Would you keep the HC\GM combo if Allen doesn't work out.

2 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Add to that, other teams are drafting 1st and 2nd rd OL talent. Then they may find they have an opportunity to trade one away. And then there are TC cuts. 

I'm not saying they WILL make any OL changes. But to conclude they are DONE as of now is absurd.  I don't expect the HUGE NAME so many crave. That's not their typical MO.  And let's not underestimate the value of a group of the same guys (who were an upgrade over the group the year before) playing together in the same system. There is DEFINITE value in that. 

With that said, I'll be shocked if they con't add another piece, or two. Most likely very versatile guys.

My point was they need significant improvement on the line, not lateral moves and depth players. Allen’s mobility hid a lot of deficiencies in the pass blocking. Our 2018 line was horrendous and 2019 was still less than mediocre.

Hey no bodies perfect the Bills fans here would roast them both though i for one think that if they miss they can't all be great picks i would keep them both, but like the OP i believe Josh should do well they have given him every thing to succeed now it's all up to him .

Edited by T master

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Look at Tennessee last year with Tannehill.  I bet Chicago wishes they had a better backup than Chase Daniel last year.  You could argue that Josh is in same place as Mariota and Trubisky after their 2nd year.  Hopefully Josh has a better year 3 than those two, but I’d rather have a guy like a Tannehill as a backup than a guy like Barkley or Chase Daniel.  

Ok, I hear you. Who's available that could save the day? 

Most teams wish their back up was better when they need to rely on them for any length of time.

1 hour ago, SeattleBills said:

I would have gone all-in to get Keenum as back-up. Given he is now gone, I would see how the situation plays out with Winston and Newton. IMO, at least Winston will land in back-up role. 

Keenum is going all in? 

I'm not sure Newton or Winston are options as back ups. I would think there are some starting opportunities. I suppose a team with a questionable starter might be enticing to those guys. 

1 hour ago, Troll Toll said:

FA is basically picked over by this point and we’ve traded away our first round draft pick. I would be shocked to see us add anyone of true quality to the line from here on out.

Wait - I thought we got something in return for that 1st rounder?

Is there an OL out there presently you're clamoring for? 

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

lmao complaining about the backup QB or Tyrod Taylor for that matter

Peterman was a miss. 

These guys have made the playoffs 2/3 years in charge. 

And Allen's going to be a Bill for the next decade so get on board if you haven't already

A particular someone lives in the past. It's his thing. He won't be happy unless Beane fails.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

The offense isn't thriving.  Beane said so in public.

But for the sake of this discussion, if with Allen they struggle to win games for a few seasons, seats can predictably get hot.

And as for "you find another QB".  Really? Just like that?  It took the Bills as a franchise using countless FO staff, coaches, scouts,  etc. 22 seasons to find Allen....

The Bills as an organization are thriving.  I never said the offense was, I am talking big picture.  Can you think big picture?  Stop dissecting my posts and making assumptions when I never said anything about the offense.  I am talking about entire organization.  The perception about Buffalo has changed for a lot of free agents too.  Can you grasp this concept?  

So, The organizing is thriving under Beane/McD.  I think it would be an error to replace them if Allen does not pan out.  That is my answer to the OP.  

Finally, I did not say finding a QB would be easy, but “find another QB” is the reality show Allen nit be the answer.  I don’t think Beane/McD are interested in past foibles by past regimes and I trust they would be better than most any of the execs we have had if they had to draft another qb.  

Edited by Bob in STL

1 hour ago, Troll Toll said:

It is a little scary. Last night on NFL Network I caught the end of last year’s second game against the Patriots. Allen made a great throw to Beasley that got us down to ~10 yard line inside 2 minutes. From there...

1st Down: DaBoll calls a QB sweep that doesn’t go anywhere. I put that on both DaBoll and the line.

2nd Down: Allen misses a TD to Knox in the corner of the end zone by a foot. I remember after the game many put this on Allen, but I still feel like a better TE makes that play.

3rd Down: Sack from immediate pressure on the right AND up the middle where Pats only rushed 4?

4th Down: Allen struggles to heave one to John Brown in the end zone facing instant pressure from all angles.

Between DaBoll wasting a down with a bad running play, our late round TE essentially dropping a pass, and our offensive line not blocking we lose that game. I think that was a microcosm of the season on offense and those 3 areas haven’t been addressed so far...

Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy we have Diggs, but receiver was not the only place on offense we needed significant improvement. There is a reason we were in the bottom third of the NFL on offense beyond one receiver.

Why can't some just see....just realize....the arrow points upward? Doesn't guarantee anything, but man, if you can't see the strides this team is making it's because you opt not to. 

This organization is in good hands. Stop trying to rip it down when there is no reason to. All so you can say I told you so.

1 minute ago, Troll Toll said:

Thanks for making my point?

I did? explain

15 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

Why can't some just see....just realize....the arrow points upward? Doesn't guarantee anything, but man, if you can't see the strides this team is making it's because you opt not to. 

This organization is in good hands. Stop trying to rip it down when there is no reason to. All so you can say I told you so.

I did? explain

I definitely agree that the arrow points upward. I’m more or less making the case that IF we wind up under .500 next season, I think it would more likely be due to OL issues and/or lack of depth at receiver (in the case of an injury to one of our top 3) than Allen’s level of play.

20 hours ago, downunderbill said:

When Allen was drafted and during that first season, particularly the first few games, I recall a lot anger and fire everybody posts tying the HC and GMs job to Allen becoming the guy. First off I'm firmly in the Allen corner and believe he is the guy, it's not about if he will be or not. hypothetically, Just say he does severely regress this year and it becomes obvious he isn't the guy, would you be willing to let the current hierarchy have another crack at the QB pick. 

Personally, I definitely would, I love these guys and how they operate, feel they should be here for a long time, Allen working out or not. Whay say you?

they only really had three options when it became their turn. Rosen, Allen or Jackson. we all know how Rosen is turning out so that was a good non-choice. is Jackson really better than Allen or is he a byproduct of the system Roman has traditionally run? will defenses catch up to the Ravens and Jackson this year?  i don't really know but i suspect Jackson is not as good as advertised.

in the long run, Allen has a real good chance to be better and the best QB of that draft. you don't make those evaluations after two years, you make them after 4, at minimum.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, inaugural balls said:

Keenum is going all in? 

I'm not sure Newton or Winston are options as back ups. I would think there are some starting opportunities. I suppose a team with a questionable starter might be enticing to those guys. 

As much as you would go “all-in” for back-up QB ? 

21 hours ago, downunderbill said:

When Allen was drafted and during that first season, particularly the first few games, I recall a lot anger and fire everybody posts tying the HC and GMs job to Allen becoming the guy. First off I'm firmly in the Allen corner and believe he is the guy, it's not about if he will be or not. hypothetically, Just say he does severely regress this year and it becomes obvious he isn't the guy, would you be willing to let the current hierarchy have another crack at the QB pick. 

Personally, I definitely would, I love these guys and how they operate, feel they should be here for a long time, Allen working out or not. Whay say you?

I would be willing to give them more time depending on how they handled the situation of having a first round QB who obviously isn't "the guy".  I think that they've built a good enough team to win at least 9-10 games a season and compete for the playoffs even with only modest QB play.  Do they do stand pat with that --  a QB not good enough to make them real contenders -- or do they do something about that to get better? 

Two teams that were also "a QB short" of a playoff powerhouse within the last decade give some possible responses ...

• Minnesota drafted a first round bust in 2011 -- Christian Ponder -- who lasted only 4 years in the league.  They then drafted Teddy Bridgewater at the end of the first round in 2014 who was very promising until his terrible knee injury came close to ending his career. Finally, they went "all in" on Kirk Cousins.
  • Tennessee was in that situation with Mariota when Vrabel became HC.  They decided to bring in a better QB in 2019 and then decided to play him when Mariota failed to move the team early in the season.   Chicago seems to be following Tennessee's example by bringing in Nick Foles just in case Trubisky can't be effective.

These aren't the only two solutions, but they are examples of teams being proactive about their QB situation, and that's what I'd like to see Beane and McDermott be as well.

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, inaugural balls said:

Ok, I hear you. Who's available that could save the day? 

Most teams wish their back up was better when they need to rely on them for any length of time.

I don’t see anybody available right now that is significantly better than Barkley, unless Cam wants to take $5m for a medical redshirt year where he can get healthy and maybe you turn to him at the end of the year if Josh struggles.  
Outside of that I’d look hard at taking a guy in the 4th or 5th round with more upside than Barkley.  
If Josh gets injured or struggles next year, we will all be pissed when Barkley is all we have to turn to.