Joe B’s Mock Offseason - FA, draft, extensions and re-signings

YoloinOhio

35 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Even so, has Edwards really been looked at as that strong of a WR prospect?

Coming off a playoff loss, Beane correctly pointed out that the loss reflected the same struggles the team had all season: to "close the deal" and score TDs on drives.

He correctly pointed out that in order to change that, Allen needs "more weapons he can trust to go with the ones he already has"

To have that translate to:

1) a solid RB who was just traded to his 2nd team for a 6th round pick

2) No WR or TE in FA

3) a 3rd round WR

4) a 5th round WR and RB

5) letting a solid starting LG walk and back-filling with a FA who played 1/2 of a game at RG

.....That would be a hell of a cognitive dissonance, that's all I'll say, even if Andrew Thomas turns out to be "All That and a Bag of Chips" out the gate at RT.

He would be a 3-4 rounder pre-injury. Still could be, but I would be concerned

Every one of the FA's from other teams that he wants us to sign sucks. Rhodes is long past his prime and is average at best. Fackrell is also just average on a good day. Everyone else on that list is awful! Levi Wallace is better than Rhodes at this point in his career. He also has us wasting a 2nd round pick on a S that will only  e keeping the bench warm for Hyde and Poyer. I'm glad Joe B isn't the GM. Dear God, what a disasterous offseason that would be! At least he's taking a solid OT in the 1st. Where's the help on the pass rush too? Also, Spain may be replaceable, being about average, but he doesn't bring anyone in capable of taking over at LG. Feliciano is a below average G as well. Almost no help at WR and none at TE. Our offense would be worse, not better.

Edited by GreggTX

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Even so, has Edwards really been looked at as that strong of a WR prospect?

Coming off a playoff loss, Beane correctly pointed out that the loss reflected the same struggles the team had all season: to "close the deal" and score TDs on drives.

He correctly pointed out that in order to change that, Allen needs "more weapons he can trust to go with the ones he already has"

To have that translate to:

1) a solid RB who was just traded to his 2nd team for a 6th round pick

2) No WR or TE in FA

3) a 3rd round WR

4) a 5th round WR and RB

5) letting a solid starting LG walk and back-filling with a FA who played 1/2 of a game at RG

.....That would be a hell of a cognitive dissonance, that's all I'll say, even if Andrew Thomas turns out to be "All That and a Bag of Chips" out the gate at RT.

I usually believe Joe B is on solid ground but not this time.  Based on Beane's after season comments, I'd be shocked if half of this is right.

8 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Every one of the FA's from other teams that he wants us to sign sucks. Rhodes is long past his prime and is average at best. Fackrell is also just average on a good day. Everyone else on that list is awful! Levi Wallace is better than Rhodes at this point in his career. He also has us wasting a 2nd round pick on a S that will only  e keeping the bench warm for Hyde and Poyer. I'm glad Joe B isn't the GM. Dear God, what a disasterous offseason that would be! At least he's taking a solid OT in the 1st. Where's the help on the pass rush too? Also, Spain may be replaceable, being about average, but he doesn't bring anyone in capable of taking over at LG. Feliciano is a below average G as well. Almost no help at WR and none at TE. Our offense would be worse, not better.

Ford would go to G if the Bills grab an OT in the 1st round (or free agency). I would actually like our line a lot but the rest is pretty disastrous!

2 minutes ago, Big C said:

Agree with all the points about not addressing WR, but also wanna say Xavier Rhodes was trash last year and to think we would sign him for $8mil instead of retaining Kevin Johnson seems off.

Here is his thought process 

Sign CB Xavier Rhodes (MIN)
Contract: 1 year, $8 million

There are strong rumors out of Minnesota that Xavier Rhodes will be a cap casualty this offseason. His player profile fits precisely what the Bills usually look for in free agency. Rhodes struggled in 2019, just three years into his lengthy contract extension, and now the Vikings can save approximately $8 million on the cap by releasing him. If he becomes a free agent, the Bills should strike for a player who’s had plenty of success and turns 30 in June. Rhodes’ build, with his tall frame and long arms, is the type McDermott could use in his zone-based defense, which could help Rhodes bounce back in 2020. The cornerback also worked with Bills defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier for one season in Minnesota. It all makes for a compelling case to sign Rhodes to a one-year, prove-it deal. If he flops, he Bills still have Wallace around as a backup.

Bills’ Salary Cap room after the move: ~$56.5 million
(Rhodes replaces OT Ryan Bates’ contract on Top 51)

25 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Here is his thought process 

I suppose that's reasonable. Thanks for sharing. 

Still feel like a prove it deal for Rhodes doesn't accomplish much. We can't sign him to a bigger deal if he hits and we can retain two capable players in Johnson and Wallace on the cheap instead. Wallace had some rough patches but I think he can still play. Rhodes doesn't feel like the missing piece for a super bowl run and I'd rather save the $.

2 minutes ago, Big C said:

I suppose that's reasonable. Thanks for sharing. 

Still feel like a prove it deal for Rhodes doesn't accomplish much. We can't sign him to a bigger deal if he hits and we can retain two capable players in Johnson and Wallace on the cheap instead. Wallace had some rough patches but I think he can still play. Rhodes doesn't feel like the missing piece for a super bowl run and I'd rather save the $.

I actually like Kevin Johnson but the $ value has to match. He’s good but not great, might rather draft one relatively high. I hate Rhodes but whatevs

Edited by YoloinOhio

I read this article earlier and like others came away underwhelmed. I don’t mind the first round pick because it helps the offense, but I don’t know about prioritizing DB over WR in second. Get Josh weapons. That’s all this offseason should be about. I’d love to get Gandy-Golden though. Guy has all the measurables and a ton of potential. 

Also, I get we have our own to re-sign and that won’t be cheap, but come on with those free agents. Beane said as much, so I’m not expecting the moon, but stop apologizing and excuse making about having $80M in cap room. Help Josh!

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

Joe B.'s off-season plan is the safe approach. It also ignores that OBD needs to move from being a 5-6 seed to competing for the division and winning in the playoffs.  And I am extremely confident that McBeane know they need solid starters or better to get there.

I'd also like to see McD finally acquiesce to toward being an offensively dominant team.  That means giving Allen as much talent as possible and realizing offense is what will propel the GM, HC, and QB toward the top of the league. 

• Like (+1) 1

This offseason gives us almost zero weaknesses, defense stays filthy (probably gets better) and the OL/Running Game would be a huge strength - but, as everyone is pointing out, that’s expecting a lot out of Edwards and AGG to get our WR room to the level needed. 

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

This is dumb.

It's like he thought it was opposite day.  He can't be this stupid.

Correct.

He’s not that dumb.

It’s click bait journalism at its finest. He writes this, tweets it out, and because it’s so bad, people talk about and circulate the article. 

The key in all this is that McBeane are not this dumb. 

1 minute ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Correct.

He’s not that dumb.

It’s click bait journalism at its finest. He writes this, tweets it out, and because it’s so bad, people talk about and circulate the article. 

The key in all this is that McBeane are not this dumb. 

Agree with everything.  He's a troll.

6 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

Love it except for neglect of true #1 WR.  Anyone know the reason for Fackrell's big drop off, 10.5 sacks (2018) down to 1 (2019). Was he hurt? I don't follow GB much, so no intel on this signing.

....and Mrs Lincoln was loving the play, other than, well, you know......

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1