Would you keep the HC\GM combo if Allen doesn't work out.

52 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

He was instrumental, sure. 

For this team to progress, he needs to elevate. The pieces are in place and JA in year 3 has me extremely optimistic. 

Allen definitely needs to elevate. We have a top 5 defense though and one of the league’s best RBs, he’ll have some teammates he can lean on. I think if Allen can net 4,000yds 30TDs to 12INTs we’ll probably be bringing home a Lombardi, this team is stacked.

38 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

OK possibly but who would you rather have at MLB right now over Edmunds? Top of my head I can only think of Leonard, Roquan Smith, and MAYBE Jaylon Smith rn...that's where I get my take on Edmunds...

CJ Mosely when healthy almost singlehandedly beat the Bills. That dude's a beast.

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

I agree with all of this.

Beane is closer to a Whaley type GM right now. Has made some nice moves, found some hidden gems in the draft and good FA pickups, but is missing the signature pick. Has had his busts like all GM’s do.

It’s funny, you could make the argument that pound for pound, McD was the one who orchestrated the best offseason when he was driving the whole ship. Acquiring Poyer, Hyde, White, Dawkins and Milano is a better group of players than either Beane or Whaley ever acquired. That may change as Edmunds, Oliver and most importantly Allen grow.

There is just nothing to back this up. The same guy who didn't have enough information to draft a QB just happened to take over for the rest of it? Poyer and Hyde are just a few FA finds in the Whaley era and White would be the 3rd very good to great DB. He might have had input, but I doubt very much that McD ran that off-season on his own. 

17 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Josh Allen isn't the acid test, McD's game management is.  Let's hope he doesn't boot another first-round playoff game against an inferior opponent.

Yes!

Hopefully there is some accountability if McD's game management keeps costing us. Not sure how the "he's a new first-time coach" excuse can still apply to Year 4. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

The team is thriving right now and Allen is developing right now.   

If Allen does not make it then you find another QB.  You do not get rid of Beane/McD because of it.  Let Beane make the changes,  which does not mean blow it up and start over.   Beane’s  body of work is more than Allen, although Allen is key because QB is always critical.  

The offense isn't thriving.  Beane said so in public.

But for the sake of this discussion, if with Allen they struggle to win games for a few seasons, seats can predictably get hot.

And as for "you find another QB".  Really? Just like that?  It took the Bills as a franchise using countless FO staff, coaches, scouts,  etc. 22 seasons to find Allen....

1 hour ago, inaugural balls said:

So, if Josh can't get it done you'd expect a back up to deliver the goods?

Look at Tennessee last year with Tannehill.  I bet Chicago wishes they had a better backup than Chase Daniel last year.  You could argue that Josh is in same place as Mariota and Trubisky after their 2nd year.  Hopefully Josh has a better year 3 than those two, but I’d rather have a guy like a Tannehill as a backup than a guy like Barkley or Chase Daniel.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, inaugural balls said:

Who would you suggest as backup that you'd be comfortable with should JA go down?

I would have gone all-in to get Keenum as back-up. Given he is now gone, I would see how the situation plays out with Winston and Newton. IMO, at least Winston will land in back-up role. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The offense isn't thriving.  Beane said so in public.

But for the sake of this discussion, if with Allen they struggle to win games for a few seasons, seats can predictably get hot.

And as for "you find another QB".  Really? Just like that?  It took the Bills as a franchise using countless FO staff, coaches, scouts,  etc. 22 seasons to find Allen....

That’s why I didn’t get why fans would be so quick to want them to get another shot if Allen doesn’t make it.  Here’s what they done with the qb position:

- draft Nate peterman 

- put Tyrod Taylor in a west coach offense, traded away Watkins weeks before the season and replaced him with Jordan Matthews and Kelvin Benjamin 

- benched Tyrod for Peterman and saw one of the worst nfl starts in history

- went into last year with Allen, a rookie, and Peterman as the only qbs on the roster

- started Nate again who reminded us why he was one of the worst qbs ever

- cut peterman and brought the corpse of Derek Anderson out of retirement who had to start 2 games

- got Matt Barkley and his 65 career qb rating off the scrap heap

so yeah, I’m not so sure why everyone is so sold on this regime knowing what the hell they are doing with qbs.  If they fail with the highest drafted qb in franchise history (and hopefully they won’t), why do they deserve another shot again?  Because it’s been pretty awful at qb besides hopefully Allen,

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Look at Tennessee last year with Tannehill.  I bet Chicago wishes they had a better backup than Chase Daniel last year.  You could argue that Josh is in same place as Mariota and Trubisky after their 2nd year.  Hopefully Josh has a better year 3 than those two, but I’d rather have a guy like a Tannehill as a backup than a guy like Barkley or Chase Daniel.  

So many fans are just content with Barkley.  It’s weird.  Nice guy but might not even be in the nfl if we didn’t have him. 

