as they are commonly understood instead of blaming everyone else for your miscommunications.

This coming from an individual who fully supports abolishing the police.

what I want? Clairity and perspective  as to what defund really means in realistic terms vs what a dictionary says it means..

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Jaraxxus said:

^And this is the inevitable outcome of modern progressivism. Nothing has any meaning, everyone makes up the rules as they go and language is utterly and completely useless.

Objective truth. Let's get back to it.

lets not and say we did. I'll repeat myself: y'all think its a mandate and it in my view clearly isn't. What is so hard about this? geesh.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Margarita said:

this was posted on another boards political section regarding this issue and I found it very succinct and madea great deal of sense worthy of a repost here

I'm not sure why Camden is being held up as a shining example of what a police force can be or in regard to the defunding issues. Camden PD wasn't defunded, it was shutdown to get rid of the police union and recreated with a 56% increase in officers and lower salaries for all officers. I'm not sure if there was even any decrease in funding over all. The primary thing they achieved was getting rid of the police union.

Therre was nothing really innovative in how they then went about policing. Communiy policing has been around for a long time and all they did was add more officers to help accomplish that. As far as I can tell all other aspects of training and policy are pretty much the same as most agencies.

Camden had the highest crime rate of all cities in NJ before the change and, even though it decreased some, it has remained the city with the highest violent crime rate in NJ since the change.

If you lived in any area with the violent crime rate in Camden, I do not think you would be holding up as an example of what to do.

Camden was about getting rid of the police union. I don't have a problem with that. But, this idea of an innovative, transformational agency that solved Camden's violent crime problem is pure fiction.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

I'm not sure why Camden is being held up as a shining example of what a police force can be or in regard to the defunding issues. Camden PD wasn't defunded, it was shutdown to get rid of the police union and recreated with a 56% increase in officers and lower salaries for all officers. I'm not sure if there was even any decrease in funding over all. The primary thing they achieved was getting rid of the police union.

Therre was nothing really innovative in how they then went about policing. Communiy policing has been around for a long time and all they did was add more officers to help accomplish that. As far as I can tell all other aspects of training and policy are pretty much the same as most agencies.

Camden had the highest crime rate of all cities in NJ before the change and, even though it decreased some, it has remained the city with the highest violent crime rate in NJ since the change.

If you lived in any area with the violent crime rate in Camden, I do not think you would be holding up as an example of what to do.

Camden was about getting rid of the police union. I don't have a problem with that. But, this idea of an innovative, transformational agency that solved Camden's violent crime problem is pure fiction.

thank you for your post it was posted to further rather than derail a discussion into playing semantics. I appreciate this

Just now, Jaraxxus said:

Your "view" is irrelevant by any objective standard. The definition of defund is the definition of defund.

So says Jaraxxus... so shall it be and the Chef Jim screams  AMEN lol Fine. This discussion means squat in terms of what is really happening in the country you just keep on being right though.

• Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Lock her up is sexist?  LOLOLOLOL!!!!  

No seriously.  I literally laughed out loud at that.  

I mean, a lot of people are assuming it's (the subject's) gender with that chant. Not an assumption I'm willing to make, personally. 

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Margarita said:

what I want? Clairity and perspective  as to what defund really means in realistic terms vs what a dictionary says it means..

I’m not concerned with what you want.

I’m concerned with why you accept such a diminishingly small amount of personal responsibility that you won’t even accept blame for not articulating what you’re asking for using commonly understood language.

How can you possibly expect to be taken seriously?

“We want X.“

<others explain massive real world issues with agreeing to do X>

“When we said we want X, we didn’t mean we wanted X.  We meant something entirely different from X, that requires entirely different words to explain, but it’s your fault for not knowing this.“

GTFOH

1 minute ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

I’m not concerned with what you want.

I’m concerned with why you accept such a diminishingly small amount of personal responsibility that you won’t even accept blame for not articulating what you’re asking for using commonly understood language.

How can you possibly expect to be taken seriously?

“We want X.“

<others explain massive real world issues with agreeing to do X>

“When we said we want X, we didn’t mean we wanted X.  We meant something entirely different from X, that requires entirely different words to explain, but it’s your fault for not knowing this.“

GTFOH

this is 2 seconds of my life I'll never get back. BLOCK ME

• Haha (+1) 1

Maybe it's a question best left to @Sig1Hunter @LeviF91 or @billsfan1959, but do law enforcement agencies use the same racial definitions in their reports as the US Census? Or is their a wider selection with different definitions? I'm curious about the impact that potential disparity might have on many of the widely circulated stats.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

No.

