Free Agency News and Updates - around the league

YoloinOhio
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Take the Covid19 discussion to one of the several appropriate threads dedicated to it.

I'm about to spend some time I could put to better use cleaning up the thread.

If you can't restrain yourself I will restrain you.

18 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

He had reportedly been expecting about that much if not more per year for multiple years. Obviously still a decent deal for him but I'm sure he was hoping for one more long-ish term pay day. He still might get it too.

I can’t imagine how that is accurate.  He’s 31.  The last 4 seasons he has played in 10, 16, 9 and 0 games, respectively.  That is about half of the total games over that period.  Spotrac estimates his value at 2 years, $18.2M which is $9.1M AAV, or just less than half of what the franchise tag is.  To me he seems like a prime candidate for a heavily incentivized contract with fairly low guarantees and salary, but big incentives achievable if he were to stay healthy and produce like he used to.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Ok then 

Now Bills fans can go back to thinking Conklin is great again.

#makeConklingreatagain

?

Just now, Reed83HOF said:

Every football player known to man should pass on the Jets. ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

Now Bills fans can go back to thinking Conklin is great again.

#makeConklingreatagain

?

Every football player known to man should pass on the Jets. ?

Conklin didn’t allow a single sack as a NY Jet 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

Bummer that AJ is off the table, but not surprising.

We need to acquire another vet WR either via free agency or trade IMO. The free agents I'd be looking at are:

• Paul Richardson
  • Taylor Gabriel
  • Devin Funchess
  • Chris Hogan

Obviously none of these guys are terribly exciting but we need someone that is capable of starting so that we aren't in desperate need of a rookie WR that can start right away. I'm still hoping for a trade but if need be, these guys would do the trick without breaking the bank.

I am unfamiliar with the first two, but what about Funchess or Hogan enthuses you and makes you want them here?  Seeking info.....

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I am unfamiliar with the first two, but what about Funchess or Hogan enthuses you and makes you want them here?  Seeking info.....

Basically just that they have experience as starters (and have had at least some success). Unfortunately this is the situation that we're in. We only have 2 starting caliber WRs and I don't want to be pidgeon-holed into a position where we have to draft a WR that's ready to go from Day 1 rather than potentially a guy like Mims that has great potential but probably can't be counted on right away.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, DJB said:

Conklin 78 overall pff 

80 run

72 pass

For those wondering 

What about his backup that could be a lot more affordable?  Dennis Kelly who I think can compete to start or at vet least give us a swing option as a backup.

2 minutes ago, jdonley1180 said:

Why is Breshad Perriman never in this conversation?

He had a good stretch in Tampa yet before next to nothing. Let's not forget John Brown was signed and replaced him in Baltimore.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, jdonley1180 said:

Perriman is a very good athlete with little production in 4 NFL seasons and has bounced to 3 teams in those 4 years.  He had a little uptick in production late last season after the Buccaneers’ starting WRs were injured.  I think it would be just a shot in the dark if you sign him and hope that he makes any significant impact.

1 hour ago, jdonley1180 said:

People seem to assume he's in line for a monster payday after the way he tore it up over the last 5 games of the season (25-506-5).  However, you won't find much buzz about him online, and I think he ends up signing something in the neighborhood of 3 years/$30M.  I'd be all for it.  He has the traits of a #1 WR, and his recent accomplishments are much more important to me than whatever he did or didn't do in the years prior.

• Thank you (+1) 1