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, The Dean said:

You do realize it is only MARCH of 2020? FA nowhere near done. Draft hasn't happened yet. Etc. How are you claiming the Offensive Line went unaddressed in 2020, when the addressing is just starting?

FA is basically picked over by this point and we’ve traded away our first round draft pick. I would be shocked to see us add anyone of true quality to the line from here on out.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

FA is basically picked over by this point and we’ve traded away our first round draft pick. I would be shocked to see us add anyone of true quality to the line from here on out.

Right or wrong, looks like they’re betting on continuity on the line breeds improvement this year. 

lmao complaining about the backup QB or Tyrod Taylor for that matter

Peterman was a miss. 

These guys have made the playoffs 2/3 years in charge. 

And Allen's going to be a Bill for the next decade so get on board if you haven't already

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

It's not hard to find quality iOL in the 2nd round. Just look at Dalton Risner, Elgton Jenkins, and Erik McCoy from year.

33 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

Picked over is a bit much...there’s 9 starting OTs on the market right now, just as an example.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

OK possibly but who would you rather have at MLB right now over Edmunds? Top of my head I can only think of Leonard, Roquan Smith, and MAYBE Jaylon Smith rn...that's where I get my take on Edmunds...

As in right now to play a game tomorrow? I think Kendricks and Wagner are still right up there. And Trevethan come to think of it and I would probably take Joe Schobert too. 

If you are asking who I'd rather have under contract for the next 3 years then yes... only Leonard, Roquan and Jaylon are in the conversation and to be honest only Leonard do I have definitely ahead. The two Smiths are pay your money and take your choice type decisions as against Edmunds in my opinion. But again... if you are asking this question it is still, in part, projection. 

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

LVE doesn't play MLB and is injured to boot. And at this point w/mileage and age I take Edmunds over Wagner who is great but 8 years older and imo will be overtaken by Edmunds next season

Also Edmunds made the Pro Bowl last season

You don’t factor in age when you’re talking about their play. I’d take Allen over Brees going forward because of age but that doesn’t make Allen more elite than Brees.

Edmunds was a ProBowl alternate last year. That’s better than nothing, but he wasn’t voted as a starter.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

Right or wrong, looks like they’re betting on continuity on the line breeds improvement this year. 

It is a little scary. Last night on NFL Network I caught the end of last year’s second game against the Patriots. Allen made a great throw to Beasley that got us down to ~10 yard line inside 2 minutes. From there...

1st Down: DaBoll calls a QB sweep that doesn’t go anywhere. I put that on both DaBoll and the line.

2nd Down: Allen misses a TD to Knox in the corner of the end zone by a foot. I remember after the game many put this on Allen, but I still feel like a better TE makes that play.

3rd Down: Sack from immediate pressure on the right AND up the middle where Pats only rushed 4?

4th Down: Allen struggles to heave one to John Brown in the end zone facing instant pressure from all angles.

Between DaBoll wasting a down with a bad running play, our late round TE essentially dropping a pass, and our offensive line not blocking we lose that game. I think that was a microcosm of the season on offense and those 3 areas haven’t been addressed so far...

Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy we have Diggs, but receiver was not the only place on offense we needed significant improvement. There is a reason we were in the bottom third of the NFL on offense beyond one receiver.

58 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

There is just nothing to back this up. The same guy who didn't have enough information to draft a QB just happened to take over for the rest of it? Poyer and Hyde are just a few FA finds in the Whaley era and White would be the 3rd very good to great DB. He might have had input, but I doubt very much that McD ran that off-season on his own. 

Lol, you think Whaley was making the calls?

McD already came out and said he was scouting Hyde personally as the DC of the Panthers. 

Youre incorrect if you think Whaley was doing anything outside of what he was told by McD

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

4 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

It's not hard to find quality iOL in the 2nd round. Just look at Dalton Risner, Elgton Jenkins, and Erik McCoy from year.

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Picked over is a bit much...there’s 9 starting OTs on the market right now, just as an example.

Add to that, other teams are drafting 1st and 2nd rd OL talent. Then they may find they have an opportunity to trade one away. And then there are TC cuts. 

I'm not saying they WILL make any OL changes. But to conclude they are DONE as of now is absurd.  I don't expect the HUGE NAME so many crave. That's not their typical MO.  And let's not underestimate the value of a group of the same guys (who were an upgrade over the group the year before) playing together in the same system. There is DEFINITE value in that. 

With that said, I'll be shocked if they con't add another piece, or two. Most likely very versatile guys.

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Lol, you think Whaley was making the calls?

McD already came out and said he was scouting Hyde personally as the DC of the Panthers. 

Youre incorrect if you think Whaley was doing anything outside of what he was told by McD

The biggest thing Whaley did was negotiate the trade with KC. And even then it was two outgoing GMs acting within one would imagine strict parameters set by their HCs.