Would you keep the HC\GM combo if Allen doesn't work out.

Yes. 

I would keep McDermott for sure and because they are tied at the hip that means keeping Beane too.

I like Beane but I do think some around here have a tendency to slightly over rate the job he has done so far. He is in credit, don't get me wrong, but for me to go all in on Beane one of his picks - Allen, Edmunds, Oliver, Singletary, Knox, Ford.... needs to become an elite player. The one guy that this regime has picked who has become an elite player so far is Tre White and that was before Beane. I might argue the next most proven successful pick of the regime is Milano (for performance relative to value given up) and he was also the McDermott draft. If one of Allen, Edmunds or Oliver really takes off (it is likely those 3 to be honest) then I will go all in on Beane being a genius. 

• Like (+1) 2

Yes, from a strategic, cultural and team-building perspective they've done so much right.  Even if Allen doesn't work out and can't be good enough McBeane's research and thought process into the decision to draft him has been well documented and sound.  The QB hit rate, even for those who are top 15 selections is under 50%.  Its the hardest position to peg.  That's just a reality.  I would also argue that under that reality, what we've seen from Allen already has justified the draft pick and their reasoning to take a chance on him.  

I'll add another anecdotal proof point.  When Allen was selected, I would guess-timate that under 50% of this board were excited about the pick, that has been discussed in several previous threads.  I would further guess that near 100% agree with the pick now, two years later.  They've won over a pretty tough audience

They stay.

Edited by cage

What is the criteria for Allen not working out? 

In my opinion Allen has to completely fall apart  which is highly unlikely considering he has made incredible progress in two years. 

I think we all  really need to define what we want in a franchise Qb because depending on your expectations we may or not have one.

If your looking for a HALL of Famer, then only time will tell what Allen becomes. Most teams in the league don’t have  elite qbs. For every Brees, Tom Brady Russell Wilson their is a dozen others like Matt Stafford,  Matt Ryan , Carson Wentz. Guys who are in a second tier class that with proper team building you can win with. Even the titans are going all in on Tannehill. The guy barely made a pass in the postseason.  The lions won’t ever cut bait with Stafford because he is a guy you can win with and qbs are hard to find.  Where the lions failed was never really building a complete team around him. I honestly think they should draft Tua this year (while they have a shot) but they won’t because their is so much pressure in this league to win now. The redskins should even consider it but they probably won’t. 

My second point is that this team our team is  built to win right now. And barring again another monumental collapse we won’t be drafting anywhere near a position to draft another Qb let alone find one in Free Agency.

Beane for even the moves that haven’t worked out deserves a lot of credit for trying to build a complete team. He has put together a defense now going into year 4 I think that has remained pretty well intact. And while  the offense had been ignored for the first few years he Has now put together some pretty nice studs at all the positions filled with veteran and youth.

I would say he has now given Allen the tools to work with, much more so than other young qbs. 

So yes,  a lot will depend on Allen. I think there is definitely a split with this board to what he will become I’m not at all worried. I think Allen is on a path far greater than some think. Again just my opinion. 

If the apocalypse should occur (unlikely)  and we miserably fail, Then we need to know what went wrong and can it be fixed better.

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Josh Allen isn't the acid test, McD's game management is.  Let's hope he doesn't boot another first-round playoff game against an inferior opponent.

McDermott’s mentor Andy Reid was criticized worse for game management.  He drafted a top notch.  Look what happened.

Dont be fooled.  Next year is all about Allen.

• Like (+1) 1