Any Position the Bills wouldn't take the BPA in Round 2?

BisonMan

I've seen a lot of mock drafts, including some that go through the 2nd round (which I think is ridiculous). I also see a lot of chatter about which position the Bills will draft for this year, including RB, EDGE, CB, OLB, etc.

I think the reality is that the Bills feel pretty good about their current roster and one of the reasons they were willing to trade away later round draft picks this year for Diggs. Those guys weren't likely to make the team anyway.

So, my question is: Is there many (any?) positions on the roster where the Bills won't pick the Best Player Available (BPA) with their 2nd round pick? Would they really reach for a player to fill a need with that pick, or even their 3rd rounder?

The only position where I think they wouldn't pick is QB.

Any others you think they would avoid the BPA at pick 2? If so, why?

9 minutes ago, qwksilver said:

How do we feel about TE at 54. I can't see BPA or need there.

For me, it's more about value. If Beane and Co. pull the trigger on a TE then they are convinced he's a game changer and I trust them more than anyone else. But, if I'm armchair GM, I just don't think it's worth the investment unless they're convinced they have a Gronk on their hands. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, qwksilver said:

How do we feel about TE at 54. I can't see BPA or need there.

I listened to the moving the chains 2 round mock. They did not really have a plan at #54 with no obvious needs. They said they would do BPA. That ended up as a TE however they went OL instead. ?

• Haha (+1) 1

In a different thread, I said I wouldn't be surprised by any pick outside of QB, P, and K.  Reading Buffalo Timmy's post, I'll add FB.  

I agree with BisonMan that the Bills probably feel good about the roster and aren't thinking a lot about positional needs going into the draft.  GMs say "BPA" all the time but in fact balance BPA with need.  But I think Beane truly is looking for the BPA.  

Needless to say, the Bills are more likely to draft good players if they're thinking BPA instead of roster spots they need to fill.  So despite the lack of a pick in the 1st round, I'm looking forward to this draft.   

And when the first round is in progress, I'm going to imagine Roger Goodell saying, "And with the 22nd pick of the 2020 NFL draft, the Bills select Stefon Diggs!"

44 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I can't see them taking a QB or Linebacker. 

I think we probably target OL or DL. 

disagree on LB.  I could easily see an OLB for long term.  Start special teams and provide depth 

• Like (+1) 2

It one considers talent as a need, then they will draft for need. 

Go Bills!!!

Let's say due to his injury history that for that reason Tua falls to our pick at 54 would you not take a player like him because we have Josh ? 

I'm all in on Josh i love his heart & his love for the Bills & Buffalo, I think that if he continues the way he has he will be our guy at QB for a long time but he has the same type of knocks against him as EJ did coming out but i think Josh can over come his short comings .

But back to my original question would you pass on Tua at 54 ? I'm thinking that if that type of player is there at our pick you take him just like the Bills did with Mcgahee that way if for some reason injury or other wise if something should go wrong they have a really good alternative . 

But i don't see that happening ...

2 minutes ago, T master said:

Let's say due to his injury history that for that reason Tua falls to our pick at 54 would you not take a player like him because we have Josh ? 

I'm all in on Josh i love his heart & his love for the Bills & Buffalo, I think that if he continues the way he has he will be our guy at QB for a long time but he has the same type of knocks against him as EJ did coming out but i think Josh can over come his short comings .

But back to my original question would you pass on Tua at 54 ? I'm thinking that if that type of player is there at our pick you take him just like the Bills did with Mcgahee that way if for some reason injury or other wise if something should go wrong they have a really good alternative . 

But i don't see that happening ...

It depends - why is he falling?  That is a huge drop - so is he really BPA or just because some pre-draft manuals say he is top 10 talent - maybe the GMs really see him as the 60th best talent.

The hardest part about BPA is we do not see how they have things set.

If Tua was there at 54 and he was the Bills BPA and they are getting no trade requests - then I would have no issues with the Bills drafting him.

More realistically from the QB ranks is the 7th or 8th best QB the BPA as that position is typically over drafted versus the number 7 CB or number 3/4 RB or the #11 WR? 

1 hour ago, BisonMan said:

I've seen a lot of mock drafts, including some that go through the 2nd round (which I think is ridiculous). I also see a lot of chatter about which position the Bills will draft for this year, including RB, EDGE, CB, OLB, etc.

I think the reality is that the Bills feel pretty good about their current roster and one of the reasons they were willing to trade away later round draft picks this year for Diggs. Those guys weren't likely to make the team anyway.

So, my question is: Is there many (any?) positions on the roster where the Bills won't pick the Best Player Available (BPA) with their 2nd round pick? Would they really reach for a player to fill a need with that pick, or even their 3rd rounder?

The only position where I think they wouldn't pick is QB.

Any others you think they would avoid the BPA at pick 2? If so, why?

Kicker or Punter.  That is the only positions I would not take in the 2nd round

They will not take a QB.  Doesnt matter who is there, there is 0% chance they take a QB.  

They also will not draft a kicker of any kind.  

Everything else is fair game, although I do still think its less likely it would be a WR as Beane has repeatedly boasted about the depth of this class and how guys taken in rounds 4 and 5 will be prospects that push starters for their spots in this draft.  So I find it hard to see Beane using our first and 3 other picks on a WR then using our 2nd as well.  Although I won't be surprised to see Beane take a WR in the draft, just don't think its likely unless someone they absolutely covet and love falls there and is BPA by a wide margin on his board.  

I think the most likely position drafted there is RB, DE, OL, DB in no particular order.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

I think RB is not an option in Round 2 also, despite what the mock drafts are saying.  It just makes absolutely no sense on any level to draft an RB in Round 2, when you've got no first round pick, you drafted a very good one in Round 3 last year, RBs are cheap, there are a number of FAs available, and the team has other, much more important positions to bolster.