Defund the Police?

5 hours ago, westside2 said:

Are we coming up with a new meaning for the word defund? 

I always believed say what you mean and mean what you say. Anything else is just a play on words. 

you're right westside, Defund the police remove money from funding police. Period. Exclamation point. you're right Right RIGHT.  That's the whole issue right?  What happens next means nothing right? I've proven myself right on a message board the dictionary says what it means and beyond that who cares ITS WHAT WAS POSTED ON THE SIGN THAT MATTERS. signed sealed delivered. SMH

yeah Im snarking at you all while you argue semantics and knowledge about what a sign used in a protest rally really means.....

I bring up what the sign says is only the surface message but Im eviscerated for having that opinion. And if you google "what does defunding the police really mean" it explains well beyond the dictionary definition..which I tried to do also. I'll say this one last time ...even if there are a few fringe people whom wish the police eliminated completely devoid of funding  do you honestly think that is mainstream thought but that it would ever happen to that severe extreme? YEP Lets allow a sign to dictate our futures and push that anarchy button to justify it  Because im RIGHT defund means DEFUND OF ALL FUNDING..the sign says so thats what it means to everyone sum total BOOM..Defund.

please...... 

1 minute ago, Margarita said:

you're right westside, Defund the police remove money from funding police. Period. Exclamation point. you're right Right RIGHT.  That's the whole issue right?  What happens next means nothing right? I've proven myself right on a message board the dictionary says what it means and beyond that who cares ITS WHAT WAS POSTED ON THE SIGN THAT MATTERS. signed sealed delivered. SMH

Interesting regarding the part in bold.  So what does that red octagonal sign with the words STOP mean?  Can I tell the cop and pulled me over for running it that "oh I interpreted it to mean slow down"?  We get your point.  Do you get ours?  If not let me reiterate it.  The word "defund" and what it means to those wanting police reform is being mocked by us.  Why?  Because it has come from hysterical people at protests.  Has it opened a dialog?  Sure, which is good but it was a terrible word to use to start the dialog because of it's actual meaning.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Interesting regarding the part in bold.  So what does that red octagonal sign with the words STOP mean?  Can I tell the cop and pulled me over for running it that "oh I interpreted it to mean slow down"?  We get your point.  Do you get ours?  If not let me reiterate it.  The word "defund" and what it means to those wanting police reform is being mocked by us.  Why?  Because it has come from hysterical people at protests.  Has it opened a dialog?  Sure, which is good but it was a terrible word to use to start the dialog because of it's actual meaning.  

Well actually, stop really means check all directions for conflicting traffic, both vehicular and pedestrian, before proceeding. If you can do that before physically coming to a complete stop then you're all good! It's just too many words to fit on the sign and it would require a higher understanding of the English language than STOP, which would further oppress immigrants - legal or otherwise. 

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Well actually, stop really means check all directions for conflicting traffic, both vehicular and pedestrian, before proceeding. If you can do that before physically coming to a complete stop then you're all good! It's just too many words to fit on the sign and it would require a higher understanding of the English language than STOP, which would further oppress immigrants - legal or otherwise. 

***** lawyers.................

5 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

No, that’s what yield means. Stop means stop.

8 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

In my state stop is actually defined as “a complete cessation from movement”.. lol. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

In my state stop is actually defined as “a complete cessation from movement”.. lol. 

Which any high school physics student can tell you is impossible at any temperature above absolute zero, so ...

?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Which any high school physics student can tell you is impossible at any temperature above absolute zero, so ...

?

Dude, I would die if someone used that as a defense in court! “Judge, I request the case against the defendant be dismissed!”

• Haha (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, Margarita said:

yeah Im snarking at you all while you argue semantics and knowledge about what a sign used in a protest rally really means.....

I bring up what the sign says is only the surface message but Im eviscerated for having that opinion. And if you google "what does defunding the police really mean" it explains well beyond the dictionary definition..which I tried to do also. I'll say this one last time ...even if there are a few fringe people whom wish the police eliminated completely devoid of funding  do you honestly think that is mainstream thought but that it would ever happen to that severe extreme? YEP Lets allow a sign to dictate our futures and push that anarchy button to justify it  Because im RIGHT defund means DEFUND OF ALL FUNDING..the sign says so thats what it means to everyone sum total BOOM..Defund.

please...... 

You mad sis?

48 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

It's the point in which the vehicle rocks backwards while in the process of stopping. 

1 hour ago, Margarita said:

please...... 

You're spending a lot of time and effort trying to explain away a misuse of the English language. You remind me of the protester carrying the sign that called others "morans". 

1 hour ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

No it wouldn’t.  For lots of reasons.  First of which is that the police are far from the only thing I’d see abolished.

What lots of reasons? In the late 1700s and early 1800s in England you basically had to pay for police services and/or you had to hire your own muscle to keep you safe. After that, it got worse as many would have to stand the cost of the prosecution if you wanted someone who personally harmed you prosecuted for the crime, but I did not mean my comment to go that far. If you took it to that extreme, my apologies as I only meant paying for your own police services (and/or muscle to keep you safe).

The mafia and gangs are also a way to keep someone safe (from other gangs or mafia). Some were pay (mafia got paid to allow you to not get hurt and your business to go on uninjured), some worked for the mob. The gangs protect you (generic you!) from other gangs.

All of this is, of course, simplistic. There is a history of what happens when you do not have a police force that is "free" for everyone equally under the law.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, westside2 said:

You mad sis?

no I'm not mad I'm frustrated. WAS. I'm done. Dang those people not writing signs verbalizing every fact or nuance on their premise. Shame on them. Shame on Me thinking any other view is worth considering. Echo chamber yourselves to kingdom come. 

DEFUND PPP. lol 

10 minutes ago, Margarita said:

no I'm not mad I'm frustrated. WAS. I'm done. Dang those people not writing signs verbalizing every fact or nuance on their premise. Shame on them. Shame on Me thinking any other view is worth considering. Echo chamber yourselves to kingdom come. 

DEFUND PPP. lol 

Don't let it get to you. It's not worth it. You can't change the world. Only yourself. I don't agree with you politically, but we're all human beings. All we can do is practice kindness and forgiveness. ( Not you in particular)

12 minutes ago, Margarita said:

DEFUND PPP. lol 

So, defund the police does not mean take their money away? It means something else?