Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Inigo Montoya

Bills are 3 pieces away from Super Bowl

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

"....The Bills finished 12th in the League last year with 44 sacks.  For reference, the top squad was Pittsburgh with 54..."    That is only a difference of 10 sacks over 16 + games.  Sorry, but I wonder if the extra sack might be balanced out by the opposing offense getting 10 extra big chunk plays by running inside the tackle when the DE took a wide loop, or slipping a TE into that vacated part of the field. or a QB scramble or a QB leaving the pocket & breaking down the pass defense structure to find somebody open.   Maybe we could compare Buffalo and Pittsburg passing defense in 2019. Bills 3123 yards,,, Steelers 3113 yards.  Essentially the same. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/opp.htm

 

A DE can not both strongly rush the passer AND control his gap and area of the field.

The vast majority can’t for sure! He would have to be one of the special few players that can. Example would be Bruce Smith!

 

I think that Mcd feels it’s better to get pressure on the Qb collectively as a unit! Lots of bodies that are interchangeable with an  occasional  blitz from say a linebacker or def. back! 

As far as finding another rb to compliment Singletary. I’m not sure that management is sold exclusively on him. Or any back for that matter. They are relatively interchangeable and not as coveted as they once were. Maybe if you could find another Thurman Thomas then he could be the feature guy! They definitely appear to be looking to add to that position in the draft. Going to be interesting to see what kind of back it is? A one cut power back that can move the pile or someone else like Singletary that has great instincts and makes defenders miss? I like Motor a lot and have been impressed with him. Reminds me of Shady but doesn’t go down near as easily! Not sure if he can be the feature back game in and game out for the next 6 - 8 years??

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, inaugural balls said:

 

Don't view it as a back up role. The other back needs to be very instrumental is the success of the offense. 

 

AJ Dillon would be that player. With our stout D this HAMMER of a man would ice many a game as I believe we'll play with a lead often. 

Exactly...ideally we would have two RBs splitting reps down the middle...

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Clowney is still out there. I really hope Beane makes a pitch. 

I’m not sure how I feel about Clowney, seems like he’s never lived up to expectations. Do the Bills have enough cap space left for what it would take to sign him?

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Love the team, but frankly, the biggest piece from last year was the schedule. Its a missing piece now.

I respectfully disagree.

 

We comfortably won our way into the playoffs on that schedule.  We could have won more games but McDermott played conservatively, knowing we had 10+ wins in the bag.  Example: second Patriots game.  We could have won that game, but NE just wanted the win more.  I even think we would have taken more risks and possibly won earlier games if we had a tougher schedule ahead, example Cleveland game.  We won the games we had to win, which mostly weren't that hard, and the rest we were willing to let ride rather than take a big risk on Allen getting hurt again or making an embarrassing mistake.  The Baltimore game is another example of a game we lost because the other side just seemed to want it more.

 

My first point being:  we didn't need the creampuff schedule last year to make the playoffs.

 

My second point now: that creampuff schedule HURT us in the playoffs.  Playing tough teams all year is great training for the playoffs.  Playing easy teams is negative training for the playoffs.  I think we were honestly surprised how hard that first game was, after mostly easy games all year.  

 

I hope this year's schedule is more challenging, as we need the hard play and we need to have some HUNGER going in to the playoffs.  We need to get used to taking risks to win games because we wont win the playoffs with a conservative game plan.  With all due respect to Marv, we have to take a page from BB and learn to approach each and every game as a "must win", and a tougher schedule will force us to do that.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, White Linen said:

How is our defense coming back essentially intact when 4 players that had significant playing time are not coming back?  There's more changes there than on offense.

 

Maybe not intact from the players that were there last season but according to some the players they have signed are better than those they lost so hopefully they won't lose a step they can gain one .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MJS said:

I don't believe that a backup running back will make or break a team's Superbowl chances.

 

I will argue that the O-Line needs a boost - having a year together will help no doubt but still....

 

Having a second RB so Motor doesn't blow a gasket from overuse is HUGE.

 

Allen needs to keep his upward trajectory.

 

People need to stay home so the virus is over sooner rather than later.........

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

 With all due respect to Marv, we have to take a page from BB and learn to approach each and every game as a "must win", and a tougher schedule will force us to do that.

 

 

 This, this and THIS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, inaugural balls said:

 

Don't view it as a back up role. The other back needs to be very instrumental is the success of the offense. 

 

AJ Dillon would be that player. With our stout D this HAMMER of a man would ice many a game as I believe we'll play with a lead often. 

Back in the day, the Bills had Thurman Thomas and Kenny Davis.  Different style runners......and made it to the SB 4 times. Neither was a hammer. The second back doesn't need to be a hammer necessarily imho.   I personally like the RB guy from LSU..........

