Gore not expected back

BmarvB

4 hours ago, MJS said:

And a Bill, and every other team he played for.

i think he means the team he’d elect to be inducted under. Can only choose one unless they changed the rules.

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...LOL......Melvin reportedly turned down $10 mil/yr from the Chargers and is looking for $13 mil/yr.....LOUDER crickets..............

i thought he actually turned down closer to that $13m number. Guy is delusional. Great back, but not an Elliot type who can command that. Heck look at what Leveon did for the Jets after they paid him. Coach undermining him from jumpstreet. You think any team is stupid enough to pay that anymore for any back past age 25? Not a chance in cheektowaga that happens now.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

i think he means the team he’d elect to be inducted under. Can only choose one unless they changed the rules.

i thought he actually turned down closer to that $13m number. Guy is delusional. Great back, but not an Elliot type who can command that. Heck look at what Leveon did for the Jets after they paid him. Coach undermining him from jumpstreet. You think any team is stupid enough to pay that anymore for any back past age 25? Not a chance in cheektowaga that happens now.

Year
Team
ATT
YDS
AVG
TD
REC
YDS
AVG
TD

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Year
Team
ATT
YDS
AVG
TD
REC
YDS
AVG
TD

Exactly. The reception numbers are still respectable last year (although they don’t look as good with people like CMC in the league now) but no one is paying anything close to $10m (or $13m) for a malcontent that failed to rush for more than 4.0 ypc. Sorry Melvin. Sucks being a running back in today’s NFL I know but college is churning beasts out at your position every single year.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Billl said:

Great career.  Terrible signing.

No....he was not a terrible signing

He actually got us through some important parts of the season why Devin S. was down......and Devin has already given him props on showing him how to prepare as a pro for games......

Did he slow down over the course of the season.....yes....personally I think they should have started working Yeldon more when that started happening because of Yeldon's skillset.....

But....as a whole?   Gore was a success

• Like (+1) 3

This was a story reporting on something said in another story. When you go to the original story, here's what was said:

"2. The Bills showed plenty of interest in running backs at the combine. In the past, McDermott has made a point about having a veteran leader in every position room. It looks like the team will lose Frank Gore in that role as he mulls retirement and will become a free agent in a few weeks. The question is whether Devin Singletary needs another veteran in the room or if he’s ready to assume that role after learning from Gore for a year."

There's nothing here ... nothing but a guess.

8 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Are you saying that Gore was misused?  Because I saw a really bad running back that looked like he lost a step by the end of the season. 

Like the Steeler game where he averaged a whopping 1.5 per carry.

Or the Texans playoff game where averaged 2.5 yards 

He is a great leader, good for Singletary, but past his prime and should not have been on the field after Singletary returned.

I love Frank but he was really really bad toward the end of the year.  Please....no more Mike Tolbert, Pat DiMarco or Frank Gore

He was getting stuffed on every 3rd and short.  He was just not a good RB at the end of the year 

8 hours ago, 32ABBA said:

I have to ask how people are quantifying the value of his mentoring abilities with such assurance?

As far as I could tell, the quotes from teammates sounded very much like standard pro athlete platitudes....kind words for an older vet (and one they know the team has developed a narrative for). Yeah, Singletary hung with him a lot, and they had good relationship. Cool.

Would you expect players to say something like  "Frank is okay, we like him, but his skills have diminished, and we just put up with it because the coaches like to have one of "their guys" in the locker room to keep them informed"?

C'mon...he sucked.

I, too, became frustrated when he got stopped on those 3rd and shorts.

But I also asked myself, "why does Daboll keep putting him out there in those situations."  Did you guys ever ask yourselves that?

Add in the fact that everyone with at least one operative eyeball watching Bills games knew what was coming as soon as he took the field in those situations.  It was as smart as the telegraphic empty backfield sets.

I'm not saying I want him to come back.  I'm not saying that his skills have diminished.  I AM saying that he was set up for failure on a lot of his attempts last year.

I was happy when they chose Gore over McCoy when it happened and I was still happy about it throughout the entire season.

14 hours ago, Billl said:

Great career.  Terrible signing.

How was this a terrible signing?  Yes, he faltered the back half of the season, but when that happened, Motor excelled.  His type of mentorship doesn't come around often.  He's a selfless player who would do anything at the benefit of the team.  His impact on Motor allowed him to enjoy success as a rookie.  Gore has laid the foundation for Motor to have a long successful career.  You say terrible signing, I say this was a low risk, high reward signing.

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

How was this a terrible signing?  Yes, he faltered the back half of the season, but when that happened, Motor excelled.  His type of mentorship doesn't come around often.  He's a selfless player who would do anything at the benefit of the team.  His impact on Motor allowed him to enjoy success as a rookie.  Gore has laid the foundation for Motor to have a long successful career.  You say terrible signing, I say this was a low risk, high reward signing.

When you cut a longtime player who this year averaged 4.6 yards a carry and scored 5 TDs to sign a guy who averaged 3.6 yards and scored 2 TDs, that’s a bad signing.  He may well have been the least productive back in the league to get 150+ carries.  Good dude.  Good career.  Hasn’t belonged in the league for 2 years.

8 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

In the NFL you don't choose. You represent every team you played for.

19 hours ago, Gugny said:

But who will Daboll turn to on crucial 3rd and short plays now??? 

I love Frank Gore as a Bill.  I hate how Daboll misused him.  Damn shame.

likely some undersized WR.  or try cramming Singletary up the middle, meanwhile, we will have drafted a guy who is a hammer.  Daboll is nuts.  

3 hours ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

totally agree.  Was a fantastic signing.  Played well in the first half, then ceded carries to the rookie in the second half.  A perfect signing.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

I, too, became frustrated when he got stopped on those 3rd and shorts.

But I also asked myself, "why does Daboll keep putting him out there in those situations."  Did you guys ever ask yourselves that?

Add in the fact that everyone with at least one operative eyeball watching Bills games knew what was coming as soon as he took the field in those situations.  It was as smart as the telegraphic empty backfield sets.

I'm not saying I want him to come back.  I'm not saying that his skills have diminished.  I AM saying that he was set up for failure on a lot of his attempts last year.

I was happy when they chose Gore over McCoy when it happened and I was still happy about it throughout the entire season.

Ok I will give you this.  While I think Gore was terrible the use of him was equally as bad.  All in all, I do feel the Bills would have benefitted from having Yeldon active and Gore on the sidelines.  He would have been a better option but I think he lost the trust of the coaching staff after his fumble in Cincy 

26 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Ok I will give you this.  While I think Gore was terrible the use of him was equally as bad.  All in all, I do feel the Bills would have benefitted from having Yeldon active and Gore on the sidelines.  He would have been a better option but I think he lost the trust of the coaching staff after his fumble in Cincy 

Gore was really good up after week 7 where he was averaging almost 5 YPC.  Seems like the Bills only gave him short yardage carries after that for the most part and since the Bills were mostly terrible at blocking those his YPC tanked.

Edited by matter2003

45 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I agree 100% with this.  I wanted Yeldon active for most of the 2nd half of the season.  The offense was managed very, very poorly.  Not sure if it's all Daboll, or if McDermott called the shots (as far as who was active each week).  Not only with the RB, but also TE and WR.  Kroft should have been shelved; Sweeney should have had more targets and keeping Duke benched all season, only to activate him late and make him a significant piece of the offense IN THE ***** PLAYOFFS … all laughable, Bush League, pathetic roster management and offense game planning.

• Thank you (+1) 1