Defund the Police?

DEAR MAYOR FREY:

On June 12, The 508 had some unruly people causing trouble outside of our restaurant’s front door. Along with our neighboring restaurant, we called the police at the 1st precinct to help break up the group so that customers would be allowed to get past them and into our place of business.

In what I can only describe as utterly shocking, we were told by the police that there would be no police sent our way….and it was recommended that we simply close and lock our doors. Mind you, the 1st precinct is literally one block away from The 508. We had just been allowed to reopen our dining room two days prior, per the Governor’s reduced restrictions. Then, we’re told by City of Minneapolis police that they cannot help us and we should close up and lock our doors on that fateful Friday, June 12.

That was it for us. If the City is going to provide that level of “support” to its loyal downtown businesses then we simply cannot operate safely. It was the next day that we decided to close the business forever.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

....now THAT should teach him a lesson....seriously?...why even bother?.....back on the Portland streets by 7 tomorrow.....his "community service".....

Oregon protester convicted of arson in fire near police precinct gets probation, community service

“I am sorry for my actions,” the suspect told a judge

By Louis Casiano | Fox News

An 18-year-old man accused of setting a fire outside a Portland Police Bureau precinct during a chaotic protest was sentenced Wednesday to three years probation and community service.

Rollin Tristan Fodor pleaded guilty to first-degree arson in connection with the June 26 blaze. His lawyer told Multnomah County, Ore., Circuit Judge Amy Baggio that her client attended several protests and got "caught up" in the event.

“I am sorry for my actions,” Fodor told Baggio during Wednesday's court hearing, according to The Oregonian.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/portland-protester-convicted-of-arson-in-police-precinct-fire-gets-probation-community-service

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

What the?!!?!?  Why not just put a bounty out on the cops.  

2 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Assuming the summary is correct, it's basically allowing the ones that do not result in any harm to be a misdemeanor. I'm okay with that tbh.

Define harm.  

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

Define harm.  

"Must result in bodily injury" It's allowing police wives to slap their husbands when its deserved.

More seriously, it seems like if you were to throw a bottle at an officer it wouldn't be a felony unless you hit them pretty good with it. Should prevent some charges from being drummed up due to a bruised ego, but maybe I'm just optimistic. I'll be interested to hear our resident enforcers response to it. I get the feeling they won't care too much. 

3 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

"Must result in bodily injury" It's allowing police wives to slap their husbands when its deserved.

More seriously, it seems like if you were to throw a bottle at an officer it wouldn't be a felony unless you hit them pretty good with it. Should prevent some charges from being drummed up due to a bruised ego, but maybe I'm just optimistic. I'll be interested to hear our resident enforcers response to it. I get the feeling they won't care too much. 

Assault and Battery does not require bodily injury.

9 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Assuming the summary is correct, it's basically allowing the ones that do not result in any harm to be a misdemeanor. I'm okay with that tbh.

...yup...makes perfect sense......in lieu of ANY legal charges albeit misdemeanor or felony, we can just hand out "participation trophies" instead...SMH.....

2 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Assault and Battery does not require bodily injury.

Read the summary

Eliminates the mandatory minimum term of confinement for an assault and battery committed against a judge; magistrate; law-enforcement officer; correctional officer; person directly involved in the care, treatment, or supervision of inmates; firefighter; or volunteer firefighter or any emergency medical services personnel and provides that such crime can no longer be committed as a simple assault and must result in a bodily injury.

Summary of Senate Bill 5032

I listened to the press conference from two knuckle heads leading up the Wisconsin AG's office yesterday. They started off stating the FACTS of the case as they know them...perfect.  Then, they went of the rails with a bunch of work non-sense about social unrest, systemic racism, and even brought the Milwaukee Bucks basketball team into it.  Really?

What's the one thing that ALL of these police shooting issues have in common that nobody wants to comment on?  If you are stopped by the police and are politely asked to do something ....do it!  Do not fight back. Do not try and get in your car. Get in the police car.  Do not reach for the officer's weapon, lethal or not. Do not run away. Do not drive away.

Are we clear? Sheeeeesh!

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

?‍♂️

I just read the summary and found the premise to be less inflammatory than the headline. How it is achieved is above my pay grade 

I absolutely agree with this statement.  I have learned to really hate headlines.  And with my ADD I have been trapped by many myself over the years. 

Defunding police would harm minority communities the most.

I feel like all the riots and assaults and arson and looting have really undermined the case for defunding the police. Heck, I’m starting to rethink my opposition to police militarization, a view that I held before cities were being assaulted with organized, hostile, often armed, mobs.

KRUISER’S MORNING BRIEF: Democrats Keep Letting BLM Rage Mob Ruin Police Careers. 

“The anti-police sentiment in cities run by Democrats is getting worse by the day. Those of us who write about this stuff all the time have been speculating for months about how many law enforcement officers would be leaving the profession altogether because of this crap. As we saw in Seattle, cops are getting abandoned and thrown under the bus by progressive loon politicians who would rather side with rioters than law enforcement.”

