Ed Oliver Arrested DWI

12 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

Texas does require a permit for handguns.  It is very easy to get, considering he has lived there his whole life no reason why he should not have it.  

I believe the only reason for him to catch a gun charge would be because of not having the permit.  

If this is the case he is a real idiot!!!

no it doesn’t. It is an open carry state. To carry Concealed YES you need a permit 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, noacls said:

Are gun law senteces in texas mandatory like New York state? Thanks bobby

no because there is no charge. It is an add on crime. It is a Misdemeanor (if not tossed). Nothing like NYS laws 

• Thank you (+1) 2

Relax. He made a stupid mistake. He's a kid. He'll learn (I hope). I hope his impending suspension is his wakeup call. I'll be so disappointed if he's the next Darius. I'll wager he's gonna have a very difficult conversation with McDermott in the near future. He was supposed to make a big jump in progress this year. Let's hope that process doesn't get derailed. Why do these guys have to drive around with guns anyways? Just to show off? He needs to grow up.

3 minutes ago, pop gun said:

Doubt he gets suspended at all.

1st offense. McDermott is his biggest worry.

10 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Not great. 

I think we’ll be fine with Butler and Jefferson, though losing him will hurt. I’m more concerned about what it could do to derail his career. Hopefully he can get back to himself and stay out of trouble. 

I think the suspension will be next year, so hard to say what the DL will look like at that point 

He should be more scared of McDermott than the legal system. Honestly it doesn't look like he did something terrible, just stupid. He looks remorseful and I don't think it will be a pattern. Pretty stupid mistake but it's not as bad as I feared from the headline. Probably will end up with a minor game suspension in 2021. 2 games if the weapons charge gets dropped, otherwise 4.

13 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Not great. 

I think we’ll be fine with Butler and Jefferson, though losing him will hurt. I’m more concerned about what it could do to derail his career. Hopefully he can get back to himself and stay out of trouble. 

No, it's not great.  But he's hardly the first pro athlete who got a DUI.  Ed can turn this around and move past it, if he wants to.  He has to realize the mistake and make a concerted effort not to repeat it.  I'm confident the Bills organization and Ed will be able to move past this.  But again, it is up to Ed.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

no because there is no charge. It is an add on crime. It is a Misdemeanor (if not tossed). Nothing like NYS laws 

Thanks MAJBobby for educating people about "open carry states" and the difference between open carry and concealed permits.

Colorado is open carry too and it's weird but when I lived in Texas it was just a few miles away from where this incident took place.

I agree with your opinions and all that is left is to wait for the BAC test results to see what is going to happen.

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Well, o have had my license since 78, never been cited for an open container. 

now I gots big problem with driving while drunk , that rightly is and should be strictly enforced. I just don’t understand why if I have 3 beers in a bar, get in a car and drive home that is somehow okay, but if I have a beer as I am driving to the Home Depot and back it is somehow illegal, and worse to some people immoral. It’s a dumb law. What matters is how much I drink, not where I drink it. 

I’ll add to this. From an ADA in Buffalo. Open container while driving is a non-moving violation. 0 points. 99.9% of the time will only result in a ticket for about $100. 

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Thanks MAJBobby for educating people about "open carry states" and the difference between open carry and concealed permits.

Colorado is open carry too and it's weird but when I lived in Texas it was just a few miles away from where this incident took place.

I agree with your opinions and all that is left is to wait for the BAC test results to see what is going to happen.

People would be shocked at the things a good defense lawyer can do to undermine a DWI charge...

A little birdie told me, if you ever get pulled over: never admit to having even a drop of alcohol.

The officers all have dash cams, and if you say you'e been drinking, their leniency goes right out the window. Letting you off the hook and then you plow into a pedestrian WHILE THEY HAVE YOU ON TAPE saying you've been drinking... their life is over too.

If you simply say "I've had nothing to drink," you could smell like a bottle redemption center and be blackout, and they still might let you go.
Even if the cop says "are you being honest with me?"
Your answer remains: "Yes. I've had absolutely nothing to drink."

Or so I've been told...

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

I hope he gets at least 200 hours of community service from the courts(that should keep him busy)

Considering how much time some players spend on charities it may just offset it and if judge says "it does not count, you need to spend it in this jurisdiction doing menial labor picking up trash" he should make a big deal on it, giving bad publicity to jurisdiction.  Lots of local businessmen get off with a lot less.  In one company I worked at officer did community service for charity associated with company.  Everything was going well until he was caught drinking and driving while he was supposed to doing community service and investigation revealed he spent no time at charity but charity person just checked off box saying he did.