Andy Dalton Released

17 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I think Pittsburgh would be interesting.  Their season fell apart last year because all their backups are terrible.  Roethlisberger has missed time in 4 of 5 seasons, he's 38... they should have a backup plan. 

That's not a bad fit, but I think Dalton would prefer to have a chance at a starting position. In Jacksonville and NE he has a chance to start. With the Steelers he is definitely a backup. 

28 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

If I have to predict anything I would say that he goes to Jacksonville as a backup who competes for a starting job. Patriots would be the next likely destination. 

Pats have no cap room to afford him right now. I don’t know why nobody understands this

1 minute ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Pats have no cap room to afford him right now. I don’t know why nobody understands this

They could make cap space and backload his deal to have a small cap hit in 2020. It isn't like teams can't maneuver the salary cap to get 5-7 million in space. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

They could make cap space and backload his deal to have a small cap hit in 2020. It isn't like teams can't maneuver the salary cap to get 5-7 million in space. 

You do understand in order for them to make cap space Belichick would have to gut the team completely and includes cutting Gilmore since no one would trade for his contract

lets hope he doesn't go to the patriots 

Dalton on that team would perform better than Brady did last season. and their defense won't drop out of the top 5 so they are still a threat. 

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

we should try and sign dalton just to keep him from other teams. would be an excellent backup. 

yup. One could argue a 4-5 week long injury to Allen and our season is basically over. we have no room for errors next season with that schedule, and Barkley or Fromm isn't going to be winning very many games. 

Edited by Penfield45

14 minutes ago, Happy said:

Yeah, not a new idea.  Been discussed for a couple of weeks.

Not to mention six hours ago and still on the front page:

Edited by WhoTom
  • Haha (+1) 1

I'm not sure why Dalton would even WANT to go to the Pats.

They look like they are on the downslide. They player an even tougher schedule than we do.

If they end up 9-7 or (likely) worse, the narrative goes from "Belichick is nothing without Brady" to "Dalton sucks and couldnt get the Pats to the Super Bowl". He becomes the convenient whipping boy for the fans who would rather trash anyone than Brady or Belichick.

On top of it, he'd likely have to take the biggest pay cut going to New England.

So less money, with more to lose.

Nah.

47 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

That's not a bad fit, but I think Dalton would prefer to have a chance at a starting position. In Jacksonville and NE he has a chance to start. With the Steelers he is definitely a backup. 

True - but with Cam still hanging out there.  Might be a better chance at a ring as well if that's something he's going for. 

21 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm not sure why Dalton would even WANT to go to the Pats..

On top of it, he'd likely have to take the biggest pay cut going to New England.

So less money, with more to lose.

Nah.

Which team will give him more money and a very strong possibility of starting . Especially one that has a great D and coach ?

This is Dalton's best chance to game manage his way nto the playoffs

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Which team will give him more money and a very strong possibility of starting . Especially one that has a great D and coach ?

This is Dalton's best chance to game manage his way nto the playoffs

He's been in the playoffs plenty. He needs to stop losing in the playoffs. Especially to teams like the Texans when they're QB'd by TJ Yates...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Everybody understands that they currently don't have cap space.  But they can create a bit more,  back end Dalton's contract.  Also,  never under estimate a player's drive to prove himself after being dumped by his only employer

• Like (+1) 1