Do you think if Brady goes back to the Pats that BB will leave?

It makes you wonder what championships (albeit tainted) are ultimately worth. Is it worth the usual roster shakeup and staff departures? Sure. But what about long term upheaval of your franchise? Perhaps not. 

I understand that any working relationship can eventually strain and fray. But this seems to be the death knell of a franchise QB, long tenured coach, and owner at once. I’m fairly surprised that there isn’t a rush for the door by all 3 parties to be the first to leave. That way when the inevitable dip in performance comes, the first one out can say “Look what happened once I left. I was the key.”

10 hours ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

BB cant screw over Kraft, because Kraft knows where the bodies are buried.  And vice versa.  

I dunno.  This assumes that Kraft approaches the situation like a jerk.  I think Kraft might instead be able to massage things and arrive at a happy ending with Belichick.  Gotta hand it to the guy if he does.    

Edited by BillsFanSD
  • Haha (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I don't think Brady was ever a consideration for being traded in early 2018, either by BB or Kraft.  I believe Brady got an extension just before the 2017 season, so he wasn't going anywhere.

Interesting...Brady's dead cap in 2020 is $13.5M with a cap hit of only $6.75M.   I'm not sure he's going anywhere looking at those numbers...assuming spotrac is accurate in this case.  But believing what comes out of NE is almost like believing the economic and corona virus situation data as supplied by China.

Brady doesn't have a contract for 2020

13 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

I dunno.  This assumes that Kraft approaches the situation like a jerk.  I think Kraft might instead be able to massage things and arrive at a happy ending with Belichick.  Gotta hand it to the guy if he does.    

Got it!

9 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Don’t know how true the rumor is, but the Raiders apparently offered him a 2 year 65 million fully guaranteed contract if he goes to Vegas

If true the Patriots better be on the line with the NFL about tampering charges as they aren't allowed to speak to him or his agent until later this week. 

• Like (+1) 1

Kraft can force the signing, and maybe BB does feel Brady still has something left in the tank and while not thrilled with it, is OK with the signing, but there's no way Brady signs there without first having a long sit down with BB and knowing BB, he'd likely to tell Brady straight up, you can sign here, but you may be the highest paid backup in league history and we will be signing another QB of starting caliper, and by the time we do that there'll be very little money left to sign others  to play around you.  So you and Robert have fun together! 

If that were to happen, then likely Brady goes elsewhere.  I don't know if BB would quit as much as get fired.  Does BB have one of those clauses in contract like many stating he has complete control over 53 man roster.  If so, then only he can approve the signing and I'm sure he's reminded Kraft of that many times.

BB has apparently put up with Brady for the past 20 odd years, so why would he jump town now?

24 minutes ago, dje85 said:

If true the Patriots better be on the line with the NFL about tampering charges as they aren't allowed to speak to him or his agent until later this week. 

The rumor is that the Pats have been encouraging Brady and his agent to talk with other teams because they want to get a feel for whether or not Brady will be back and plan for the future.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

BB has apparently put up with Brady for the past 20 odd years, so why would he jump town now?

The rumor is that the Pats have been encouraging Brady and his agent to talk with other teams because they want to get a feel for whether or not Brady will be back and plan for the future.

Huh, Interesting.. 

13 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

The way they had this last contract written up, his contract voided after this year. So that triggered some dead cap. I think they can make it go away if he resigns before FA

ahhh, thanks

9 hours ago, Markaf431 said:

I thought Brady is a straight up UFA. Why would he have a dead cap #?

9 hours ago, MJS said:

Yeah, I heard his 2nd year on the contract automatically voided after the season. Something like that.

According to spotrac, Brady has a 2020 cap hit of $6.75M and a base salary of $30M; he's not listed as a UFA this year.  His 2021 numbers have been voided, so that could be what MJS was referring to.

1 hour ago, nucci said:

Brady doesn't have a contract for 2020

For some reason, spotrac says he does.

16 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

It’s obviously no secret that Belichick wanted To keep Garoppolo and send off Brady. Obviously we  read there was a lot of dysfunction in their front office between Belichick and Kraft due to the Garoppolo trade. I’m wondering if Kraft once again over rules Belichick on Brady that it’ll cause Belichick to leave the Pats. Rumor also has it that Brady and Belichick aren’t getting along that much anymore. Might be one of the reasons why McDaniels hasn’t signed up with any one else. He’s waiting for Belichick to leave

16 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Lol. I think Belichick wants nothing to do with Brady at this point. Just like he knew Bledsoe was done  he knows Brady’s done and he doesn’t want to keep an over 40 year old QB

Yes, so much dysfunction that, as soon as Jimmy G was gone, NE continued on to their 2nd and 3rd consecutive SB appearances (both with "an over 40 year old QB")  and 6th SB win.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

WOW i must really be out of the loop because when the 2 of them were on the top 100 players for 100 yrs in the NFL they had nothing but great things to say about each other, sure with the 2 of them being such strong willed competitors i could see some times that may have been tougher than others but they seemed good . 

I know BB's history is to get rid of his veterans before their time is completely up like he did with Milloy, Seymour & others but Brady's has proved himself through all of those guys to still have what it takes to win even with his skills being less than what they once were .

I think if for nothing but history sake Brady will be back in NE because they want to be the team with the most all time SB wins & their best chance for both is with his team they may have done it last year if he had Gronk on the field with him but he didn't & if that piece is out there i wouldn't put anything past those 2 to be right back there again ...

16 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

It’s all speculation. And probably overblown at that. For all we know they fully support each other and are close friends. Media likes to create stuff like this for entertainment. 
Bill has ran that team to near perfection personnel wise for a very long time I have never believed the media he was overruled on the Jimmy G trade. That guy doesn’t do anything he doesn’t want to do. 

He loves that start topic button that’s for sure. 

I think you contradict yourself, there aint no way they should have given up on Jimmie G, certainly not for a second round pick.  So either Belichek's hand was forced or it weas one of his biggest peronnel blunders ......hardly near perfecion.