I think I‘d rather continue to point out childish antics.

Act like a grownup or be treated like a child.

so says the sellf described smartest man in the room .....pfft I'll block You instead..

3 minutes ago, Jaraxxus said:

Or, alternatively, you could follow the advice of Proverbs:

"Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent."

DITTO

36 minutes ago, Margarita said:

I said your defending a dictionary definition of defunding was debunked and Im orwellian it was a dig and in plain sight of a post that very eloquently posted why I posted as I did...listen I can hang it is what it is in these forums. You keep  being you and always right. SMH Orewllian: This will go nowhere y'all don't want discussion you want the word to be a mandate. I disagree.

And I asked if we are not using the word as it is described, and has been described forever, in the English language then why are we using it?  And if you didn't get my Orwellian comment was rude take is up with Mr Orwell's estate.   And with what the left is doing with the English language and the words that make it up Orwellian Newspeak is a very appropriate observation and not rude at all.  

Just now, Margarita said:

so says the sellf described smartest man in the room .....pfft I'll block You instead..

Self described is spelled with a single “L”.

As for blocking me, I don’t think you have the mental capacity to understand most of the arguments I make; so in essence you doing so is akin to a fish throwing away it’s roller skates.

• Haha (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Margarita said:

lets not and say we did. I'll repeat myself: y'all think its a mandate and it in my view clearly isn't. What is so hard about this? geesh.

Sure it's easy. Noooo that's not what we meant at all!!!  In the heat of the protests defunding and dismantling is EXACTLY what they meant.  

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

Sure it's easy. Noooo that's not what we meant at all!!!  In the heat of the protests defunding and dismantling is EXACTLY what they meant.  

She’s not smart enough to know this, nor honest enough to admit it if she did.

And somehow it’s your fault.

Its basically the most cartoonish, cruel, and harmful stereotype of a woman sprung to life on my keyboard.

5 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Maybe it's a question best left to @Sig1Hunter @LeviF91 or @billsfan1959, but do law enforcement agencies use the same racial definitions in their reports as the US Census? Or is their a wider selection with different definitions? I'm curious about the impact that potential disparity might have on many of the widely circulated stats.

As far as I know, race in all reporting is pretty much the same as the census: White, Black or African American, Asian, American Indian and Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander, or some other race; and ethnicity is one of two categories, Hispanic or Latino and Not Hispanic or Latino.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Margarita said:

this is 2 seconds of my life I'll never get back. BLOCK ME

You rock. 

@Chef Jim is psychotic. @TakeYouToTasker is literally the stupidest person alive.

Good for you, Margarita

4 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

She’s not smart enough to know this, nor honest enough to admit it if she did.

And somehow it’s your fault.

Its basically the most cartoonish, cruel, and harmful stereotype of a woman sprung to life on my keyboard.

You're a sociopath. You're also stupid as *****. Objectively :)

3 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

As far as I know, race in all reporting is pretty much the same as the census: White, Black or African American, Asian, American Indian and Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander, or some other race; and ethnicity is one of two categories, Hispanic or Latino and Not Hispanic or Latino.

How about Ugly? Do they use that because I'm pretty sure I heard the word used when I was in the back of the cruiser that one time. 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

You are garbage. This is you, also. 

Again -- you're trash. I was hoping you were behaving unusually toward me. If you were not White, you'd be in jail if you acted like this in public. Again -- you are human garbage, Jim

6 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

So incidents involving someone from the middle east or north Africa are typically classified as white? Or is that at the discretion of the officer?

Just now, Chef Jim said:

Psychotic

Racist

Fascist

White Supremacist

Any other labels you want to put on someone you've never met?  

That's just based on your content here. Seek professional help. You are trash. Based just on the content of your character. You are a drag on society. You are useless. Please go support the Jets or the Pats or anyone else. 

What's the longest romantic relationship you've ever had?  You have a strong "incel" vibe. Tasker too.

1 minute ago, GregPersons said:

You rock. 

@Chef Jim is psychotic. @TakeYouToTasker is literally the stupidest person alive.

Good for you, Margarita

When you say “stupidest” (Which isn’t a word by the way.  The term you’re looking for is “most stupid“.   When you’re trying to insult someone’s intelligence, you may wish to consider using real words to do so.) I can only assume you mean something else entirely, given your standard insistence that language is like water, and nothing really means anything anyway.

You’re fun to play with.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1