OJ Howard likely available after Gronk Trade - Do we want him?

2 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I don’t understand why they would have to get rid of Howard. 
Gronk, Howard and Brate is a pretty fantastic group of tight ends for a quarterback that knows how to use them. On top of the fact you can’t count on a healthy gronk 16 games. Be silly to trade him it’s not like his contract is big or his value is high right now. 

It makes zero sense.  If anything, they should trade Brate.  He’s at his ceiling and has maximized his trade value.  You are selling really low on Howard.  But there are a lot of dumb nfl GMs.

• Like (+1) 1

Howard would be an upgrade over at least one TE on our roster. But if we can only trade for one new player, I would like it to be Fournette. He’s the perfect power back compliment to Motor.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, mattynh said:

He's been a disapointment in the receiving game vs his supposed potential.   How has his blocking been?

But there are many factors why this could be.  Arians runs an offense that doesn’t use TEs.  They have a lot of weapons and Winston likes Brate.

talent wise, he is as talented as TE in the nfl.  You acquire talent guys who have no character issues for low draft picks and hope the light turns on.  This was the case with Jerry Hughes.  There is not TE in this draft that as good as Howard available in the 4th.  

Source who spoke regarding Fournette said the Bills are "100% focused on the draft". I think players like Howard and Fournette are more likely to be moved during or immediately following the draft than before. At this point, I think Beane and most teams would like to see how the board falls before swinging a deal for a vet.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DFT said:

You don’t give up on an ultra athletic, generational tight end talent like Lee Smith, who’s just about ready to peak!!!!

32 is the age where tight ends begin to shine!  It’s science....

Ya, plus he's a hall of fame when it comes to false starts

33 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Source who spoke regarding Fournette said the Bills are "100% focused on the draft". I think players like Howard and Fournette are more likely to be moved during or immediately following the draft than before. At this point, I think Beane and most teams would like to see how the board falls before swinging a deal for a vet.

yes

I like Fournette and Howard on our team, but understand if we wait to see if they are cut.  Fournette is a great compliment to Singletary, and Howard is far better than Smith or Kroft.  I don’t see much savings if we cut those TE’s, but from a talent standpoint, it’s an upgrade.  Fournette is a cap friendly deal and a late pick or just draft someone.  They are not just haves, but upgrades over our current talent.

Honestly, I think they might just outright release him with Gronk there now. He hasn't quite lived up to his draft position. He's a monster freak athlete but in 3 seasons hasn't quite put it together yet. Mabe part of that is Jameis Winston though, I don't know

How much do they want for him?  And why didn't Belichick get him in trade for Gronk?  Ben Watson was their leading TE last year with 17 catches for 173 yards...and he retired (again).  Not to mention this is a lousy draft for TEs.

Edited by Doc

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

Much rather have Brate.  He’s better and is on a decent contract for the next few years. He and Knox would be a nice pairing imo.  He’s what everyone hopes Sweeney might become if everything works out perfectly for him.  I’ll take the sure thing for 6-7 mill

i’d really only want to trade a 5th or lower.

Because Arians system doesn’t really utilize tight ends as it is. Now he has 3.  Why not trade the guy that sat the bench all last season and is due to leave after the upcoming season

I read today that Howard played twice as many snaps as Brate did, but Brate is almost exclusively used in pass patterns. 

I still like Howard a lot. Bills are fine at TE. I think Knox is going to be great this year. Howard is a capable blocker that would allow them to cut Lee Smith. 

I'd trade 4th and 5rh/6th draft picks respectively for Fournette and Howard and go all in this year. Use 2nd and 3rd on edge rushers.