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, T master said:

 

Maybe not intact from the players that were there last season but according to some the players they have signed are better than those they lost so hopefully they won't lose a step they can gain one .

 

I get that but it's certainly an unknown as the players that left played well.  I think we upgraded in a couple areas too but I definitely don't get the feeling that the defense needs to be shelved as that's taken care of - let's talk about other factors for a succesful season........

 

 

 

Edited by White Linen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's all on Allen.  He needs to improve dramatically, and perform on that new level CONSISTENTLY, for the team to take the next step.

 

The surrounding pieces are good enough to make the playoffs and have a shot at doing something in them. 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

It's all on Allen.  He needs to improve dramatically, and perform on that new level CONSISTENTLY, for the team to take the next step.

 

The surrounding pieces are good enough to make the playoffs and have a shot at doing something in them. 

 

 

 

 

 


Ah yes, the guy that scored 29 of the team’s 35 TDs last year is what’s holding them back...and in dramatic fashion no less!

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Motorin' said:

It's not really a backup rb the Bills need, but a 1b who can produce for a quarter or half per game. 

 

I also think the Bills OLine needs to improve. 

 

I think the need will be more clear when Singletary gets banged up or pulls a hammy and misses 2-3 games. THEN what do we do? I remember a few years ago when we were signing guys off the street just to have bodies. Motor needs help in every game, and the team needs depth in case he goes down. 

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MJS said:

For sure, but that doesn't move the needle much on a potential Superbowl win, in my opinion.

We can get the 2nd or 3rd best RB and certainly a top 5. (quality goes down after that).  If we get one of the top four, by midseason Singletary will be the backup. Note also, that we seldom passed to Singletary  He was 29 receiptions on 41 targets for a total of 194 yards.   He is not a weapon to help the other WR's.

 

Compare that 29 receptions to Thurman Thomas

'1988   60

1990    49

1991    61

1992    58

1993    48

 

It is double the number.   A number of the top 5 RB's are excellent receivers this year.  No reason to disarm ourselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chris heff said:

I’m not sure how I feel about Clowney, seems like he’s never lived up to expectations. Do the Bills have enough cap space left for what it would take to sign him?

I think they could find the money, but not unless he readjusts his expectations somewhat. He'd be great in our D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

We can get the 2nd or 3rd best RB and certainly a top 5. (quality goes down after that).  If we get one of the top four, by midseason Singletary will be the backup. Note also, that we seldom passed to Singletary  He was 29 receiptions on 41 targets for a total of 194 yards.   He is not a weapon to help the other WR's.

 

Compare that 29 receptions to Thurman Thomas

'1988   60

1990    49

1991    61

1992    58

1993    48

 

It is double the number.   A number of the top 5 RB's are excellent receivers this year.  No reason to disarm ourselves.

Singletary was a part time starter last year and missed games with a hamstring injury. He didn't start taking significant snaps till later in the season.

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

Back in the day, the Bills had Thurman Thomas and Kenny Davis.  Different style runners......and made it to the SB 4 times. Neither was a hammer. The second back doesn't need to be a hammer necessarily imho.   I personally like the RB guy from LSU..........

A bad thing about E-H is that he is 206 pounds but only 5-7.   3 of the top 5 are about 10-20 pounds heavier and 3-4 inches taller.   ... ....  By the way, do not forget that Denny Davis was considered a first round pick at the beginning of his senior year, but played one game and got caught up in a scandal.  He sat out his senior year, got taken in the 2nd round by the Raiders and came to the Bills after 2 years. He would have been a starter on about half of the teams in the league.  He also got us into the superbowl. In the great comeback win, TT got hurt early and Davis was great in helping to win that game to keep us in the playoffs.   Two great RB's is a good idea.  Singletary woudl be the backup by midseason.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, MJS said:

Singletary was a part time starter last year and missed games with a hamstring injury. He didn't start taking significant snaps till later in the season.

Heh? who was the starter then?  He missed four games. Projected the 12 Games to 16 at his rate would have given 39 receiptions- still way below Thomas. By the way, Thurman did that for 6 years in a row.  We could upgrade the RB pass receiving with several of the top 5 RB's. *********************************************   Saw your response. Agree that he was on course for okay numbers for receiving. Not to a TT level but decent.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Heh? who was the starter then?  He missed four games. Projected the 12 Games to 16 at his rate would have given 39 receiptions- still way below Thomas. By the way, Thurman did that for 6 years in a row.  We could upgrade the RB pass receiving with several of the top 5 RB's.

Gore was the starter for a significant portion of the season. Did you forget about him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...