Would you keep the HC\GM combo if Allen doesn't work out.

10 hours ago, downunderbill said:

When Allen was drafted and during that first season, particularly the first few games, I recall a lot anger and fire everybody posts tying the HC and GMs job to Allen becoming the guy. First off I'm firmly in the Allen corner and believe he is the guy, it's not about if he will be or not. hypothetically, Just say he does severely regress this year and it becomes obvious he isn't the guy, would you be willing to let the current hierarchy have another crack at the QB pick. 

Personally, I definitely would, I love these guys and how they operate, feel they should be here for a long time, Allen working out or not. Whay say you?

Yes, these are the only guys that have a chance of acquiring McCaffrey so if they were to leave I'd be devestated

Sure, if they recognise the mistake like they made with Lotulelei and Kelvin Benjaman and make the necessary moves to fix it. Josh Allen is an outstanding athlete. He's just not a great QB. I'd still give him another season and see if he's any better. If he doesn't start throwing any better by then, I'd trade him for whatever I could get.

I'd definitely try to keep this coaching staff together. Still not sure about Beane -- Still waiting for one of his 1st rounders to start playing like one.

Edited by GreggTX

Yes, I would keep them.

Swinging and missing on a QB happens to everyone, sooner or later, so if they missed on Allen, I don't think it should be fatal.   Twice is a different story.

Plus, if Allen misses, it won't be by much.   He's pretty good right now, when you roll in his running threat.   He's a top 20 quarterback.   He's as productive as a guy like Fitzpatrick.   That is, he's an average to slightly below average starter.   He isn't Ryan Leaf or JP Losman or EJ Manuel.   

So if Allen never grows beyond where he is right now, I'm not coming down hard on McBeane.   But if Allen isn't any better in his third season than he was in his second, McBeane had better be looking hard for an alternative.  

You have to remember, though, that QB development takes time.  Tannehill is a good example.   He had his moments in Miami, but generally he just bumbled along as a marginal starter.   We didn't always see the growth.   Then 2019 happens, and everyone has to reconsider him.   If he puts up another season like 2019, this time as the full-time starter, he will have shown once again that it takes time to grow into a real player in that position.  

11 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Yes. Beane and McD have been the 2nd most competent after Polian/Levy.  You DO NoT get rid of them, they could actually win a SB.  

Allen was the best choice they had so no fault if he is not the man (I think he will be be).  

This team is thriving under Beane/McD.   Keep it going!  

Isn't the premise of the question that, if Allen doesn't work out, there would be no foreseeable scenario of "actually winning a SB"?  If Allen is struggling (and the Bills likely not winning) in the next few seasons, how would the team be thriving? 

Good news with Allen is...if he doesn't pan out we can basically dump him while he's on his rookie contract and move up to draft another QB

We didn't give up the future drafting him and thats the best part. some teams are tied to their 1st round QB's bc they traded the farm for them but Beane was smart in that aspect. 

1 hour ago, eanyills said:

I love when people take a legitimate criticism and twist it out of context.

Never change, TBD.

300 yard passing games don't necessarily matter.  I wouldn't use that as any type of benchmark.

Yes, 100% I would. They’ve done so much good for this team. They don’t deserve to be fired for a swing and a miss on 1 player. And you can totally see why they took a chance on Allen. Every tool is there, he has a high ceiling, his work ethic is top notch, he’s very driven to improve, he’s smart, ultra competitive and plays the game very tough.

If Allen doesn’t work out, I would feel pretty confident that they would learn from it and apply it to the next QB they scout/draft. 

10 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Wouldn’t surprise me, but if Allen goes down and/or struggles and Barkley is forced into action and the team continues to suck offensively as they go .500 or worse they’ll be a lot of fans scratching their heads..... 

Get the Red rifle hear as BU?

I honestly feel like we need to address BU QB sooner rather than later. We all know Josh's playing style can lead to injury for a few games. I guess I just don't have faith in Barkley at all. 

• Like (+1) 1

100% yes and anyone who thinks otherwise needs to understand how intelligent these guys are and how committed they are to winning.

I think I figured Beane out and why he didn't get Hooper or more big splashes beyond Diggs and puts more money on the D-line. It's just more consistent hedging towards defense until they can figure out the offensive side. They figure if they get 1 side REALLY right they will never have a bad team and make the playoffs more often than not.

By not getting big ticket FAs they can hedge with spreading out depth to again get a consistent win cycle without a franchise QB. If it happens they have to figure out how to play the same game they are playing now, which won't work. It's similar to the Steelers until Ben got a huge contract.

This has no bearing on Allen being good or not, it's a strategy to produce a consistent winner, a winner they may not win a SB, but it will consistently win. I think our history of poor play will now be taken over by a team too good to suck, but never good enough to win the SB with their current paradigm, although anything could happen and a QB could catch fire during the playoffs and let the chips fall where they may.

It will be destroyed if they have to pay Josh (or anyone else) $30 million+ money unless he's a thorough-bred. It's better for a Teddy Bridgewater/younger Dalton/or middle of the road starter who will never be a stud, but good enough to spread out the wealth and have a consistent winner and potentially a SB if they slip in like the Titans almost did. Vrabel built his team roughly the same way, but now with the Tannehill situation I'd like to see what his team looks like in 2021.

11 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Wouldn’t surprise me, but if Allen goes down and/or struggles and Barkley is forced into action and the team continues to suck offensively as they go .500 or worse they’ll be a lot of fans scratching their heads..... 

Not the dreaded head scratching!!!

Of course fans will scratching their heads if the Bills finish .500 or worse. I'll be scratching my head as well (no dandruff!)  But only a stupid fan would translate head scratching into something that justifies firing the front office.

• Like (+1) 1