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hedge said:

Compton is a very dangerous place and a hotbed of gang activity.  BLM showing up so quickly shows how well organized this movement has become.  One thing they have failed to achieve to this point is to manufacture any martyrs for the cause.  One unmet objective is to goad police or other "white" authorities into reacting to their stupid and uncivilized displays of hatred such as this demonstration at the hospital.  Another key message here is the left can "hate" but nobody else is allowed.  

At the end of the day the defund the police movement has little if anything to do with police brutality and misconduct.  Its all a big snow-job.  The left has been able to infiltrate or control almost every other public sector organization with the glaring exception of local and state law enforcement organizations.  So absent their ability to seed these departments with Social Justice liberal thinkers the only remaining option is to eliminate or shrink the ability of these police organizations to resist the leftist message.  If it results in more crime and killings that's just the cost in their the means justify the end approach to re-engineering U.S. society.  If you view everything trough the lens of this objective it all becomes clearer.  For example, in 2 generations they have transformed public sector education through control of school boards and teachers unions from places of learning to social indoctrination centers.  They control local and state governments, a large percentage of the judicial, higher education, local and state and federal prosecutors, the military (especially the Navy) and on and on.  Find one other institution the left doesn't exert control over other than the police.  And maybe control of the White House.  These are more or less their last two targets before liberal mission accomplished.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

POLICE IN CITY WILL USE NETS TO SUBDUE THE DERANGED
By Barbara Basler
Jan. 27, 1981

New York City police officers, who have been forced to handle a growing number of cases involving mentally disturbed people, will begin using fire extinguishers and huge nets this week when they answer such calls.

Officials said the fire extinguishers contained a harmless bicarbonate-of-soda mixture that is sprayed at the person to disorient him while a 10-by-14-foot net is cast over him.

Three ropes are attached to the net so that it can be pulled taut, throwing the person to the ground with his arms pinned to his sides. Patrick J. Murphy, chief of operations of the New York Police Department said that it handled 21,000 ''E.D.P.'' - emotionally disturbed person'' - calls in 1980. He said the department had been searching for ways to subdue violent or threatening deranged persons without harming them or endangering the police.

He said he believed the nets would will prove effective, but acknowledged that ''they may be controversial.'' ''It doesn't look too nice when you see a fellow enveloped in a cloud of smoke and netted - almost like an animal,'' he said, ''but all this is is an attempt not to hurt these people.'

But the doctor, who asked to remain unidentified, conceded that ''the police have a tough job, trying to control the uncontrollable,'' and he said ''this might be a good answer.''

https://www.nytimes.com/1981/01/27/nyregion/police-in-city-will-use-nets-to-subdue-the-deranged.html

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ALF said:

By Barbara Basler
Jan. 27, 1981

New York City police officers, who have been forced to handle a growing number of cases involving mentally disturbed people, will begin using fire extinguishers and huge nets this week when they answer such calls.

Officials said the fire extinguishers contained a harmless bicarbonate-of-soda mixture that is sprayed at the person to disorient him while a 10-by-14-foot net is cast over him.

Three ropes are attached to the net so that it can be pulled taut, throwing the person to the ground with his arms pinned to his sides. Patrick J. Murphy, chief of operations of the New York Police Department said that it handled 21,000 ''E.D.P.'' - emotionally disturbed person'' - calls in 1980. He said the department had been searching for ways to subdue violent or threatening deranged persons without harming them or endangering the police.

He said he believed the nets would will prove effective, but acknowledged that ''they may be controversial.'' ''It doesn't look too nice when you see a fellow enveloped in a cloud of smoke and netted - almost like an animal,'' he said, ''but all this is is an attempt not to hurt these people.'

But the doctor, who asked to remain unidentified, conceded that ''the police have a tough job, trying to control the uncontrollable,'' and he said ''this might be a good answer.''

https://www.nytimes.com/1981/01/27/nyregion/police-in-city-will-use-nets-to-subdue-the-deranged.html

Creativity will help. That's nice to see 

9 minutes ago, ALF said:

By Barbara Basler
Jan. 27, 1981

Good luck if the mentally I'll person has a gun. 

2 hours ago, ALF said:

By Barbara Basler
Jan. 27, 1981

Have they tested it on Karlos Williams?

4 hours ago, ALF said:

By Barbara Basler
Jan. 27, 1981

I'm seeing the opportunity for a new reality TV series.  Call it "Nets and Nuts".  Add in sports betting on which cop will net the mentally disturbed suspect and you might have a hit replacement for all the shows that cancelled filming because of COVID. 

Or maybe the city can consider avoiding the problem altogether by evaluating their policy that puts these mentally disturbed people out in the streets and avoids giving them the care and treatment they need. 

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Haha (+1) 1